Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tevez, West Ham, Sheff United & the FA

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

Default Tevez, West Ham, Sheff United & the FA

So! After 18 months, the FA has finally told us what we all knew in 2006, namely that Tevez (& Mascherano for what it's worth) was signed and registered despite being the subject of joint ownership - a condition which is specifically prohibited under FA rules.

Here's a recent link for info.

To refresh your memories, Tevez - an incorrectly registered player - was instrumental in West Ham's survival in the Premier League, scoring the winning goal on the last day that kept them up - and relegated Sheffield United.

Sheff Utd appealed at the time, and, separately, an arbitration panel fined the Hammers £5.5m for breaching regulations.

Sheff Utd are now claiming 30-odd million compensation, and naturally West Ham are appealing.

In my humble opinion, West Ham were guilty of playing an unlawfully-registered player.
    The standard penalties for this offence are: Expulsion from competition (witness Bury in the FA Cup last season), or the overturning of results, which would result in West Ham's relegation...

Rumours that the FA procrastinated to ensure that the season has started so that no such action can be taken, and rumours that it has ANYTHING to do with Former West Ham Darling Lord Trevor Brooking running the FA lead to me being called a cynic...

Similar Threads:
    By "relegation battle", do you mean 7th, 12th or 14th?

Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Tevez, West Ham, Sheff United & the FA

It's too late to sort this out other than with compensation.

I thought, at the time, West Ham should have been deducted points and relegated. Tevez made an incredible difference to them, kept them up single handedly really!

This decision has shown the FA to be the bunch of incompetent, London-biased tossers we all thought they were.

If I were West Ham, and ordered to pay compensation, I'd be asking the FA to pay some of it, or to revoke the original punishment. It's odd that the FA only fined West Ham £5.5 million, money which remained within the FA, while the clubs that suffered (specifically Sheff Utd) received no compensation.

But then I'm sure it's just my cynical mind that thinks the FA wanted the money to put towards its White Elephant Wembley Stadium.

I hope West Ham win the appeal on the winning of the appeal. It's going to turn in to a long appeal battle.

Oh well, some money for us. Doesn't make up for the fact that Tevez helped them stay up a lot and he shouldn't have been playing for them. But there again, we could have easily stayed up with a win on the last day anyway which we didn't get.

The money will come in useful I'm sure. Better than nothing but I'll be glad when it's all over.

winnits

More importantly, is there any way of extending some punishment to where the two players in question are now plying their trade?

That would make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnits
    More importantly, is there any way of extending some punishment to where the two players in question are now plying their trade?

That would make me happy.
    Haha! Doubt it.

Well...Tevez & Mascherano were bought by their respective new clubs while they were still incorrectly registered with Wet Sham, so they cannot have been bought correctly...and so...

...except their new clubs are ManUre and Scouse, and we can't go punishing them now can we...

The FA have dug themselves a dirty little hole here, and they're going to have to worm and squirm their way out of it, and we'll all end up shaking our heads at the shame-facedness of it all.

West Ham should of had deducted points, then end of the drama I guess.
    This case can go on for ages..and never be a solution.

Is it the FA or the Premier League that made this decision? If its the PL then its nowt to do with Trevor Brooking. Shocking decision not to dock them points and therefore relegate them. If West Ham had gone down they would have done a Leeds as they had some big wages to pay.

Fezler69

Man Utd should sue West Ham for Tevez scoring against them - if they'd won that they would probably have got more money for something or other.

Everybody sue everybody

Nick Doyle you're being sued

Quote Originally Posted by Peter File
    Nick Doyle you're being sued
    lol okay then

Quote Originally Posted by 'Sir' Flagman
    Well...Tevez & Mascherano were bought by their respective new clubs while they were still incorrectly registered with Wet Sham, so they cannot have been bought correctly...and so...

...except their new clubs are ManUre and Scouse, and we can't go punishing them now can we...

The FA have dug themselves a dirty little hole here, and they're going to have to worm and squirm their way out of it, and we'll all end up shaking our heads at the shame-facedness of it all.
    Aren't Tevez and the other dude both on loan at the respective clubs from the MSI to ensure that scousepool and Manure don't get into trouble...Man U were looking at finalizing the tevez deal at Christmas i think..

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.
    Aren't Tevez and the other dude both on loan at the respective clubs from the MSI to ensure that scousepool and Manure don't get into trouble...Man U were looking at finalizing the tevez deal at Christmas i think..
    I think so...I seem to remember that Liverpool were allowed to bend the rules to sign Mascherano when they did too as.

From Wikipedia:

On 16 January 2007, Liverpool requested clearance from FIFA to take Mascherano on loan from West Ham. FIFA's rules state that no player can play for more than two different clubs between 1 July and 30 June the following year, but Mascherano had already played for both Corinthians and West Ham during this time.

FIFA approved the deal on 31 January 2007
    Fulham faced a similar obstacle when they tried to sign Daniel Cousin from Rangers but unfortunately for them they weren't Liverpool so FIFA didn't give them the same privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by roco
    Is it the FA or the Premier League that made this decision? If its the PL then its nowt to do with Trevor Brooking.
    They all piss in the same pot....

A good day despite the 6-0 defeat to Arsenal.

oopsy daisy!

I heard Neil Warnock on the radio this afternoon - I don't normally have much time for what he says but this time he really spoke some sense. He stopped just short of saying it was a fixed first hearing - but only just. I think it's safe to say (Peter?) Scudamore is not on his Christmas card list! He made the very valid observation that the lost season and relegation can't be taken back no matter what compensation is given.

Banned

Pleased to hear of some sanity in the situation at long last. Compensation of that amount should allow the Blades to build for another try at the Top.

Pity it is without Warnock though, he loved being the Premiership bad boy, earned his shot and to be cheated in this manner still rankles with him. Listened to an interview he gave on Five Live today. Always has something to say.

Like him or loathe him, you cannot ignore him.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik
    I heard Neil Warnock on the radio this afternoon - I don't normally have much time for what he says but this time he really spoke some sense. He stopped just short of saying it was a fixed first hearing - but only just. I think it's safe to say (Peter?) Scudamore is not on his Christmas card list! He made the very valid observation that the lost season and relegation can't be taken back no matter what compensation is given.
    Yep..a good interview from him..better than the ones he did when he was our manager!

Quote Originally Posted by sedgred
    Pleased to hear of some sanity in the situation at long last. Compensation of that amount should allow the Blades to build for another try at the Top.

Pity it is without Warnock though, he loved being the Premiership bad boy, earned his shot and to be cheated in this manner still rankles with him. Listened to an interview he gave on Five Live today. Always has something to say.

Like him or loathe him, you cannot ignore him.
    Depends what we waste/spend the money on but it all helps.

Resident foodie!

Isn't Tevez still 'on loan' at United?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan

winnits

I'm not that arsed about United; let's punish Liverpoo!!

Rice IV

The problem with this is that the money not only impacts Sheff Utd, but the rest of the teams going for promotion from this league.

Talk to me, Goose.