Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: Players retained before Commons ?

Banned

Default Players retained before Commons ?

So he has gone and at the moment a great deal of emotional flack is flying about because of his destination......

All that aside and think of him in the terms of an asset, the costs matched against the impact he is likely to make in the division above. He could not be really considered the first name down on Forest's team sheet this season and with good cause. So a player who failed to set division 3 on fire week in week out has left us.

Against the players remaining and starting the new season with Forest are many men who I do prefer to see staying than leaving, agree or disagree as you se fit but before Commons as a valued item to the cause of Nottingham Forest football Club, based on peformance, appearances and costs are..

Smith
    Wilson
    Chambers
    Morgan
    Perch
    Tyson
    Cohen
    Clingan
    McGugan
    Thornhill
    Bennett

Would go further to say if Forest signed Omerod as a squad man I would view it as a decent move and hope Davies will get a full pre-season this time and a chance to prove his worth.

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Players retained before Commons ?

Agree with all of that - was saying pretty much the same thing to Dan last night. Calderwood seems to be doing a good job of clearing the decks with Lockwood, Grolt and Commons all heading out hopefully to be replaced by more capable players

Agree too. With McGugan and Thornhill coming through to competently handle first team football (and even thrive) Commons loss is not a great one at all. He's not the player many make out to be, but I can't deny he's a very creative player when he's at his best, which isn't that often really. Whatsmore, if it has helped someone like Earnshaw come to Forest, then it's good

It started with Megson clearing the deadwood (we won't comment on his football style) and CC is getting rid of the last few dregs that he thinks won't fit in.

It all sounds good to me

Miserable bastard

For me, the biggest gap his leaving creates is set-piece delivery. We don't really have anyone else in the squad who consistently delivers good free-kicks or corners, which needs to be rectified, either by finding someone in the current squad who can, or by bringing someone new in.

1 Thing I think Calderwood has always been good at is man management, he doesnt seem to take any shite and it appears he definatly sorts stuff out behind the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by congo_red
    For me, the biggest gap his leaving creates is set-piece delivery. We don't really have anyone else in the squad who consistently delivers good free-kicks or corners, which needs to be rectified, either by finding someone in the current squad who can, or by bringing someone new in.
    Are you being serious?

I can not remember the last time Commons put a good corner in, and he has never really hit any special free kicks. Apparently this McGugan lad is pretty hot with his free kicks + dead balls.

Exhibit 1: Lewis's free-kick against Yeovil on the last day. Pure brilliance.

I think we will be fine in that area. just have to worry about corners, but possibily Clingan or Lewis to take them.

Aren't Cohen and Davies free kick takers as well? I'm sure that when Commons was injured Cohen was firing in the corners?

Clingan is capable of delivering a good ball from a corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Squibbit
    Aren't Cohen and Davies free kick takers as well? I'm sure that when Commons was injured Cohen was firing in the corners?
    Ah good point, I forgot about Cohen. I think he may take the majority of them.

Miserable bastard

Quote Originally Posted by smithy
    Are you being serious?
    Deadly. We went on a run of about 4 or 5 matches where the only goals we scored were from his dead-ball deliveries.

Quote Originally Posted by smithy
    I can not remember the last time Commons put a good corner in, and he has never really hit any special free kicks. Apparently this McGugan lad is pretty hot with his free kicks + dead balls.
    McGugan is good at putting free-kicks straight in the top corner, from a certain range, granted. I was more referring to the types of free-kicks which are delivered to someone else in the the box, which, in my opinion, he's not shown any talent for.

Quote Originally Posted by sedgred
    Would go further to say if Forest signed Omerod as a squad man
    I don't understand this.. if Ormerod only came on loan to us to get some regular football, why would he sign for us knowing he's not going to be starting every week?

Long Serving Member

Quote Originally Posted by FBS
    Ah good point, I forgot about Cohen. I think he may take the majority of them.
    Something I've often wondered.

What fecking foot is Cohen's preffered one? He seems to play with his right, stays on the left but takes set pieces with his left.

I think he's just very ambidextrous

Rice IV

Spot on Sedge, I said it last season, and I think it applies this season too.

Whilst all the fuss was about whether Commons would stay or go, my biggest fear was that Smith would leave us.

If we retain Smith, we'll do well in the Championship.

Talk to me, Goose.

Quote Originally Posted by richjcrouch
    If we retain Smith, we'll do well in the Championship.
    Am I the only person who has heart palpitations every time a cross comes into the box with Smith in goal?

I agree sedgered i don't believe losing commons is a bad thing ,I could think of others who would upset me more if they left

Quote Originally Posted by vance warner
    Am I the only person who has heart palpitations every time a cross comes into the box with Smith in goal?
    I mentioned this before, but when we signed him 2 years ago I was told by a couple of Southampton fans that we had just signed a possible future England keeper.

Now I will admit that it probably was an exaggeration, but he has continued to show that he is a quality keeper and hopefully this will continue...

AKA Randy Bumgardener

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno
    Something I've often wondered.

What fecking foot is Cohen's preffered one? He seems to play with his right, stays on the left but takes set pieces with his left.

I think he's just very ambidextrous
    Don't know about that mate, but he's certainly good with both feet

'The cross came in from Majewski, and Blackstock slid in, Gabriel Tamas attached to him in the manner in which a baby chimpanzee clings to its mother' Dexter Blackstock vs West Brom

McGugan is good at putting free-kicks straight in the top corner, from a certain range, granted. I was more referring to the types of free-kicks which are delivered to someone else in the the box, which, in my opinion, he's not shown any talent for.
    two words - Carlisle away

Maybe CC didn't want to offer him a new deal. A bit like the 'Henry effect' at Arsenal, and he saw something we couldn't. I'm still trying to get my head around this.

oopsy daisy!

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    Maybe CC didn't want to offer him a new deal. A bit like the 'Henry effect' at Arsenal, and he saw something we couldn't. I'm still trying to get my head around this.
    Commons held us to ransom last season. At the first sign of it this time Calderwood decided we could do better, cheaper.

Had Commons really wanted to be a Forest player he probably could have been one.

(Or maybe there were issues none of us are aware of)

Strong management. CC is showing he won't be messed around. Good for him.

I hope I don't regret these words when he's not replaced adequately!

The thing is, when Southall went he was a propper right winger, Commons doesn't have a propper position so cannot get a direct replacement for him. Cunning move Colin

Maybe Davies was always intended to be a replacement for Commons when\if he went or was not available.

I think maybe Cohen is the replacement for Commons. I think maybe he's been played centrally more because commons or davies was on the left?

Anyway, Claridge gives him a good write up as a left winger:
    http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/20..._cohen_no.html