Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Safe Standing Bill

Default Re: Safe Standing Bill

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...830874,00.html

Premier League officials have vowed to resist calls for the reintroduction of standing areas at top-flight matches.
    The Football Supporters' Federation (FSF) is to launch an online petition asking for the return of standing areas in the top two divisions of English football.
    Terraces were banned following the Hillsborough disaster in 1989 but the Premier League insists that all-seater stadia are safe and better for fans.
    Premier League chief spokesman Dan Johnson said: "Our view is that the benefits of all-seater stadia far outweigh the return of standing areas.
    "They have led to more women and more children attending the games and no matter how safe standing can be made, seating is always safer.
    "We will not be encouraging the Government to change the law."
    The issue of allowing some standing areas has been revisited a number of times since all-seater stadiums became compulsory in 1994.
    FSF argument

Kate Hoey tried to back a scheme when she was sports minister in 2001 but the-then Government blocked it.
    The FSF held a meeting on Monday with representatives from the police, Government and football authorities.
    FSF chairman Malcolm Clarke argues that many fans already stand all match despite having seats which is viewed as a safety risk.
    Clarke told The Guardian: "Fans do believe they have lost something in the move to all-seating. We will be doing further research to respond to the concerns of those who are not yet convinced."
    Sports minister Hugh Robertson plans to examine the evidence for safe standing but has played down any likelihood of a change to the law.
    Robertson told the meeting the first time that a significant accident or crowd trouble took place on a terrace there would be major repercussions.
    He said: "The minister's head would be on a spike on Tower Bridge before he could draft a resignation letter."
    Boooooo.

Oh, and sign the petition.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/petitions/safe...?id=&page=sign

Last edited by earthworm; 23-03-11 at 13:51.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Here, there & anywhere that will have me..

Surely it would be quite easy for fans to show there support for this idea. Why don't the FSF do a "Stand Up For Terraces" campaign? Getting supporters at all clubs to sing this at every game for a period of time would highlight the desire - especially on the televised games.

The beast is stirring yet again!! :devil:

it has nothing to do with football or NFFC

Who will BooBaby boo?
    I'm up on the eleventh floor and I'm watching the Harleys below.

signed

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Signed

Sealed, delivered, i'm yours!

"Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Davie View Post
    signed.

you could get 50 million signatures.... top flight football will be all seated from here to eternity.

i can't sit down to watch football,end of. Thank you Primitive Liverpool fans for ruining football. you'll always be scum in my book.

Never say never, its proven to work in Germany.

Hardly any Forest fans have signed it, seen more County, fester and Dierby fans than us.

TheDude

Ah the terraces, where men in flat caps urinated on other men in flat caps. Yes, let's bring that back

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Ah the terraces, where men in flat caps urinated on other men in flat caps. Yes, let's bring that back
    yes,but you never froze to death !

winnits

Quote Originally Posted by GWM
    Never say never, its proven to work in Germany.
    Our grounds have all been rebuilt to be all-seater, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnits View Post
    Our grounds have all been rebuilt to be all-seater, though.
    Yes, but then when a club is going to redevelop part/all of their ground, they have the option. That's all its about, giving the choice, nobody is forcing anything on anyone. They can leave it seated if they want.

For example then, when Forest get round to redeveloping the Main Stand, the new A Block can be all standing, and everyone there would probably love it.

TheDude

Be very surprised if they bring it back.

They should invite some German stewards and fans over to talk to the FA about it.

TheDude

Ebby hates standing up at games

winnits

Safe standing probably involves a terrace using the same space per spectator as seating, but you can charge more for seats. It just won't happen. It's a waste of energy.

Rice # 42

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    I never had a flat cap

Safe standing probably involves a terrace using the same space per spectator as seating, but you can charge more for seats. It just won't happen. It's a waste of energy.
    It would do now as the authorities deem that you have to have 1 sq.m. of space per person but when the Trent End was full of standing fans no-one had that amount of space. Young children were often swept off their feet and it wasn't uncommon for people to faint and have to be passed to the front over the heads of those in front. Terraces are infinitely more difficult to police as thay limit access to trouble spots. Most standing areas on the continent have fences in front of them so that the fans are effectively caged and this is what caused the problems - evacuation of a caged area is difficult to do effectively and speedily.

Don't get me wrong I am all in favour of standing areas because at least that way I won't be compelled to stand up for a full 90 minutes because some moron in front of me finds it necessary to stand up to make a noise!

Can isn't the same as have to. They could have one block of standing, at the same prices, and I'd bet there'd still be enough people to fill that area.

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

If this ever does go through, which i doubt. I can imagine the novelty will wear off especially when it takes 20 minutes just to get downstairs to the grub, beer n bogs. I signed the petition because if you want to stand you should be able to, as long as it's safe to do so and if i want to i can sit.

The unfortunate part this is that IF clubs have standing areas you can bet your sweet life that they will be for home fans only, which means that those of us that go to away matches will still have no choice but to stand if we wish to see the game

Daniel

All seater stadiums were brought in for a reason. It is an insult to the families of the victims of Hillsborough and similar disasters that this subject is persistantly brought up. I am not in support of standing for such reasons..

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    All seater stadiums were brought in for a reason. It is an insult to the families of the victims of Hillsborough and similar disasters that this subject is persistantly brought up. I am not in support of standing for such reasons..
    And this is why it will never happen.... People spouting bollocks lines like this.

The Safe Standing Bill is not to return the 'dark old days' - it is to bring in Standing Sections, like the German model, whereby people who wish to stand, can stand.

Hillsbrough wasn't caused because of the terraces, it was caused because too many people forced their way into the terraces (I'm not going to go into the whole debate about whether this was the Liverpools fans' fault or Police's fault) and because of the barriers at the front of the stand - if there'd been no fences, the 'crush' would've just spilled out onto the pitch rather than lives being lost.

If lessons have been learned from old terraces i.e. not overcrowding, sufficient safety concourses and barriers are in place, then I can not see what the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by Square Peg View Post
    And this is why it will never happen.... People spouting bollocks lines like this.

The Safe Standing Bill is not to return the 'dark old days' - it is to bring in Standing Sections, like the German model, whereby people who wish to stand, can stand.

Hillsbrough wasn't caused because of the terraces, it was caused because too many people forced their way into the terraces (I'm not going to go into the whole debate about whether this was the Liverpools fans' fault or Police's fault) and because of the barriers at the front of the stand - if there'd been no fences, the 'crush' would've just spilled out onto the pitch rather than lives being lost.

If lessons have been learned from old terraces i.e. not overcrowding, sufficient safety concourses and barriers are in place, then I can not see what the problem is.
    Spot on. Thank you for saving me a lot of typing.