Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: Nintendo 3DS

Default Nintendo 3DS

Out in 2 weeks time, Discuss.

No doubt the daily mail will claim it gives people eye cancer.

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Last one standing

It'll give me headaches. Tried a 3D telly (with the 'active' glasses) and they gave me a headache for the rest of the day. If the 3DS is the same, it can fuck off. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Col View Post
    It'll give me headaches. Tried a 3D telly (with the 'active' glasses) and they gave me a headache for the rest of the day. If the 3DS is the same, it can fuck off. lol
    No glasses required, just clever tech

winnits

Does that mean you have to 'look through' the screen?

Last one standing

Quote Originally Posted by Winnits View Post
    Like the 'Magic Eye' pictures! Bit of a gimmick, if so.

winnits

Default Re: Nintendo 3DS

I can't think of any other way, without inventing holograms, that you could get decent 3Dness without glasses.

Miserable bastard

Basically, yes!

The 3DS works using a process known as Autostereoscopy - implemented through a parallax barrier system.

The 3DS' actual screen is behind a barrier, which has a series of precision 'slits' which allow each eye to see a different set of pixels, creating pseudo-depth through parallax - very similar to old Lenticular 'moving image' cards that always seemed to be given away in cereal boxes, when I was a lad.

TheDude

Put down the gameboys lads and go get girlfriends.

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

"Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Put down the gameboys lads and go get girlfriends.
    Having both is best

winnits

Quote Originally Posted by congo_red View Post
    Basically, yes!

The 3DS works using a process known as Autostereoscopy - implemented through a parallax barrier system.

The 3DS' actual screen is behind a barrier, which has a series of precision 'slits' which allow each eye to see a different set of pixels, creating pseudo-depth through parallax - very similar to old Lenticular 'moving image' cards that always seemed to be given away in cereal boxes, when I was a lad.
    So that's not the same at all - they're just placing the filtering that glasses would do in the unit. That means that presumably you'd have a very restricted angle and distance of viewing the screen for it to be effective (not that that's likely to vary tremendously anyway with a handheld device, I guess).

Will be interesting to have a squib at one at some point.

Miserable bastard

So that's not the same at all - they're just placing the filtering that glasses would do in the unit.
    Sort of...although there's some very cever tech in there which even I don't really understand, that can make the slits larger or smaller, by making bits of the barrier translucent - in fact the whole 'barrier' turns translucent to switch to 2D mode..by switching he size of the slits, it can dynamically alter the angles of refraction and such like, which obviously glasses can't.

winnits

Active shutter glasses sort of can - but yeah, a very interesting innovation - particularly for pub-based 3D

Living the dream

Quote Originally Posted by Andy! View Post
    Having both is best
    Not the 2d picture kind

any1 getting one friday ?

Last one standing

On account of the gay adverts, no. lol

Obviously you can't convey 3D gaming on normal telly, so what's the next best thing? Uninteresting people blabbing on about how amazing it is.

Don't know why but I want one probably because streetfighter 4 looks so good on it

I've had a play and the 3D is excellent from an actual gaming perspective. Gives you a sense of depth you just don't get from 2D. From the games I got to try it's made ridge racer fun again. Pilotwings is a tiny bit disappointing but shows off the advantages in judgement brilliantly and street fighter is top class. PES seems decent but maybe best is Ghost Recon by the maker of XCom. Plus a chance to play Ocarina of Time again shortly!

Last edited by BigHeartSmallPenis; 25-03-11 at 04:49.

Well I have one, anyone else ?

No wonder my post count..

Quote Originally Posted by BigHeartSmallPenis View Post
    I've had a play and the 3D is excellent from an actual gaming perspective. Gives you a sense of depth you just don't get from 2D. !
    Hmmm you think? :P

MOTHERFUCKINGDEXTERBLOODYBLACKSTOCKOHMYFUCKINGGODY ESGETINYOUMOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FUCKINGHAVESOMEOFTHATYOUCUNTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me sir traded in my DSi, what are your thoughts on it so far? I tried it on the tour but so far have only bought SF and Ghost recon. The reviews put me off pilotwings which is a shame as it was the launch title I was most looking forward for.

Maybe I didn't explain well Tom: I just meant it isn't simply a cool gimic but really helps the game play.

grrrr!!!!!! fucking 3D sick of all this new stuff coming out im hoping it bombs tbh, sky 3D, 3D t.vs, 3D cinema films with "amazing 3D effects" and now 3D gaming I hate you all............ yes all of you that can actualy see 3D I bloody hate you im sick of hearing about how fecking good it is.

oh the reason for my rant is im partialy sighted in one eye so cant see bloody 3D and yes I am bloody gutted.

Have you tried the 3DS, my brother has about a quarter of his vision in one eye and the 3d works for him. I do agree that an awful lot of the time it can be a fad

I played on one yesterday in PC World. It's pretty fucking impressive. Makes me want one big time.