Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: Should We Be Worried?

Default Should We Be Worried?

LTLF has a new writer, and his first piece, our latest signing discusses whether we should be worried about the disappointing start to the season.

http://www.ltlf.co.uk/forest/2008/09...we-be-worried/

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Should We Be Worried?

Quote Originally Posted by Piotr
    LTLF has a new writer, and his first piece, our latest signing discusses whether we should be worried about the disappointing start to the season.

http://www.ltlf.co.uk/forest/2008/09...we-be-worried/

yes we should.

Do you think? I'm not too worried personally, and I'm not sure that I should be. I'm disappointed, and a little frustrated, but I've seen enough in good football to be positive. We've been unlucky with both results and injuries, and I think there is still quite alot to be positive.

yeh you can look at it that way, it's not all bad but we should have more points from the games we played.

Defence is the main worry - hopefully this lynch will actually be good enough to start.

otherwise we may stay where we are for a while.

What happened This Charming Man?

Worried? No.
    Concerned? Maybe.
    Frustrated? Certainly.

I think that Peter Rogers sums it all up perfectly for me. Over the past four seasons or so we have had nothing other than promotion as our only objective and this is the first season where consolidation is the key.

As supporters we have forgotten what it's like to sit back and watch a decent game of football in the understanding that every game is not a must-win but a learning curve from which we take as much as we give.

I would love us to do well yet I am resigned to the fact that a credible finish to this season is anything other than the bottom six places.

Next year, however, it's 'Game On'!*

'Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings' - Salvador Dali 1904-1989

I think 'odd' is a good thing. Oddness shows originality, uniqueness and a desire to be different from the masses. Oddness is, maybe, only deemed 'odd' by the majority who are considered less odd but only by their own blinkered observations and understanding. Oddness should never be criticised but be encouraged to nurture, develop individualism and to explore the mind rather than conform to expectation and 'normality'. Many of the world's greatest works of art and prose were born from those minds many considered to be 'odd'.
    [/url]

Quote Originally Posted by T.B.T.
    What happened the The Charming Man?

Worried? No.
    Concerned? Maybe.
    Frustrated? Certainly.

I think that Peter Rogers sums it all up perfectly for me. Over the past four seasons or so we have had nothing other than promotion as our only objective and this is the first season where consolidation is the key.

As supporters we have forgotten what it's like to sit back and watch a decent game of football in the understanding that every game is not a must-win but a learning curve from which we take as much as we give.

I would love us to do well yet I am resigned to the fact that a credible finish to this season is anything other than the bottom six places.

Next year, however, it's 'Game On'!

all I'm saying is blind optimism won't keep us up.

Suppose how you define a decent game of football.

Yeah, I'm definately hoping that he can add something! On the plus side, Chambers looked stronger this weekend, but I still think the formation is largely to blame for leaving the defence exposed. Not that they arent making mistakes of course.

I'm afraid the Charm has gone. Only misplaced hopefully.

Excellently summed up once again Miss TBT, when are you going to write me an article!?

JR - I dont think it's blind optimism. More just an attempt to be rational.

Quote Originally Posted by Piotr

Excellently summed up once again Miss TBT, when are you going to write me an article!?

I could well write you an interesting 'article' but I doubt it'd be something you'd wish to publish......not here anyway!

Different people choose to see the same things in different ways. I choose to view my life through optimistic eyes with a hint of realism and that's my personal choice. I accept that others may well see things differently yet I prefer to smile and see the good in everything. It's who I am.

Optimism alone will not 'keep us up' but combine it with the belief that we can achieve the very best we can with the tools we have and it might just be enough.

As for 'decent football', I think we have seen some good, entertaining football so far this season. The results admittedly haven't always reflected it but we have already shown improvement in some areas and have identified others where more work is needed.

I completely agree with you TBT. But then, I share your optimistic view.

Give me whatever you've got. I'll be the judge from then!

The only thing that worries me.....is Colin Calderwood the man to take us forward?

From an outsiders viewpoint he still seems to show an annoying reluctance to address problems that many people witness week in and week out. Although his square peg round hole philosophy is thankfully starting to wane I still think there are too many positions on the pitch where he is not getting the best out of the players at his disposal. Keep it simple....play your best players in there best possition if you want to maximise there potential.

I think he is a far better manager than he was when he joined us, the trouble is, if we are going to get dragged into a situation where relegation is a possibility, I very much doubt he will be given the chance to reverse that situation.

I think alot of people will agree with you, but I've actually got a decent amount offaith in Colin. I dont think hes perfect, but I think he learns from his mistakes alot. Even if sometimes slowly.

My opinion is essentially that we would be moaning about the same things, team selection etc, with most managers, and we have done in the past. Colin is trying to create something here, and he's done well in lots of areas, player recruitment, now style of football, promotion. Lets give him some time.

No need to worry 7 games in.

I completely agree.

I think we're all frustrated Forest managers and it's too easy to spot the mangerial errors made after the event.

What I admire in Colin, is that he doesn't always make obvious, typical and conventional decisions. It doesn't always work in his / our favour but he takes the risk independently of what is expected. I'm sure to confuse the hell out of our opposition must be a tactical move.

I do think he's learnt much since May 2006 and he still has plenty more to go yet I'm happy in the knowledge that he's the right man for the job for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by T.B.T.
    I think we're all frustrated Forest managers and it's too easy to spot the mangerial errors made after the event.

What I admire in Colin, is that he doesn't always make obvious, typical and conventional decisions. It doesn't always work in his / our favour but he takes the risk independently of what is expected. I'm sure to confuse the hell out of our opposition must be a tactical move.

I do think he's learnt much since May 2006 and he still has plenty more to go yet I'm happy in the knowledge that he's the right man for the job for the moment.
    Definately, Couldn't agree more with the sentiments of your last sentence.

2nd from bottom after 7 games is no problem. Thing is, if we remain 2nd bottom, how many games in does it need before the board preses the panic button? And I honestly believe they will press it....Division Three is not an option they will tolerate.

I just think that we could do with climbing a few places pretty soon to take some of the pressure off CC's shoulders and give him the breathing space he needs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost of Ruskington Red
    2nd from bottom after 7 games is no problem. Thing is, if we remain 2nd bottom, how many games in does it need before the board preses the panic button? And I honestly believe they will press it....Division Three is not an option they will tolerate.

I just think that we could do with climbing a few places pretty soon to take some of the pressure off CC's shoulders and give him the breathing space he needs.
    Worried? No. Theres another possible 117 points out there. Not that we'll get them all.. We can dream right?

Quote Originally Posted by t0mm
    Worried? No. Theres another possible 117 points out there. Not that we'll get them all.. We can dream right?
    I'd be content with 115. Otherwise CC out!

My password for the blog site doesn't work...

"No need to worry 7 games in"

This seems to be the general denial line, it doesn't matter that other than the Watford game we have been poor then offering nothing going forward and having the worst defence in the league?

I don't think that's true at all. Sounds like unnecessary negativity. I think we have offered something going forward. Our finishing has been poor, but last weekend we could heasily have had 5 goals. So, it seems to me that we must have offered something going forward. The doom mongering is always going to take place unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by garibaldi
    "No need to worry 7 games in"

This seems to be the general denial line, it doesn't matter that other than the Watford game we have been poor then offering nothing going forward and having the worst defence in the league?
    Yeah I'd worry about that were it's true, but seeing as we've been fairly good going forwards in most games... Scoring a goal a game's a good record, it's the defence that's letting us down.

I think T.B.T hit the nail on the head - this season is the first in a long time where we haven't needed to win every game to achieve our objective. Promotion / play-offs would be a great situation to find ourselves in but I believe most of us would be satisfied with a creditable position come early May and a chance to build upon the experiences of this season.

The step up has been shown to be bigger than some thought but is certainly preferable to trips to Stockport or Leicester * or involvement in the JPT . I for one would rather watch us get a draw against Charlton than scrape 3 points against Tranmere

I am not massively worried about our current position. As has been repeatedly stated we are only in the opening salvos of the season, there is an awfully long way to go. We have played arguably the strongest side in the league and got battered but also held our own against two of the supposedly stronger teams. We have played some good, bad and indifferent football, hopefully this will stabilise into consistently good performances as players get used to each other and the new situation

Essentially it's been a crap start but shows promising signs for the future

Ask me how I feel in late April and I'll be able to give you a more definitive answer

Of course we should be worried, we're second bottom of the table after 7 games.

That said, all this doom, despair and despondency is more than a little premature. If we're still bottom 3 by Christmas then the management and board will be judged on our performance in the transfer window and subsequent results.

We must avoid relegation at all costs and whilst I think we have a long season ahead of us, there's no need to sign up to the Kilburn Klux Klan just yet.