Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 181
  1. #151
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Fterno, Lefkada
    Posts
    7,474

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    Had a great night one year in a pub in Leicester full of students of all nationalities watching in.

    Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #152
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Fterno, Lefkada
    Posts
    7,474

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    It

    Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


  4. #153
    It's all about mid-table...
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wetherspoons
    Posts
    15,707

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    Looked for this result this morning before the FA cup final result.

    How far as football fallen? Or is it just me?


  5. #154
    May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    39,023

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    They spent 50 minutes patiently racking up the country's scores "douze points" at a time slowly slowly, country by country.

    And then...

    "The public vote awards Spain ... Two hundred and sixty eight points".

    WTAF?

    Why on earth can't they communicate the public vote results for each country TO each country... The voting then goes "and the UK jury gives 12 points to (country) and the UK public vote gives 12 points to (country)."

    By "relegation battle", do you mean 7th, 12th or 14th?

    Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

  6. #155
    Not that type of player
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Niche Club
    Posts
    32,481

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    The voting is largely political and has very little to do with whatever song we have entered. We always finish near the bottom because the rest of Europe are envious of our magnificent musical tradition.

    "Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

  7. #156

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    How did Bucks Fizz win?


  8. #157
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    France
    Posts
    16,264

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    The voting is largely political and has very little to do with whatever song we have entered. We always finish near the bottom because the rest of Europe are envious of our magnificent musical tradition.
    It might be more to do with the UK ignoring its own "magnificent musical tradition" and submitting utter dross instead?

    A bit like the England Football Team of the 70s and 80s when we were dominating Europe at club level and piss poor at National level.

    The FA probably choose the Euro songs as well?


  9. #158
    Not that type of player
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Niche Club
    Posts
    32,481

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    How did Bucks Fizz win?
    That was a hundred years ago.


  10. #159
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In isolation.
    Posts
    12,538

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    The voting is largely political and has very little to do with whatever song we have entered. We always finish near the bottom because the rest of Europe are envious of our magnificent musical tradition.
    Has there been a great UK entry based on our great musical tradition thatvwas worthy of winning?

    We shall meet again before long to march to new triumphs - Giuseppe Garibaldi | vivit post funera virtus - Emprorer Tiberius

  11. #160
    Not that type of player
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Niche Club
    Posts
    32,481

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Juif Rouge View Post
    It might be more to do with the UK ignoring its own "magnificent musical tradition" and submitting utter dross instead?

    A bit like the England Football Team of the 70s and 80s when we were dominating Europe at club level and piss poor at National level.

    The FA probably choose the Euro songs as well?
    I haven't heard the UK song, but from having to sit through it in recent years I noticed that much of the voting is a country popularity contest.

    Maybe it is more important to the other countries. Desperately trying to prove that they can make music too.

    I did notice that the Iceland punks did the Israeli cause a power of good with their 'protest'.


  12. #161
    Not that type of player
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Niche Club
    Posts
    32,481

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    Has there been a great UK entry based on our great musical tradition thatvwas worthy of winning?
    I don't know, but other than the best couple of songs the voting is political.


  13. #162

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    That was a hundred years ago.
    It was better then.


  14. #163

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    The voting is largely political and has very little to do with whatever song we have entered. We always finish near the bottom because the rest of Europe are envious of our magnificent musical tradition.
    Did you watch it this year Rav?

    In past years I'd totally agree, and there was definitely still an element of that this year with a handful of votes. But the public vote system changes that to a large degree and, overall, I would say that the better songs grabbed the top spots.

    It's still all cheesy, SJW bullshit with "good" songs being really bad cheesy shit performed well, but it's good for laughs.


  15. #164
    Not that type of player
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Niche Club
    Posts
    32,481

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery View Post
    Did you watch it this year Rav?

    In past years I'd totally agree, and there was definitely still an element of that this year with a handful of votes. But the public vote system changes that to a large degree and, overall, I would say that the better songs grabbed the top spots.

    It's still all cheesy, SJW bullshit with "good" songs being really bad cheesy shit performed well, but it's good for laughs.
    I didn't watch it this year Alf. A sizable public vote sounds like a much better way of finding a winner.

    I agree, it's generally good for laughs.


  16. #165
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    It reminds me of that programme Eurotrash, just with a different type of tits on show.


  17. #166
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Milan, Italy
    Posts
    5,691

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery View Post
    Did you watch it this year Rav?

    In past years I'd totally agree, and there was definitely still an element of that this year with a handful of votes. But the public vote system changes that to a large degree and, overall, I would say that the better songs grabbed the top spots.

    It's still all cheesy, SJW bullshit with "good" songs being really bad cheesy shit performed well, but it's good for laughs.
    Boring muso facts about Eurovision, since 200 most winners have been in a minor key. 15 of the last 20 in fact. And Major key songs have finished bottom twice as often as minor keys do.

    The winner this year..Am (2nd Ebm, 3rd Gm, 4th Bm and 5th Dm )...UK's effort C major...and with one of those awful key changes. We hardly cover ourselves in glory on the European gay song writing scene.

    Incidentally, the Italian entrant caused all manner of fuss when he won the right to represent Italy as our resident knuckledraggers insisted that Mahmood wasn't Italian enough and wanted the second placed chap instead..

    "Salvare il mondo è un lavoro del diavolo"

  18. #167

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    Quote Originally Posted by Huxley View Post
    Boring muso facts about Eurovision, since 200 most winners have been in a minor key. 15 of the last 20 in fact. And Major key songs have finished bottom twice as often as minor keys do.

    The winner this year..Am (2nd Ebm, 3rd Gm, 4th Bm and 5th Dm )...UK's effort C major...and with one of those awful key changes. We hardly cover ourselves in glory on the European gay song writing scene.

    Incidentally, the Italian entrant caused all manner of fuss when he won the right to represent Italy as our resident knuckledraggers insisted that Mahmood wasn't Italian enough and wanted the second placed chap instead..
    Sounds about right. They're suckers for the "deeper" stuff

    I though the same with our entry, second that 3/4's key change hit the facepalming went into overdrive. So utterly forgettable.

    Was disapointed with the Italian entry all round as well. They did well to get the points they did.


  19. #168
    The Clapham Crusader
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The Cockpit
    Posts
    22,058

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    Hadn't heard the UK song so just listened to it.

    Nothing interesting about it whatsoever. Completely forgettable.


  20. #169
    Warp Speed Chic
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    7,255

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    Has there been a great UK entry based on our great musical tradition thatvwas worthy of winning?
    Me, Bryn and Lefkasman could knock out a few Joy Division covers if everyone's up for it.

    "Europe, Europe is falling apart again"


  21. #170
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    Quote Originally Posted by Huxley View Post

    Incidentally, the Italian entrant caused all manner of fuss when he won the right to represent Italy as our resident knuckledraggers insisted that Mahmood wasn't Italian enough and wanted the second placed chap instead..
    I didn't see what the fuss was about that entry. It certainly wasn't a Francesco Gabbani, he waz robbed.

    Last edited by Trents; 20-05-19 at 13:34.

  22. #171
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    75,880

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    Me, Bryn and Lefkasman could knock out a few Joy Division covers if everyone's up for it.

    "Europe, Europe is falling apart again"
    I’ll chip-in a German-themed „The Boys are Back in Town“:



    „I believe in socialism because it seems more humanitarian, rather than every man for himself and 'I'm alright jack' and all those arsehole businessmen with all the loot. I made up my mind from viewing society from that angle. That's where I'm from and there's where I've made my decisions from. That's why I believe in socialism“

    — Joe Strummer

  23. #172
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In isolation.
    Posts
    12,538

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Hadn't heard the UK song so just listened to it.

    Nothing interesting about it whatsoever. Completely forgettable.
    How do you know you hadn't heard it before?


  24. #173
    The Clapham Crusader
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The Cockpit
    Posts
    22,058

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    How do you know you hadn't heard it before?
    ?


  25. #174
    Warp Speed Chic
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    7,255

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    I’ll chip-in a German-themed „The Boys are Back in Town“:

    Can you play drums? We've got the guitars covered


  26. #175
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    75,880

    Default Re: watching eurovision?

    Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    Can you play drums? We've got the guitars covered
    Sounds like it’s going to be a Josh-Homme-Eagles-of-Death-Metal job?


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •