Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: Triesman calls for salary cap

Resident foodie!

Default Triesman calls for salary cap

BBC Link

What do you think?

It's hard to imagine the debt that the top clubs are in, and £3bn is a ridiculous amount but Triesman is right.

I know that Richard Scudamore is well within his rights to criticise the FA over their own debt, but I do think he should be trying to put something into place so clubs wouldn't run up such ridiculous debts.

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Miserable bastard

Default Re: Triesman calls for salary cap

A salary cap will only work if every league in the world adopts it, otherwise players will simply move on to another country where they can earn more money.

A salary cap also traditionally results in some problematic behaviours. Firstly, older players tend to be on much higher salaries than younger players who are seen to have the same ability (or potential ability), this makes it harder for older players to find a club willing to take them on, the end result of this is that younger players don't have as many senior professionals around them from which to learn their trade.

Finally, you get a number of 'big-name' clubs, the Manchester Uniteds and Real Madrids of this world, for who top players will actually be happy to accept less money to play for than they would demand from a lesser club, in exchange for guaranteed trophies and the like. Making the big clubs even stronger than they ever were, while the also-rans become weaker.

Their also needs to be strong consideration for what happens if a club exceeds it's salary cap. If it's a pourely financial penalty, then the big clubs will simply flaunt the rules anyway. If it's a points deduction, then many clubs will still do it anyway, seeing a stronger side as being able to make up for the points lost.

Rice IV

Perhaps rather than a salary cap, there should be aset amount of money a club can spend per season.

This could encapsulate transfers, bonuses, wages etc.

That way, if a club were to need a bigger squad, the players would have to be of a slightly lower quality, meaning players wouldn't be paid shed loads to sit on the bench.

Most clubs would then introduce a payment system like at Forest, where people are paid for what they do, rather than just paid, regardless of results.

The amount of money they are allowed to spend could be altered slightly if the club are prgressing through Europe, as that would mean more games, and more win bonuses etc.

Equally, if a club ahs ambitions of winning the league, they could buy 11 great players and pay them loads, but have no reserve money for more players to ease the passage into Europe.

I think it would be great to see, plus really good as we would know how much money a club has left to spend and such like.

There would have to be some good wheeling and dealing, and we would see more transfers.

I also believe there should be a management transfer window, much like a players transfer window.

Not that they can't be sacked at any time, but clubs shoudl only be allowed to appoint managers up to 1 month before the start of the season and in December.

That would at least ensure the ridiculous management merry go round stopped.

Talk to me, Goose.

Miserable bastard

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan J Shamrock
    Not that they can't be sacked at any time, but clubs shoudl only be allowed to appoint managers up to 1 month before the start of the season and in December.

That would at least ensure the ridiculous management merry go round stopped.
    ....or on the other hand could cause total carnage in December with any chairman feeling slightly twitchy deciding to get rid of the manager now, just in case, as they won't have another opportunity until the end of the season?

never going to happen, and even if it does happen, it'll be sky high and won't make much difference. will the tv deal be reduced? will the teams reduce ticket prices (unlikely)? seems just a way to get more money in fat cats pockets.

i'd rather players were paid than board members

What a load of nonsense.

Let's cap salaries in the Legal and Finance industries, and private healthcare sector first. Why is it that we are seeking to limit the earning capacity of footballers?

Why would a supposed Communist punish young working class men in pretty much the only pursuit that is likely to elevate them from their circumstances?

Improve inner-city schools to the degree that kids like Jermaine Jenas have a chance to make their millions through other endeavours. Until then, football largely represents their only chance of getting out of Clifton, so why take it away from them?

An absolute crock of sh*t. No doubt The Sun, Times et al will applaud the suggestion as being long overdue, proving once and for all that our priorities are well and truly f*cked in this country.

Stuff like this makes me really angry.

Quote Originally Posted by joenottingham1979
    Also I can't agree with the 'getting out of clifton' bit because how many people actually go from being in poverty to being a top footballer.
    Not many, but fewer go from poverty to CEO of a multinational money-lender.

Spot on. You're much better than jrthelord...

Quote Originally Posted by joenottingham1979
    yeh true.

I just hate the wealth that people seem to think they must acquire, How the f**k can you earn £140,000 a week?

short answer is that you can't really, you can be paid it but never actually earn that money.
    we could tax them? 90% would do the trick.

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

Triesman calls for salary cap...

meanwhile, back at the ranch...

UEFA muses banning debt-laden clubs from European competitions.

Mind you, that would affect ManUre, Liverpoo Arsenal and Chelsea (as well as West Ham, now that Gudmundsson's bank has gone tits-up)

So that won't happen either.

"This statement is false."

Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

I think a salary cap should of been brought in along time ago.
    Some of the rise is partly due to the greedy-ness of the footballers.

Victor Meldrew

I ADMIRE THE PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD THAT HAVE LEARNED TO READ AND WRITE PROPERLY.
    Unfortunately, this is about three people.

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

Quote Originally Posted by Anatoli
    I ADMIRE THE PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD THAT HAVE LEARNED TO READ AND WRITE PROPERLY.
    Unfortunately, this is about three people.
    So that's you, Winnits and Sedgred...anyone else?!

I fail to see why a Tribesman would care....

[img width=421 height=360]http://www.jerrymckellar.com/gallery/images/new-guinea-tribesman-2.jpg[/img]