Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LA Noire

Default LA Noire

Anyone played it? Is it worth buying?

I'm a massive fan of the GTA series and as that won't be out for a while thought I might buy it to keep me going.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: LA Noire

it's nothing like GTA.

You can't take your eye off it for one second.

TheDude

Finished it the other day. I made the mistake of skipping some of the video scenes.

As previously mentioned, it's nothing like gta.
    But it is bloody brilliant. The way you interact more with the story is great. The graphics have stepped up as well.
    Highly recommend it

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Second that, it's really good and unlike many things with a new technology it doesn't get tired after the first few cases

"Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

Senior Member?

Amazing game, there's loads of posts about it on this thread

Very repetitive...go to crime scene look for clues, identify suspect/s, question suspect/s, chase suspects, case closed. Looks lovely though.

Every game is repetitive if you break it down to it's basic parts. Like, I've just started Dirt 3 which you can just say is racing along a track x infinity...

Didn't find LA Noire repetitive at all to be honest. Case to case and desk to desk it's quite different inbetween finding the clues, there's a mix of tailing, shoot outs, interrogation (not every crime ends in an interrogation and charge), plus it's very story driven and you find out more and more each case.

The end was very, very strange.

Victor Meldrew

The graphics are really poor. It's like a 2011 version of Pong.

Last one standing

Quote Originally Posted by adam09

The end was very, very strange.
    Don't tell me it! I've yet to buy.

TheDude

I don't understand the ending

There is going to be a sequel

On the next to last level now so don't want to know the ending.
    I've enjoyed it but I think it's important you take the game for what it is and let yourself get sucked into the storyline.
    Don't in anyway expect GTA as you could be dissapointed.
    It's a great game IMO in it's own right.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzcarraldo View Post
    Very repetitive...go to crime scene look for clues, identify suspect/s, question suspect/s, chase suspects, case closed. Looks lovely though.
    I started thinking that about halfway through the game. I thought it would be good searching the crime scenes for clues but the pad vibration just tells you where everthing is (reminded me of the twinkling items in Res Evil).

I did like the idea of starting as a beat cop and working your way through, but it all seemed as if it were rushed. The size of the city compared to the last GTA game was impressive but unlike those games I didnt feel the need to go exploring - no side missions apart from the street crime, terrible handling on the cars, terrible AI on the other traffic, you can't even get your gun out.

The interrogations were good in places, but nothing special. I thought they were going to be a little more in depth than having around 3/4 questions per-person with 3 choices ..... well narrowed down to 2 really when it was clear the character was lying.

The animation on the faces was incredible, but after playing the game I did get the feeling that it was little more than a tech demo for the next GTA game. All the little side bits that make a GTA game good were taken out to make room (on 3 discs!!!!) for the animations.

I like it- atmospheric and gameplay is good. It does get a bit repetetive, (I have started smashing into other cars as I drive to crime scenes to eleviate boredom) not much difference in storylines as far as I have got, but finish it quickly and I'll sell it at Argos win win!

This game isn't like GTA? Who'd have thought it. The driving seems pretty flawless to me, and so it should be. No game should be fucking up something as simple as driving in this day and age! And you're not supposed to be able to just 'get your gun out'. Again, it isn't actually Grand Theft Auto so you're not supposed to be shooting random people for fun.

Agree about the lack of exploration though. For a map that size, the main story doesn't really take you around the city enough. One case takes you to a few new locations (though you're expected to work out where to go, even though 99% of people hadn't been to those places before!)

You can also turn the vibration and help for clues off in the options. It's still pretty easy to find clues without help anyways.

Apparantly after the 2 new DLC cases, there isn't any more "planned". But they bloody well should release what was cut out of the game, because the main story seemed pretty short and there's not much replay value other than swiftly going through to 5 star what you didn't first time around.

Quote Originally Posted by adam09 View Post
    This game isn't like GTA? Who'd have thought it. The driving seems pretty flawless to me, and so it should be. No game should be fucking up something as simple as driving in this day and age! And you're not supposed to be able to just 'get your gun out'. Again, it isn't actually Grand Theft Auto so you're not supposed to be shooting random people for fun.

Agree about the lack of exploration though. For a map that size, the main story doesn't really take you around the city enough. One case takes you to a few new locations (though you're expected to work out where to go, even though 99% of people hadn't been to those places before!)

You can also turn the vibration and help for clues off in the options. It's still pretty easy to find clues without help anyways.

Apparantly after the 2 new DLC cases, there isn't any more "planned". But they bloody well should release what was cut out of the game, because the main story seemed pretty short and there's not much replay value other than swiftly going through to 5 star what you didn't first time around.
    I dont mean its not like GTA, I mean its not up to the same standard as GTA - take away the USP of the facial animations and this would be nothing too special. It seemed as if you were running through the cases and it was like 'in this scene you get to chase the guy/ this one you get to have a little shoot out/ this one you go into a bar full of people but you can only interact with one of them' - I'd have liked a little freedom to play the game whatever way you like and the events to react to how you do things rather than it all being so scripted.

I just had a look at the map again and I can't remember ever going to the South East area during a mission, makes me think why's it even there. I thought the case where you had to find the new locations would give you a reason to explore but if you check your map it actually highlights where all the landmarks are for you to go to.

I hadn't heard much about the DLC but I wasnt expecting much in the way of add ons just because of the work they'd have to put in mo-capping the actors and putting it all into the game. I understand what you mean about something being cut out, it did seem as if the game changed direction really randomly for no apparant reason before it just ends.

The kind of flexibility and freedom you're asking for there would surely take an age and a heap of work to implent! Nice idea though and I'm sure one day soon there will be a game like that.

But really, the cases are not much more limited than GTA's missions other than you can't mindlessly wreck stuff and kill people, but that's the point, you're playing a 'goodie' in LA Noire.

Quote Originally Posted by adam09 View Post
    The kind of flexibility and freedom you're asking for there would surely take an age and a heap of work to implent! Nice idea though and I'm sure one day soon there will be a game like that.

But really, the cases are not much more limited than GTA's missions other than you can't mindlessly wreck stuff and kill people, but that's the point, you're playing a 'goodie' in LA Noire.
    Talking to my brother about the same point and we come up with the idea that it may have been better (to me at least) if you played the game as a private eye. So you'd be a good guy who's kind of outside the law

I don't like it probably because I have the attention span of a 3 year old!

Quote Originally Posted by The_City_Is_Ours View Post
    I started thinking that about halfway through the game. I thought it would be good searching the crime scenes for clues but the pad vibration just tells you where everthing is (reminded me of the twinkling items in Res Evil).

I did like the idea of starting as a beat cop and working your way through, but it all seemed as if it were rushed. The size of the city compared to the last GTA game was impressive but unlike those games I didnt feel the need to go exploring - no side missions apart from the street crime, terrible handling on the cars, terrible AI on the other traffic, you can't even get your gun out.

The interrogations were good in places, but nothing special. I thought they were going to be a little more in depth than having around 3/4 questions per-person with 3 choices ..... well narrowed down to 2 really when it was clear the character was lying.

The animation on the faces was incredible, but after playing the game I did get the feeling that it was little more than a tech demo for the next GTA game. All the little side bits that make a GTA game good were taken out to make room (on 3 discs!!!!) for the animations.
    You can turn this off in the settings.

They should have made you go through the settings at the start of the game to change things to suit. You can also play in black and white, which I didn't know until saw it posted on a forum.

No wonder my post count..

Quote Originally Posted by NFFC Johan View Post
    I don't like it probably because I have the attention span of a 3 year old!
    Hear here brother. I'm the same too with games like these.

Is there a multiplayer on this? That's the only reason I ever buy Rockstar games anyway.

MOTHERFUCKINGDEXTERBLOODYBLACKSTOCKOHMYFUCKINGGODY ESGETINYOUMOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FUCKINGHAVESOMEOFTHATYOUCUNTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tomharding View Post
    Hear here brother. I'm the same too with games like these.

Is there a multiplayer on this? That's the only reason I ever buy Rockstar games anyway.

Don't think so, I'm more of a GTA run around with a flamethrower kinda guy anyway!

Senior Member?

Finished it last night, such a really good game, the best I've played since RDR this time last year.

Rockstar

Last one standing

Will wait until the price drops a bit before buying. I've got about £8 on my nectar card I could spend on it too.