Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: He does know what he's doing

deleted

Default He does know what he's doing

Calderwood has the last laugh

A banner which hung from the empty Trent End when celebrating fans had departed the City Ground following Forest's promotion back to the Championship had a simple message.

"He does know what he's doing," was perhaps a tacit admission by the writer of the banner, or perhaps a statement to some of the manager's more vocal critics, that they had been too hasty in condemning Colin Calderwood as a failure.

as Calderwood leads them back into the second tier after three years in the League One wilderness, how many Forest fans will now, perhaps begrudgingly, admit that the writer of the banner was spot on in his assessment?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: He does know what he's doing

Quote Originally Posted by Antonios Gubba
    Calderwood has the last laugh

A banner which hung from the empty Trent End when celebrating fans had departed the City Ground following Forest's promotion back to the Championship had a simple message.

"He does know what he's doing," was perhaps a tacit admission by the writer of the banner, or perhaps a statement to some of the manager's more vocal critics, that they had been too hasty in condemning Colin Calderwood as a failure.

as Calderwood leads them back into the second tier after three years in the League One wilderness, how many Forest fans will now, perhaps begrudgingly, admit that the writer of the banner was spot on in his assessment?
    Certainly not me!

What about a u turn if hes sacked by Christmas?

Clownderwood should have been sacked after our Yeovil play-off defeat. I am yet to see anything to convince me otherwise. Promotion was expected and Clownderwood has achieved it. He has not gone above and beyond; we did not win the league, we did not have much success in the cups. He has done the minimum expected of him and it took him two-seasons to get that right.

I wish these blind, smug people would give it a rest now. Yes we have FINALLY gone up, and it is a fantastic experience....but it doesn't PROVE Colin is a good manager at all. *He had incredible talent in the squad for a league 1 outfit and in all honesty we should have walked the league title in 2006/7. *We certainly should have strolled in in 2007/8.....yet we fluked automatic promotion.

All credit to the players (who, for the most part, had little clue what their role actually was - or which random area of the pitch they would be sent to play in next)

I don't doubt he will sign good players, we are still a BIG CLUB! But CC seriously needs to learn how to utilise such players to get the best out of them...prime examples of such bosses are Gary Johnson, Roberto Martinez and *Sean O'Driscoll. Calderwood is NOT in that sort of class I'm afraid.

All that said I will give him a chance to show he has learned from his mistakes, but what worries me is that his mistakes were some of the most blatantly obvious balls-ups I have ever seen! But I will not moan or whinge after this little rant....let's all try and do our bit to bring back the good times, it's always possible!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smith
    Clownderwood should have been sacked after our Yeovil play-off defeat. I am yet to see anything to convince me otherwise. Promotion was expected and Clownderwood has achieved it. He has not gone above and beyond; we did not win the league, we did not have much success in the cups. He has done the minimum expected of him and it took him two-seasons to get that right.
    We're not going to be winning cups, we were still a league 1 side. Maybe this year we can look forward and progess further in competitions. Luckily we will automatically get to the third round.

oopsy daisy!

Maybe he does know what he's doing.

I don't know what he's doing.

At various times last season very few of us knew what he was doing.

Even the players had a lost look at times suggesting that they didn't know either.

But we got promotion, which is all that really matters and we can build on this for the future. Colin Calderwood is the man that is going to lead us into that future.

I have no doubt come August it will all start again when he puts out a baffling team selection in baffling positions and formation. For now though, lets enjoy the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik
    Maybe he does know what he's doing.

I don't know what he's doing.

At various times last season very few of us knew what he was doing.

Even the players had a lost look at times suggesting that they didn't know either.

But we got promotion, which is all that really matters and we can build on this for the future. Colin Calderwood is the man that is going to lead us into that future.

I have no doubt come August it will all start again when he puts out a baffling team selection in baffling positions and formation. For now though, lets enjoy the summer.
    Amen to that

Why are people so anti-Calderwood? He's a young manager who has made mistakes in the past, but has ultimately done his job of getting us promotion.

Some people are crediting the players alone, remind me again who brought the likes of Cohen, Wilson, Smith and the rest to the club?

Also, some of you are making out that getting out of League 1 is easy to do...where have you been for the past 3 years?! It isn't as easy as some of you make out, there are some decent players and some decent teams, CC has seen us finish 4th, and 2nd in a tough division, hardly a failure! He's done his job, getting promotion back to the Championship. Yes it was expected of him, and he did achieve...how is that possibly a negative!!! He achieved what he was expected to do, yes maybe we could have finished first, but it really doesn't matter! As for the cups, you're having a laugh. I was more than happy to just focus on the league this season.

I'm not saying he always does what is right, and I'm not saying he doesn't make mistakes. But ultimately he got us promotion, so I don't understand how people can just write him off as useless? Maybe people will still be unconvinced totally, that's fair enough, he's only been here 2 years, but you cannot write him off with any justification.

Quote Originally Posted by matt1988
    Some people are crediting the players alone, remind me again who brought the likes of Cohen, Wilson, Smith and the rest to the club?
    According to Doughty, Pleat was responsible for the signings.

get behind colin he was an good manger and will become a excellnt manger

Quote Originally Posted by nffc4eva-danny
    get behind colin he was an good manger and will become a excellnt manger
    and one day you may become an excellent typist...

Quote Originally Posted by Alvar Hanso
    According to Doughty, Pleat was responsible for the signings.
    I'm sure CC has no input at all on those signings.

Quote Originally Posted by matt1988
    Also, some of you are making out that getting out of League 1 is easy to do...where have you been for the past 3 years?! It isn't as easy as some of you make out, there are some decent players and some decent teams, CC has seen us finish 4th, and 2nd in a tough division, hardly a failure!
    Leeds have shown this division to be what it really is.

1 point off the title in their first season.

They see me trollin'

Quote Originally Posted by garibaldi
    Leeds have shown this division to be what it really is.

1 point off the title in their first season.*
    And they had twatty wise as manager.

he kind of knew what he was doing he always knew we w as going to go up automatic he has made mistakes(just like the club has) but i think he and the club can learn from all their mistakes

The question of whether he's a good manager cannot be answered until at least 15 games into next season. I would say it's still open for debate - at times Colin has looked clueless but at other times I've thought maybe his style of play (strong defence, focus on passing the ball) would work better in higher divisions.

Nothing is black and white in football. Most Forest fans regard Megson as a sh!t manager but to be fair to him he managed to rescue Bolton and had a good run in the UEFA cup. I'm not sure you can read that much into Colin's Legaue One track record either.....although to be fair it's not even that bad. Playoffs followed by automatic promotion. Not a bad stint with Northamption either! He's certainly not a terrible manager based on his achievements alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marriboom!
    We're not going to be winning cups, we were still a league 1 side. Maybe this year we can look forward and progess further in competitions. Luckily we will automatically get to the third round.
    The cups are not the most important games by any means but losing to Leicester (with a one goal head start) and Luton is far from satisfactory in my opinion.

We never had any right to get promotion from L1 during ANY of the seasons we were in it. *The sooner some people get their heads out their arses and realise that, the better it'll be for them.

Calderwood AND the players fought their way out of a very tough league and they deserve some credit for that.

Want to know what happens when you sack managers willy nilly? *Look at us a few years ago and now, Leicester and to a lesser extent, Derby.

You could probably add Mansfield and County in to that too!

They see me trollin'

Quote Originally Posted by wesizleftpeg
    We never had any right to get promotion from L1 during ANY of the seasons we were in it. *The sooner some people get their heads out their arses and realise that, the better it'll be for them.

Calderwood AND the players fought their way out of a very tough league and they deserve some credit for that.

Want to know what happens when you sack managers willy nilly? *Look at us a few years ago and now, Leicester and to a lesser extent, Derby.

You could probably add Mansfield and County in to that too!
    Leeds had two managers last season and finished 1 point off the title.
    Our squad was better than theirs.

deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Spring Heeled Jack
    Certainly not me!
    Glad to hear it.

Thought you were going to waver there for a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonios Gubba
    Glad to hear it.

Thought you were going to waver there for a minute.
    Not a chance my friend, not a chance!

Long Serving Member

If Paul Ince is still in charge of MK Dons come the start of the season then see how he fairs. Because many will believe he to be a better manager than Calderwood (me included). But I still think he'll struggle in that League. It's too unpredictable, as is The Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno
    If Paul Ince is still in charge of MK Dons come the start of the season then see how he fairs. Because many will believe he to be a better manager than Calderwood (me included). But I still think he'll struggle in that League. It's too unpredictable, as is The Championship.
    Difference is look how much money Ince has spent to get out of League 2, very little.

Weasel

Hold on, what about this for the whole Calderwood/Doughty still being rubbish debate.

Do correct me if I'm wrong, (not my spelling mistakes, that's just drivell), but the moaners say that:

- Calderwood had one of the strongest squads in the division, therefore promotion was the minimum expected?
    - Doughty doesn't back his managers and doesn't put his money where his mouth is.

Now I don't know about anyone else but I see a massive flaw in this argument. Either Calderwood was backed when he was allowed to spend money on Cohen, Davies, Agogo, Smith, Chambers, Lockwood, Lennon (wages) etc. Which means he was adequately supported by the chairman, or he wasn't supported enough, meaning it wasnt his fault he didnt have the best squad, hence promotion in 2nd, (3rd) place was a good achievement? It takes quite a degree of ignorance to argue that both the above are true, but this unfortunately is the case.

There's no such thing as a place simply for people who share a love of Forest to have a chat about it on the net. Each of the forums I've seen always have your element of self important, egotists and the customary line of ego masseurs dancing behind like a line of the Pied Piper's rats. Shame really, I do enjoy debating all things Forest, but not like this. The way they came out in force last night to celebrate someone leaving the forum as some sort of moral victory was moronic and embarassing, but sadly some people's self importance knows no bounds.