Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lee camp's debut

Default Lee camp's debut

One thing i can praise Calderwood for, is for bringing in another goalkeeper, as Smith in my opinion just isnt good enough, and after the performance last night of Lee Camp i think we have a really good keeper in the making. He Commanded his area really well caught just about everything (unlike someone) and his distribution especially some of his throws were quality. So Colin well done on that one, cant see Smith getting his place back now

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Lee camp's debut

One thing I was impressed with was as soon as Camp got the ball in his hands, he threw the ball down looking for a short pass to get the game going from a goal kick.

His collection from crosses and distribution was excellent. If I was CC I'd try and buy him in the January transfer window or get him on a season long loan.

He nearly saved the penalty too.

Yes he did do all those things doesn't make him a great keeper though because he basically didn't have a save to make and apart from the penalty Ipswich never really looked like scoring.

Also all the things highlighted make Camp a great keeper in your eyes because they are things you criticise Smith for. Trust me, give it a few weeks and there will be something Camp doesn't do that you don't like and we will be back to drop him blah blah blah.

My personal opinion is he looks OK.

Quote Originally Posted by mouldy
    Yes he did do all those things doesn't make him a great keeper though because he basically didn't have a save to make and apart from the penalty Ipswich never really looked like scoring.

Also all the things highlighted make Camp a great keeper in your eyes because they are things you criticise Smith for. Trust me, give it a few weeks and there will be something Camp doesn't do that you don't like and we will be back to drop him blah blah blah.

My personal opinion is he looks OK.
    I said he looks a like a good keeper not great and yes time will tell but im just saying i like what i saw, and if i was CC he would now be number my 1.

Rice IV

I didn't go last night, but listened on the radio.

Sounded like Ipswich didn't really get near the goal, with the exception of the shot that hit that bar.

I think the little digs towards Smith are in quite poor taste, we certainly wouldn't have been on 5 points if he hadn't been in goal against Watford, Reading and Charlton.

Comparing a couple of what have been described as easy catches to binkered views on Smith is wrong. In my opinion, give it 3 or 4 games and I think we'll have a better view of who is working better.

For me, Smith is a better goalkeeper, but I fear Camp will work better in the team.

Talk to me, Goose.

Marthur your soul is mine

Why is caldewannk signing derby fans?

Miserable bastard

Quote Originally Posted by cenobite
    Why is caldewannk signing derby fans?
    Don't you ever have anything positive to say?

By the way, you're also wrong.

On 20 October 2008 Camp Joined Nottingham Forest the club he supported as a boy on a three-month loan.

He did alright last night...he was never really under any pressure.

He did seem to be too far off his line for the shot that smacked against the bar though.

Quote Originally Posted by nickl360
    One thing I was impressed with was as soon as Camp got the ball in his hands, he threw the ball down looking for a short pass to get the game going from a goal kick.
    And what happened as a result 9 times out of 10? The player receiving the ball just ended up hoofing the ball upfield themselves as a result of there being noone else to pass to. The reason Smith refrains from the short pass on occasions is due to this, he might as well boot them ball upfield himself.

There was at least one occasion last night where if the Ipswich player had been more alert one of Camp's short passes could have played us into real trouble.

Sadly I think Camp's getting praise simply because he isn't Paul Smith and that just goes to show that Smith isn't being given a fair chance by a fair number of supporters.

Resident foodie!

I agree Baronvon, but I also think Camp isn't going to be given a fair crack by many people because he isn't Paul Smith.

It does work both ways.

I like Smithy, I always have, but if Camp in goal means we win, I couldn't care less!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    I agree Baronvon, but I also think Camp isn't going to be given a fair crack by many people because he isn't Paul Smith.

It does work both ways.

I like Smithy, I always have, but if Camp in goal means we win, I couldn't care less!
    Of course and to be fair to Camp he did a decent job last night and on that basis deserves to keep his place...despite Smith undeservedly losing his.

Still, I feel a sense of duty to point out the blinkered view displayed by some...because I'm a twat.

Resident foodie!

You're not a twat mate. We all know that!

I don't think Smith deserved to be dropped at all. I think I said in Nick's original thread about Camp being available that we don't need him.

But, it's happened. We need to get over it and get behind the team again. Like I say, if he makes a difference because the Nottingham clique are happier then so be it.

I'd rather see us winning or drawing than losing.

Nott'm/scanning the horizon @Brize.......

From last nights performance it was clear that Camp is a keeper who is very vocal not only with regards to the back 4 but to the midfield aswell, his distribution and ability to take the high ball were good, some would no doubt say a breath of fresh air compared to Smith. As for shot stopping and reflex saves (smiths strength) the jury is out as he did'nt have the oppurtunity to show what he can do. The shot that hit the cross bar however was nearly a total embarrasment for Camp, he was at fault standing virtually on the 6 yard line, he was too far out and was beat all ends up! In the long run Camp may instill confidence (in the 2 central defenders who ever they maybe), with regards to them not having to deal with the high ball deep inside the goal area, the pressure will be off for them.

yam

John Middleton was a fan favourite in 1976/77 and there were some unhappy people when he was dropped for Peter Shilton. *After a few games or even his first game (Villa at home I think) I don't think anyone would argue that it was the right thing to do. * *

This is not a dig at Paul Smith, who I think is a good keeper just a reminder that no player should be 100% comfortable in the thought that they are irreplaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by yamyam
    John Middleton was a fan favourite in 1976/77 and there were some unhappy people when he was dropped for Peter Shilton. *After a few games or even his first game (Villa at home I think) I don't think anyone would argue that it was the right thing to do. * *

This is not a dig at Paul Smith, who I think is a good keeper just a reminder that no player should be 100% comfortable in the thought that they are irreplaceable.
    This is so true.
    I was one of them. Why have we spent so much money on a goalkeeper, Middletons really good.
    I watched Shiltons debut against Villa standing in the trent end. we won 2 nil, Shilts had nothing to do.
    However after about 15 mins it became apparent why, he was constantly barracking his defenders, organising them telling them what to do. he was quite simply OUTSTANDING.
    In fact during his time at NFFC he was the best Goalkeeper in the world.
    Prior to his arrival we let 2 goals in at everton, 3 at wolves, 3 at aresenal, but were still top of the league!
    I don't think any team put more than 2 past us after Shiltons arrival.
    Incidentally Middleton was a better goalkeeper than either Smith or Camp. IMHO

Back to Lee Camp. last night on at least 2 occassions he came right to the edge of his area to collect a ball, and once outside his area to kick one away. I'm afraid Smith would have been on his 6 yard line and a shot on goal would have resulted. Smith may well of saved them, and everyone would be saying how great he is. With Camp the situation never arose.
    On last night's performance Smith will not get back in the team.
    Was he on the bench?
    My lad tells me he wasn't, so he's either injured or having a mardy.

Nigel.

Quote Originally Posted by The Congo Red
    Don't you ever have anything positive to say?
    No.
    Nothing positive about playing shit football, a team full of over rated youngsters, a manager and owner with no idea and being bottom of the second division, looking up at piss poor teams/clubs like hull, stoke, wigan, boro, fulham, birmingham, west brom, blackburn, plymouth, cardiff, barnsley, derby, reading, bolton, spurs, portsmouth,charlton, norwich, ipswich, watford, villa etc etc etc etc

Internet tough guy

On that display, I would say that Camp is a better keeper' than Smith. Yes, he did not have a lot of saves to make but what he had to do he did with great skill and confidence. I do think Smith is a good keeper', but I hadn't realised the full extent of his shortcomings until I had seen Camp last night. Smith doesn't make a lot of glaring mistakes and does make the occasional fantastic save, so fans, including myself, think he is a very competant keeper' in this league, and maybe rightly so. However, I believe we would have lost last night if Smith had been in goal. There were 3 or 4 occasions where their forwards got past our defence and went through on goal, only to be stopped by Camp, who came off his line quickly and effectively, some would say too effectively in Bennett's case! We all know one of Smith's biggest weaknesses is his inability to command his area. Last night, Camp stood much further off his line than Smith ever does, and it proved successful as he stopped several one-on-one situations as he was able to get to the ball quicker as he was not rooted to his line. He claimed any crosses that should have been his and his distribution was fantastic; a long throw that reached the half-way line particularly stands out. The confidence and communication between the defence and Camp also looked to be very good last night. For once, they had a keeper' who could tell them where they should be, and for once they knew what the keeper' was going to do, unlike the lottery of Smith's actions. I must say, credit where credit is due, well done CC for bringing a quality keeper' like Camp to the club. This position like CC says affects the players around him more than any other on the pitch and hopefully we can see a steady improvement from our back 5 as the season progresses. *

Cenobite
    I get the picture and actually agree with you. but come on Villa, they don't deserve to be in your list.

Miserable bastard

No.
    Nothing positive about playing shiit football, a team full of over rated youngsters, a manager and owner with no idea and being bottom of the second division, looking up at piiss poor teams/clubs like hull, stoke, wigan, boro, fulham, birmingham, west brom, blackburn, plymouth, cardiff, barnsley, derby, reading, bolton, spurs, portsmouth,charlton, norwich, ipswich, watford, villa etc etc etc etc
    And why, exactly do you think we deserve to be above those teams? Even with a good new chairman, a good manager and better players, we would still have the same exact goals as all of those teams.

Sport is such that there have to be winners and losers, your constant negativity comes across, to me at least, as somewhat whiney and being unable to accept the rough that will come with the smooth.

If you remove Brian Clough from our History, we're exactly where we have always belonged, so why do you, why do WE deserve anything else?

I was impressed, thought he was going to save that peno.

yam

Quote Originally Posted by lif3mouldnn
    This is so true.
    I was one of them. Why have we spent so much money on a goalkeeper, Middletons really good.
    I watched Shiltons debut against Villa standing in the trent end. we won 2 nil, Shilts had nothing to do.
    However after about 15 mins it became apparent why, he was constantly barracking his defenders, organising them telling them what to do. he was quite simply OUTSTANDING.
    In fact during his time at NFFC he was the best Goalkeeper in the world.
    Prior to his arrival we let 2 goals in at everton, 3 at wolves, 3 at aresenal, but were still top of the league!
    I don't think any team put more than 2 past us after Shiltons arrival.
    Incidentally Middleton was a better goalkeeper than either Smith or Camp. IMHO

Back to Lee Camp. last night on at least 2 occassions he came right to the edge of his area to collect a ball, and once outside his area to kick one away. I'm afraid Smith would have been on his 6 yard line and a shot on goal would have resulted. Smith may well of saved them, and everyone would be saying how great he is. With Camp the situation never arose.
    On last night's performance Smith will not get back in the team.
    Was he on the bench?
    My lad tells me he wasn't, so he's either injured or having a mardy.

Nigel.

I'm glad my recollections as an eleven year old have not become addled with time! It all seems so long ago now.......

And why, exactly do you think we deserve to be above those teams? Even with a good new chairman, a good manager and better players, we would still have the same exact goals as all of those teams.

Sport is such that there have to be winners and losers, your constant negativity comes across, to me at least, as somewhat whiney and being unable to accept the rough that will come with the smooth.

If you remove Brian Clough from our History, we're exactly where we have always belonged, so why do you, why do WE deserve anything else?

You can't just erase a clubs history. Every club is built on history. If you removed Man u's history where would they be? Or the scousers history? What a ridiculous comment. We are Nottingham Forest and we do have a tremendous history to be proud of as any other club would be. That's why it's so hard to take where we are, watching us scrape around for emergency loan players that no ones heard of, below all these other clubs that cant hold a candle to the size of our club or its acheivements. I don't enjoy being negative, i'm just being realistic. We are shocking. The club over the last ten years has been shocking. It's not aceptable. Would Man utd, scousers, arsenal etc acept it? NO!
    10 years Hull city were bottom of the fourth division while double european cup winners (and considered one of the top 6 clubs in the country) Nottingham Forest were being relegated from the premier league. What have we done to get back there in that ten years? Nothing!
    What have lowly Hull city done? A lot more!

Miserable bastard

You can't just erase a clubs history. Every club is built on history. If you removed Man u's history where would they be? Or the scousers history? What a ridiculous comment.
    Not quite that ridiculous, they have been succesful pretty much throughout their history. We have just one short period of success.

We are Nottingham Forest and we do have a tremendous history to be proud of as any other club would be. That's why it's so hard to take where we are, watching us scrape around for emergency loan players that no ones heard of, below all these other clubs that cant hold a candle to the size of our club or its acheivements. I don't enjoy being negative, i'm just being realistic. We are shocking. The club over the last ten years has been shocking. It's not aceptable. Would Man utd, scousers, arsenal etc acept it? NO!
    How can you compare us the above clubs who have fans bases and income many times in excess of our own?

10 years Hull city were bottom of the fourth division while double european cup winners (and considered one of the top 6 clubs in the country) Nottingham Forest were being relegated from the premier league. What have we done to get back there in that ten years? Nothing!
    What have lowly Hull city done? A lot more!
    And if Hull were to return from whence they came just as quickly, I doubt that they would suffer anything like the negativity which afflicts our club.

Not quite that ridiculous, they have been succesful pretty much throughout their history. We have just one short period of success.
    We had 18 years of success. Regular cup wins and trips to wembly etc etc. Success is success no matter when it happens and when it stops. Do not deny our clubs success. Revel in it. Expect more.

How can you compare us the above clubs who have fans bases and income many times in excess of our own?
    I didn't mention Man u etc in my list of lowly clubs we look up at from our desperate position. However, I can compare Forest against these teams because i was there when we used to compete and beat these teams on a regular basis. When Forest came to town it was always a big game for the club concerned.....I was there when we took 12,500 people to Old trafford and beat them on their ground again in the days when they hadn't won anything for ages and they would only get 40,00 through the door.
    I was there when we beat arsenal at highbury in the fa cup quarter final in 89 when we took 7,000 down. I was at spurs when roy keane thundered in a header for yet another away victory at white heart lane, I was at Newcastle for a wednesday night game in front of only 17,000 at St james after they'd just been promoted from the second division. I was there when we beat chelsea 5-1 on their own ground and 7-1 at the city ground not so long ago...I've seen us beat em all. I'm not deluded or in denial. We are a big club. I can compare us against said clubs, beacause we used to be up there with them. Football hasn't always been as you're force fed it on sky these days. There was a time when it wasn't just about 'the big four'.

And if Hull were to return from whence they came just as quickly, I doubt that they would suffer anything like the negativity which afflicts our club.
    Well they wouldn't cause they've never been there before. This highlights my point. It's a privelage, an honour, an amazing acheivement for them. Not for us. That is where we belong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baronvon
    And what happened as a result 9 times out of 10? The player receiving the ball just ended up hoofing the ball upfield themselves as a result of there being noone else to pass to. The reason Smith refrains from the short pass on occasions is due to this, he might as well boot them ball upfield himself.

There was at least one occasion last night where if the Ipswich player had been more alert one of Camp's short passes could have played us into real trouble.

Sadly I think Camp's getting praise simply because he isn't Paul Smith and that just goes to show that Smith isn't being given a fair chance by a fair number of supporters.
    Oh I forgot, Smith is better because he hoofs it up the field to Earnie. Enough said!