Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Why has our mentality changed?

      
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Back in Nottingham
    Posts
    874

    Default Why has our mentality changed?

    We seem a lot more negative this season, and I can't understand why.

    Based on the last few games, less wide too, and definitely on last nights performance, there's a lack of urgency around the side?

    Where has last years team disappeared too, and why has our mentality changed?

    /discuss.

    Similar Threads:

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #2
    winnits
    Guest

    Default Re: Why has our mentality changed?

    Last season we expected mid-table and got something more, this season many expected a build on last season which looks to be a stretch with current personnel.

    Basic psychology really - when your expectations are exceeded (in a positive way) you are happy, when your expectations are not met, you are less so.

    Basically, people need to have more realistic expectations.


  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Back in Nottingham
    Posts
    874

    Default Re: Why has our mentality changed?

    Nooo, what I mean is our play full stop, I've personally already written off this season last month lol . In fact, at the start of August I said without signings we'll finish below 7th.

    We'll do that anyway, but the way we play football has completely changed. We're not as direct as we were, and I was just wondering peoples opinions on this...


  5. #4
    winnits
    Guest

    Default Re: Why has our mentality changed?

    I don't think we do seem much more negative than this stage last season..


  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Back in Nottingham
    Posts
    874

    Default Re: Why has our mentality changed?

    But there is deffo a difference in the way we play. Urgency seems to have gone out the window on last nights performance alone.


  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    13,464

    Default

    I thought last night had the look of a pre-season friendly.


  8. #7
    winnits
    Guest

    Default Re: Why has our mentality changed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lew. View Post
    But there is deffo a difference in the way we play. Urgency seems to have gone out the window on last nights performance alone.
    We took a while to get going last season too... the 'breathtaking football' games were actually quite few and far between - and aside from the odd gem like West Brom away we rarely maintained a positive performance for 90 minutes.


  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Back in Nottingham
    Posts
    874

    Default Re: Why has our mentality changed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winnits View Post
    We took a while to get going last season too... the 'breathtaking football' games were actually quite few and far between - and aside from the odd gem like West Brom away we rarely maintained a positive performance for 90 minutes.
    Yes I know, but we did also have a few good games before we went on the run.

    Last season we had the excuse that the players had to gel, this?

    No natural wingers @ Barnsley? What the fuck is that all about?


  10. #9

    Default Re: Why has our mentality changed?

    We got in the play-offs last time out. If we finish this season without Joe Kinnear in charge, I'll be happy.


  11. #10
    Living the dream
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Fantasy Island
    Posts
    5,355

    Default Re: Why has our mentality changed?

    We attacked too much last year, there is no attack left. We must stop attacking.


  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    11,068

    Default Re: Why has our mentality changed?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageMutantNinjaBirtles View Post
    We got in the play-offs last time out. If we finish this season without Joe Kinnear in charge, I'll be happy.
    Megson was in the Sky Sports studio last night, I'm sure he could be persuaded to make a return to one of his former clubs should we fall on hard times.


  13. #12

    Default Re: Why has our mentality changed?

    Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    Megson was in the Sky Sports studio last night, I'm sure he could be persuaded to make a return to one of his former clubs should we fall on hard times.
    Leicester...?


  14. #13
    TheDude
    Guest

    Default Re: Why has our mentality changed?

    There was that feeling last season at home that no matter who we played and even if there was a minute of added on time left we would get the win. Last night it felt like we was hanging on for dear life at the end. The first thing i said after the final whistle was " that was bloody hard work ".


  15. #14
    winnits
    Guest

    Default Re: Why has our mentality changed?

    I can remember plenty of games like that last season - fearing conceding late on...

    The pic in your sig is awesome


  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Back in Nottingham
    Posts
    874

    Default Re: Why has our mentality changed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dadford View Post
    We attacked too much last year, there is no attack left. We must stop attacking.
    "Due to the previous government..." David Cameron's answer to everything.


  17. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,674

    Default Re: Why has our mentality changed?

    We were a well-oiled machine last season. I didn't feel we would concede even when we were only 1-0 up.
    We had a game plan
    We had urgency
    We had the guts to play a tight passing game

    Saying that our opponents have sussed us out is rubbish. It's all down to us and our mentality. This side is better than what we're seeing at the moment. I feel cheated. I'm not saying we'll achieve what we did last season, but we SHOULD be playing better and we SHOULD be able to defend better. Do we need a striker though?


  18. #17
    winnits
    Guest

    Default Re: Why has our mentality changed?

    I think there's a lot of rose-tintery when looking back at last season going on here.... we weren't that good most of the time.


  19. #18
    Daniel
    Guest

    Default Re: Why has our mentality changed?

    We are only 12 games into the season and just finding our form. Now is the time to take results seriously rather than the first 10/11 games where it's all about settling down after pre-season...


  20. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    363

    Default Re: Why has our mentality changed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winnits View Post
    I think there's a lot of rose-tintery when looking back at last season going on here.... we weren't that good most of the time.
    I completely agree Winnits. We got a lot of wins last season that could have as easily been draws or losses had luck not gone our way.

    Equally I will admit I am concerned about our mentality this season. However when you have a striker in Blackstock who plays every game and doesn't seem to understand the concept of working hard or retaining possession, it makes the job so much harder for everyone else who have to work even harder again to win possession back when inevitably the ball is going to come straight back as soon as an attack is mounted..


  21. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Stoke/Mansfield/Nottingham
    Posts
    750

    Default Re: Why has our mentality changed?

    I would say we've definitely been figured out at home to a certain extent. A lot of teams sit quite deep now or flood the midfield. One thing I can't explain is why we go so narrow and why it is left for Wes and Chambo to try and pick out a creative pass to start moves off now. A factor in this is that teams are sitting very deep and defensively.


  22. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    24,498

    Default Re: Why has our mentality changed?

    I think we looked devoid of ideas more than being negative. Too many players are all in the same area of the pitch and there's no width meaning there's less room in the middle for the likes of Raddy and McGugan.


  23. #22
    Living the dream
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Fantasy Island
    Posts
    5,355

    Default Re: Why has our mentality changed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    We are only 12 games into the season and just finding our form. Now is the time to take results seriously rather than the first 10/11 games where it's all about settling down after pre-season...
    I too noticed how QPR have been just messing around.


  24. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,673

    Default Re: Why has our mentality changed?

    Quote Originally Posted by soulmonkeylove View Post
    I completely agree Winnits. We got a lot of wins last season that could have as easily been draws or losses had luck not gone our way.

    Equally I will admit I am concerned about our mentality this season. However when you have a striker in Blackstock who plays every game and doesn't seem to understand the concept of working hard or retaining possession, it makes the job so much harder for everyone else who have to work even harder again to win possession back when inevitably the ball is going to come straight back as soon as an attack is mounted..
    That is very unfair - Dex works very hard imo and is also good at holding the ball up and retaining possession. Remember he is playing up front largely on his own at the moment as well


  25. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    363

    Default Re: Why has our mentality changed?

    Quote Originally Posted by matt1982 View Post
    That is very unfair - Dex works very hard imo and is also good at holding the ball up and retaining possession. Remember he is playing up front largely on his own at the moment as well
    If that is true then why hasn't he been working hard, holding the ball up and retaining possession?


  26. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Twitter: @Mark_Searby
    Posts
    13,124

    Default Re: Why has our mentality changed?

    It seems like some of the players are over thinking their plays. They need to revert back to them just concentrating on the free following football that comes with knowing where your team mates are.

    We have seen this in parts so far this season, but not to the extent of last season. However I do remember it took us a while last season to hit our stride


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •