Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Robertson

Default John Robertson

With Kris Commons set to move to Derby, I was thinking about other Reds players who have made the same move. Of course one is John Robertson. This was before my time, I was just wondering what the response was to his transfer? Admittedly he'd been extremely successful, but still, he left the club without Cloughie knowing, and to Derby of all teams! Did people call him Judas back then, want to break his legs and despise him as many seem to with Commons?

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: John Robertson

we had the best years out of Robbo before he left

winnits

As far as I'm aware Robbo never claimed to be a Forest fan.

Plus there was the added complication of his relationship with Taylor being a lure to the bad place.

Before my time too, so I've no idea how people reacted. He came back to Forest though, didn't he? So presumably it couldn't have been that bad.

AKA Randy Bumgardener

I think he could do a job for us (sorry, auto reply lol)

'The cross came in from Majewski, and Blackstock slid in, Gabriel Tamas attached to him in the manner in which a baby chimpanzee clings to its mother' Dexter Blackstock vs West Brom

It just seems to me that people never took to Commons and he's getting a little too much stick for this. One minute he was just fat, lazy and inconsistent, and suddenly people are angry and distressed that he's gone. People just seem to love to hate him.

The selective memory of some fans is always evident, people will remember when Commons has hit a shot from 30 yards miles wide and slate him for it, yet other players like Wes and Bennett will make a mistake at the back and people choose to forget it, simply because of their status among the fans (don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to knock Wes and Bennett). And again fans never mention Robertson's exit from Forest in 1983, it's as if it never happened, he's not remembered as a Judas who let Clough and the fans down. Yet Commons seems to have become the villain.

I'm extremely disappointed he's gone, but that's football. No one is bigger than the club, we'll move on.

Monk De Wally De Honk

Mentioning Robbo in the same thread as Commons is like starting a thread on the Beatles and ending up talking about Steps.

And i really should learn how to spell The Beatles

and commons would be the fat one from steps too

Quote Originally Posted by parisred
    Mentioning Robbo in the same thread as Commons is like starting a thread on the Beetles and ending up talking about Steps.
    [/quoteI know it's not what you meant but if you read this it implies Robbo is Steps and Commo is the beatles..

The hole crowed look fed the f**k up - Tyson 111.
    http://365microstoryproject.blogspot.com/

aka Famous

Mentioning Robbo in the same thread as Commons is like starting a thread on the Beetles and ending up talking about Steps.

oopsy daisy!

Mentioning Robbo in the same thread as Commons is like starting a thread on the Beatles and ending up talking about Steps.

For clarity.

To those of you who never saw John Roberstson 1st time round -

Kris Commons isn't even good enough to clean Robbo's boots.

oopsy daisy!

Quote Originally Posted by Annesley Red
    we had the best years out of Robbo before he left
    Yes, we had.

Of course, Robertson won Forest a League title, 2 European cups and two League cups.

Commons helped win us relegation to the third division followed by winning promotion from that division. Not quite the same is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik
    Yes, we had.

Of course, Robertson won Forest a League title, 2 European cups and two League cups.

Commons helped win us relegation to the third division followed by winning promotion from that division. Not quite the same is it?
    No, it isn't. So the move to Derby is justified if you've won trophies?

oopsy daisy!

Quote Originally Posted by matt1988
    No, it isn't. So the move to Derby is justified if you've won trophies?
    Robertson left to join Peter Taylor.

I think given the things they both did for the club it can be forgiven.

Clough, of course, never forgave Taylor until it was way to late. Which he regretted. It didn't stop him resigning Robbo though.

One did great things for Forest. the other is Kris Commons.

Besides. I don't recall me slagging off Commons for joining Derby. :P

I still hear stories about Robbo from my Dad. Obviously people lucky enough to see him work his magic, express the same views. So he guided to major success which Erik stated, he has made Forest a well known team.

I hold no bad judgements for that move, it was basically Peter Taylor, who influenced his move, I think....

yam

It was a surprise when Robbo left but he was past his best. For the life of me I can't remember his reception.

Shilts also ended up at Direby at some point, the one time I saw him play for the sheep against the reds at the CG he got stick from the trent end about his "Tina shagging in the car behind the race course" incident. Forest won that one 2-1 after being 1 goal down, might even have been the much talked about night that Psycho put "tinman" McMin in orbit.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito
    It was a surprise when Robbo left but he was past his best.* For the life of me I can't remember his reception.

Shilts also ended up at Direby at some point, the one time I saw him play for the sheep against the reds at the CG he got stick from the trent end about his "Tina shagging in the car behind the race course" incident.* Forest won that one 2-1 after being 1 goal down, might even have been the much talked about night that Psycho put "tinman" McMin in orbit.
    The very same night and it was the A Block who rattled Shilton, I had my season ticket up there then

yam

Well I had mine in the Trent End. We both must have done it, he was a high profile target. Shilts even gave a nice sarcastic little clap.

"Where's your Tina gone..."

#FindElaine

Quote Originally Posted by sedgred
    The very same night and it was the A Block who rattled Shilton, I had my season ticket up there then
    Come back Sedge - you know it makes sense lol

Please donate to my #MPCC14 JustGiving page @ Justgiving.com/FindElaine

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ubique
    Come back Sedge - you know it makes sense lol
    I sat there one afternoon, amongst the Forest fans who set up a continuios chant '' Paul Ince is a mardy tnuc '', the stunning thing being we were not even playing a side that Ince ( Who is black if you had failed to notice ) played for.

At that point I started to think about where I was sat to watch my football, shame loved the atmosphere, but hated the mindless behaviour of some.

Quote Originally Posted by sedgred
    I sat there one afternoon, amongst the Forest fans who set up a continuios chant* '' Paul Ince is a mardy tnuc '', the stunning thing being we were not even playing a side that Ince ( Who is black if you had failed to notice ) played for.

At that point I started to think about where I was sat to watch my football, shame loved the atmosphere, but hated the mindless behaviour of some.
    Lies.

#FindElaine

The knob heads have gone, at some points this season it felt like me and my mates were there on our own lol

And if the eeegits return now we're 'good again' then they'll have us to deal with lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ubique
    The knob heads have gone, at some points this season it felt like me and my mates were there on our own lol

And if the eeegits return now we're 'good again' then they'll have us to deal with lol
    lol

1. depends who you class as nobheads.... I'd say the mardy old wankers who stay sat down all game and don't sing are the nobheads. Of course i don't like the kids for a quid crowd but given the choice between idiots with passion and you and your sensible mates I know who i would choose.

2.lol at dealing with them.

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

Quote Originally Posted by Erik

For clarity.

To those of you who never saw John Roberstson 1st time round -

Kris Commons isn't even good enough to clean Robbo's boots.

Aaah!! Robbo!
    Bacon fat on the blue suede shoes that the dustmen refused to take away......

He was at Wembley the day we played Oldham (1990 ish, I can't remember precisely), in what I assume from the memories was a game of "hot young celebs" versus "fat old lardy-arsed has-beens..."

He was passed the ball, sidestepped, turned, stepped away and left the young chap looking stupid trying to tackle a ball that Robbo had already delivered 20 yards to a team-mate. Quality!

When you're good...you're good. And Robbo was VERY good.

"This statement is false."

Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

Victor Meldrew

Now this is a subject I am qualified to talk about. Robbo was a regular visitor to my house when I was a kid. (Anatoli bores the forum yet again, with stories about having Forest apprentices living with him as a child)

My memory is that Taylor went to Derby first and he was the Judas at the time, but as Cloughie and he came from thre, it did not feel like that at all. We also had McGovern and O Hare from them so it was quite fluid at that time between the two teams. Robbo was only with them for a few months and then came back. By then, however, his boozing and smoking had made him into a fat little left winger who lacked pace.

He was still a far better player than Chicken and Mushrooom Commons. Even after he died.

I became a Forest fan in 76 after watching the Great(yes, this should always precede his name) John Robertson. Different time, different circumstances and Robbo was pure magic.

yam

Quote Originally Posted by Anatoli
    Now this is a subject I am qualified to talk about.* Robbo was a regular visitor to my house when I was a kid.* (Anatoli bores the forum yet again, with stories about having Forest apprentices living with him as a child)

My memory is that Taylor went to Derby first and he was the Judas at the time, but as Cloughie and he came from thre, it did not feel like that at all.* We also had McGovern and O Hare from them so it was quite fluid at that time between the two teams.* Robbo was only with them for a few months and then came back.* By then, however, his boozing and smoking had made him into a fat little left winger who lacked pace.

He was still a far better player than Chicken and Mushrooom Commons.* Even after he died.
    Didn't Taylor retire first and then come out of retirement for Direby.

We also nicked Archie "goal of the season" Gemmill from them. The sheep often think we only won the league and euro cups because of "their" players (so no input from Robbo, Shilts, Lloyd, Burns, Woodcock, O'Neill etc etc). Bloody sheep. True we wouldn't have won the first league cup if John "go slow" O'Hare didn't know how to take 3 yards to fall over.