Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: England Squad...

Default England Squad...

Cant see this anywhere else, so here it is

James (Portsmouth), Green (West Ham), Carson (West Brom); Brown (Manchester United), Johnson (Portsmouth), Terry (Chelsea), Ferdinand (Manchester United), Lescott (Everton), Upson (West Ham), A Cole (Chelsea), Bridge (Chelsea); Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Walcott (Arsenal), Barry (Aston Villa), Jenas (Tottenham), Lampard (Chelsea), Gerrard (Liverpool), Downing (Middlesbrough), Wright-Phillips (Manchester City); Heskey (Wigan), Crouch (Portsmouth), Rooney (Manchester United), Defoe (Portsmouth).

The 3 question's I have are why Downing keeps getting into the squad? Why not Ashley Young? Isnt he a better player?

Thoughts?

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: England Squad...

It's an absolute joke that Ashley Young can't get into the squad.

Rice 13

Downing seems to be to Capello what Heskey was to Sven unfortunately.

Still at least we will be able to see Gerrard and Lampard paired up in midfield again

Quote Originally Posted by adamthered
    The 3 question's I have are why Downing keeps getting into the squad?
    I have deleted your other two questions as this one covers them all.

WHY!? What has Stewart Downing ever done for England!? He's pap!

I think Young and Agbonlahor should be in there.

Downing is in there because he's more disciplined in that position than Young.

Young is definitely more talented but sometimes over elaborates and goes back to beat the man for the third or fourth time.

I feel a bit sorry for Owen, I'd certainly rather have his quality than Defoe in there. Other than that and the continuing ommission of Ian Breckin, I'm largely happy with that squad.

As I said to someone else, Young or Lennon > Downing.

And there's no need for 3 keepers and 5/6 centre backs. How the fuck does Bridge deserve to be in there as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy O'Tuttlafferty
    Downing is in there because he's more disciplined in that position than Young.

Young is definitely more talented but sometimes over elaborates and goes back to beat the man for the third or fourth time.
    He might 'over-elaborate' but he's terribly effective.

In the last Season and a bit he's got 20 assists and 10 goals.

Downing's got 6 assists and 9 goals.

We should still win both games easilly mind.

Downing will pop up with a goal or assist every now and then but he's an incredibly ineffective player and is too slow/scared to take a player on. I assume he's in the England squad because he can't take penalties.

Ashley Young is consistant, has pace, a great cross, a good shot and has the added bonus of being an excellent set piece taker as well. As far as wingers goes, he's pretty bloody good.

Downing wont start. Well I hope not anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by wesizleftpeg
    Downing will pop up with a goal or assist every now and then but he's an incredibly ineffective player and is too slow/scared to take a player on.* I assume he's in the England squad because he can't take penalties.

Ashley Young is consistant, has pace, a great cross, a good shot and has the added bonus of being an excellent set piece taker as well.* As far as wingers goes, he's pretty bloody good.
    My mate is a West Brom fan and he went to go and Watch Villa vs West Brom the other week and when he came back he commented on Ashley Young and just how surprised he was about his attitude. He said rather than beating the man and putting in a cross pass he seemed more interested in beating the man and geting the foul.

Still I would rather have Young than Downing in the squad.

But also haven't the Under 21's got a big game? And as this is only two easily beatable teams for England maybe Pearce has asked for him to be in the U21 squad especially with Walcott being with the seniors?

Resident foodie!

The team'll be like this, depending on fitness, obviously:

James
    Johnson Terry Ferdinand Cole
    Beckham/SWP Lampard Barry Walcott
    Rooney Heskey

Subs:
    Carson, Brown, Gerrard, Beckham/SWP, Defoe, Crouch, Downing

I don't think Capello will change the side too much from the one that played against Croatia. Obviously Joe Cole is injured, so Walcott will move to the left and Beckham or Wright-Phillips will step in on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    The team'll be like this, depending on fitness, obviously:

James
    Johnson Terry Ferdinand Cole
    Beckham/SWP Lampard Barry Walcott
    Rooney Heskey

Subs:
    Carson, Brown, Gerrard, Beckham/SWP, Defoe, Crouch, Downing

I don't think Capello will change the side too much from the one that played against Croatia. Obviously Joe Cole is injured, so Walcott will move to the left and Beckham or Wright-Phillips will step in on the right.
    Brown will play instead of Johnson.

I suspect Gerrard will be put on the right. Shame Joe Cole got injured. I quite fancied seeing the smug overated Liverpool git sat in a hump on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    Or Gerrard will go in on the left, like he was prior to his injury.

James

Brown - Rio - Terry - Cole

Lampard - Barry

Walcott - Rooney - Gerrard

Heskey

Ashley Young isn't making the squad at the request of Stuart Pearce, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie Ahernshaw
    Ashley Young isn't making the squad at the request of Stuart Pearce, apparently.
    I heard the same thing, apparently Pearce's family don't get on with Ashley Young

Another mystery is how JJ manages to keep being included. It's not as if he's setting the Prem alight with Tottering Flopspurs at the moment.

Owen's omission is mad.

Gerrard should start on the bench. He put club before country and we went and did well without him. There shouldn't be a quick route back.

As for having Beckham in there, don't get me started. Grrr!

Rice IV

Good choice on the striker front this time.

Talk to me, Goose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgford Boy
    Another mystery is how JJ manages to keep being included. It's not as if he's setting the Prem alight with Tottering Flopspurs at the moment.

Owen's omission is mad.

Gerrard should start on the bench. He put club before country and we went and did well without him. There shouldn't be a quick route back.

As for having Beckham in there, don't get me started. Grrr!
    Beckham has never been known to beat a player with pace/skill but simply for being able to put a ball onto any blade of grass asked to. He can still do this. Yes his stamina isnt what it once was, which is why we will see him coming off of the bench more and more rather than starting.

Beckham maybe shouldnt get into the squad over Young, but he is still good enough to play a part in the squad. Realistically it should be Downing who gets dropped for Young. But what do I know?

Downing is yet another England player getting vilified for no good reason (see Heskey & Hargreaves for previous examples).

Most people seem to point *(if they bother their arse pointing at all, once again I refer to the halfwits saying that Hargreaves & Heskey were crap) to his performance in the Andorra game.

He was played as a winger against a team who effectively tried to defend with all eleven players... not much width for a wide man then? *Add to that the fact that the starting forwards were Defoe & Rooney... not much height for a winger to aim for then?

At half time Downing was substituted for Joe Cole. *Joe Cole scored the two goals, perpetuating the myth that Downing must be crap... the fact that midget Defoe had also been brought off at the same time for the more physical Heskey didn't ring any bells for these football experts.

A winger needs someone to aim for, England didn't have anyone until their only traditional winger had been taken off & a strong, tall centre forward brought on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Man
    Downing is yet another England player getting vilified for no good reason (see Heskey & Hargreaves for previous examples).

Most people seem to point *(if they bother their arse pointing at all, once again I refer to the halfwits saying that Hargreaves & Heskey were crap) to his performance in the Andorra game.

He was played as a winger against a team who effectively tried to defend with all eleven players... not much width for a wide man then? *Add to that the fact that the starting forwards were Defoe & Rooney... not much height for a winger to aim for then?

At half time Downing was substituted for Joe Cole. *Joe Cole scored the two goals, perpetuating the myth that Downing must be crap... the fact that midget Defoe had also been brought off at the same time for the more physical Heskey didn't ring any bells for these football experts.

A winger needs someone to aim for, England didn't have anyone until their only traditional winger had been taken off & a strong, tall centre forward brought on.
    All fair points.

Downing still isn't good enough for England.

Miserable bastard

Capello can carry on picking Downing as far as I'm concerned, as long as we keep playing like we did against the Croats.

Joe Cole can go past players, Downing can't. So can Ashley Young, SWP, Agbonlahor, Lennon, Walcott. That is why he is not good enough to be in the England squad. Same goes for Bentley.

When you're playing a team that defend so deeply, that ability to get past a player with a burst of pace or skill is the key to unlocking them as much as a brilliant pass.

Quote Originally Posted by northernmonkey MBE
    All fair points.

Downing still isn't good enough for England.
    Exactly how I was going to reply!