Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball

Default Re: baseball

Go on, San Francisco.

They're not in Kansas any more, Toto.

Last edited by Francis Benali (on loan); 26-10-14 at 08:43.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If it goes to 3-3 I'll make an effort to sit down and watch the seventh game.

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho's Dragon View Post
    Special stadium that. Would love to visit all of them. The Milwauke Brewers one with the guy on the slide when they hit the home run!

I'll dig out my pics of the Yankees Stadium sometime - the new one sadly but Frank Siantra junior sang and it cost about $16
    The Brewers are only 83 miles away from WF hence the I94 rivalry. Interstate 94 is hardly the A52, and I'm not sure there's anyone who famously coached both clubs to name the highway after. There's also the Route 66 rivalry with The Cardinals which obviously equates to the M1 rivalry with Sheff Utd. Maybe.

"Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

I wonder how tickets work for these games? Presumably game seven in the World Series is sold out even though it may not happen. Like fifth day of a test match I suppose.

But must be odd knowing you have potentially the most sought after ticket of the year, but also potentially a meaningless piece of card. If Kansas were 3-2 up going into game six would you want your team to win to take the World Series for first time in your lifetime, or lose so you can go to the biggest game you'll ever see in person your lifetime?

As close as I made it to a game at Wrigley Field. It was October.

Attached Images Attached Images

Not that type of player

It is similar to a day five of a test match dilemma. Do I want England to skittle the Aussies out on day four for a famous victory? Probably not if I only have tickets for day five.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    It is similar to a day five of a test match dilemma. Do I want England to skittle the Aussies out on day four for a famous victory? Probably not if I only have tickets for day five.

But this is the World Series. You've waited your whole life to see the Royals win the World Series. Its 3-2 Royals in games in the ninth innings. The bases are loaded and Royals are down by one in the ninth innings with two already out. You're watching from home with a game 7 ticket. Do you want two of those guys to get home and spark a massive street party, or do you want the next man out so get to attend what you know will be the biggest game your team ever plays in your lifetime?

Ferris Bueller?

Looks amazing. 86k and mostly in there. That stand must be huge.

Last edited by Francis Benali (on loan); 26-10-14 at 09:39.

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    Ferris Bueller?

He wasn't there, he couldn't get the day off.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I occasionally watch it, but its not as much fun as football.

its very much their cricket to our football... if that makes sense...

oh and in a similar way to county cricket they play all day every day through the summer I belive...
    Don't they have two sessions in a day sometimes? I almost went to watch the Cubs play one time. I ended up having a pizza round the corner from Wrigley Fields before heading back downtown. If as you say its as boring as cricket (and I don't see a lot of difference in entertainment value between cricket and American football) then I'm glad I didn't. I wish I'd gone to the hockey though.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    As close as I made it to a game at Wrigley Field. It was October.
    Yes, I walked past it too!

I was set to take nephew to see the Winnipeg Goldeyes v Sioux Falls Canaries (I think) in a minor league warm up match earlier in the year, but it was washed out. I think perhaps that one had the potential to be somewhat attritional. But we'll probably try again next year. All sporting events, teams, stadiums are worth checking out once.

Not that type of player

Souix Falls Canaries is a good name. Up there with South Bend Silver Hawks.

Interesting thing with the American system. It creates these 'hapless' teams that have never won. Northampton Town fans aren't going to spend a lifetime thinking 'can't believe we've never won the FA Cup'. Its not even on their radar. But whilst its not a level playing field in American sports, every franchise has a shot at winning.

You get teams on a drought like the Royals and Cubs or teams that have never won like Brewers and Detroit Lions. San Diego hasn't won a World Series or a Superbowl.

Only because they do get a chance do you get fans freaking out like the Royals fan in the link above. He knows if they blow this, that could be it for his lifetime. Buffalo Bills went to four Superbowls in a row without winning it. And their kicker missed a field goal to win the first with the final play of the game. And you have the Cubs fan who impeded his side's outfielder and had to leave town. Trendy coffee drinking, yoga pant wearing Vancouverites trashed their beautiful city on the two occasions nearly twenty years apart that they made game seven of the Stanley Cup and lost. People are going to lose their minds. So much tension and the guy who fluffs it guarantees a whole bunch of people's lives will remain unfulfilled.

With football, we know there are a handful of teams that can win it this year. The same teams will compete for it next year, and the year after, and the year after... The rest, in the big scheme of things are pretty much pointless. But if an American franchise that is THE worst uses its picks sensibly and takes its chance when it finally comes around after years of waiting, it can win. You'd imagine Royals fan will be completely unable to concentrate on anything in real life at the moment.

Last edited by Enzo Francescoli (on loan); 26-10-14 at 20:28.

86,000 at Busch Stadium? That would be quite a feat since it only holds roughly half of that. Were they sitting on each other's laps?

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo Francescoli (on loan) View Post
    Interesting thing with the American system. It creates these 'hapless' teams that have never won. Northampton Town fans aren't going to spend a lifetime thinking 'can't believe we've never won the FA Cup'. Its not even on their radar. But whilst its not a level playing field in American sports, every franchise has a shot at winning.

You get teams on a drought like the Royals and Cubs or teams that have never won like Brewers and Detroit Lions. San Diego hasn't won a World Series or a Superbowl.

Only because they do get a chance do you get fans freaking out like the Royals fan in the link above. He knows if they blow this, that could be it for his lifetime. Buffalo Bills went to four Superbowls in a row without winning it. And their kicker missed a field goal to win the first with the final play of the game. And you have the Cubs fan who impeded his side's outfielder and had to leave town. Trendy coffee drinking, yoga pant wearing Vancouverites trashed their beautiful city on the two occasions nearly twenty years apart that they made game seven of the Stanley Cup and lost. People are going to lose their minds. So much tension and the guy who fluffs it guarantees a whole bunch of people's lives will remain unfulfilled.

With football, we know there are a handful of teams that can win it this year. The same teams will compete for it next year, and the year after, and the year after... The rest, in the big scheme of things are pretty much pointless. But if an American franchise that is THE worst uses its picks sensibly and takes its chance when it finally comes around after years of waiting, it can win. You'd imagine Royals fan will be completely unable to concentrate on anything in real life at the moment.
    Great post - sums up the beauty of North American sport!

3-2 Giants. Back to Kansas.

Not my photo this, but I was sat up there somewhere. Crap name AT&T Park, but probably the nicest stadium I've ever visited for the view.

Not that type of player

Just watched the highlights.
    Royals go 15 consecutive innings without scoring. It's looking ominous.
    I'm hoping for that seventh game, but fear Tuesday in Kansas City might be the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by adam09 View Post
    I share the dislike for Baseball! I went to a Yankees game last time I was in NY... people moan about NFL games taking between 2-4 hours, but at least things actually happen in the meantime.

We sat there for hours, there was 3 runs in the first innings, 1 in the 3rd and nobody hit a ****ing ball after that. It'd be like 2 or 3 football matchs not even having a shot on target! To make it worse, people were constantly up and down every 20 minutes gettin food and drink.

I always thought it was the worser of the major US sports (and I really like the other 3) but the others have been in the off-season whenever I've been to the US. Not next time!
    Sounds like the last few games at the City Ground...

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    Just watched the highlights.
    Royals go 15 consecutive innings without scoring. It's looking ominous.
    I'm hoping for that seventh game, but fear Tuesday in Kansas City might be the end of it.
    Has Steve Cotterill showed up?

Not that type of player

So Royals win 10-0, scoring 7 in the 2nd, to take the World Series to the seventh game.

Game on...

Good. Game on.

Who cares Anyway...?

I was in Florida about 10 years ago when the Florida Somethingorothers were in the World Series final. I quite enjoyed the experience of watching some of it in a bar with the locals, but have to say I had very little idea what was actually happening.