Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball

森林!

Default Re: baseball

Quote Originally Posted by sebs View Post
    does anyone else enjoy it?

thought i'd share this from last night cos i couldn't believe it when i saw it. i sort of picked cincinnati reds as my team (any guess why?) in 2007. they've been **** every season since this one and now they're actually doing rather well. so there's a blog that gets updated and people comment on the game that is happening...

http://www.redreporter.com/2010/8/18...rough#comments

notice anything?

if you enjoy cricket i do not see why you couldn't extend that enjoyment to baseball.

Well, last night Aug 20, the Reds played a typical boring (in your English standard, also my own standard, lack of runs scoring opportunities, pure pitching duals and defensive plays, etc.) but effective (the tight, disciplined pitching performance plus good fielding defense minimized the damage opponent might create, thus a victory is awarded.) game.

Seven victories in a row after that horrific three games sweep at home against divisional rival St.Louis.

And btw, yes, the Reds prior to this year were always the game's afterthoughts, but the young players are maturing and this could be the starting year of a happy era Cincy hasn't enjoyed since the 80s.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i don't mind the alleged 'boring' games. tonight's isn't boring and we're losing that one.

Quote Originally Posted by adam09 View Post
    Surely it's more like seeing a session of a test match where nobody hits the ball for a run?
    no, because cricket and baseball are the other way round - in cricket runs are cheap and outs are hard to get, in baseball outs are cheap and runs are hard to get

森林!

i don't mind the alleged 'boring' games. tonight's isn't boring and we're losing that one.

Starting pitcher was awful.

Rice IV

It's quite low down on my list of American Sports preferences.

I always used to prefer Basketball, but more recently I'm favouring American Football.

Went to see the Knicks play in New York a few years ago, which was excellent. A great experience.

Next time I go to the States I want to go and see an NFL game and a College Football game. I'm probably more enamoured by the College Football, to be honest.

Having watched a fair few games, I'm becoming more and more a fan of the MLS, too. It's becoming a very decent and watchable league.

As for baseball, I'm not sure I'd like to sit through a game on TV, but then I used to say that about American Football, only to stay up til crazy o'clock watching the Superbowl at the start of the year.

I'd happily go along to a game, though. I prefer it to cricket, which is ****.

Talk to me, Goose.

Ice Hockey is better.

American Football a close second. I've tried to watch Baseball a few times but it just bores the hell out of me. Yet I love Cricket, strange one.

Quote Originally Posted by wanghawaii View Post
    Starting pitcher was awful.
    he's just come back from a ban. arroyo was better yesterday but i didn't get to watch that. big series against the giants now.

basketball? i HATE basketball, it's absolutely ****e. that is a seriously boring sport. but as we have proved, each to their own.

no, because cricket and baseball are the other way round - in cricket runs are cheap and outs are hard to get, in baseball outs are cheap and runs are hard to get
    That's the problem with baseball. When nobody is hitting the ball there is nothing else going on - you're just watching a guy throw a ball. In all the other sports, there is plenty to take in, even if there's little or no score!

you see it as a problem, i see it as an advantage. but hey, you've been to a match right? i haven't

Anybody watching the World Series?

I've been to see San Franciso Giants. I saw LA and San Diego too, but I preferred San Francisco because it is such an ace city and they had the nicest stadium. Fans sat in boats on the bay waiting for home run balls. I think I have a Giants hat. And I ran a 10k from that started at the baseball stadium and finished on the pitch at Candlestick Park (49ers stadium). It went through a rough part of town that the race was in aid of. Rather than a lead bicycle, Hell's Angels actually led us all the way.

So for those reasons...go San Francisco. They appear to be winning game one comfortably. Ultimately though I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by wanghawaii View Post
    LA Angels fan here, too bad they are horse feces this year and every year after 2002.
    One of the games I saw was the Dodgers v Angels. $6 to get in (six bucks for the local derby in the national sport - hear that Scudamore?) Dodgers won 3-2. After the game I was caught up in some baseball hooliganism as one Dodgers fan was chirping away at some Angels fans telling them everybody from Orange County had fat assess.

They've already played again. They don't hang about do they. Tied now. Kansas City Royals won today.

Come on Giants win anothrr one!

Got into baseball a few years ago - only seen Yankees v Rays live but followed San Fran through that magical season a few years ago - where originally they were the underdogs suprising everyone, embarassing the Phillies. Now they are my team

Way out of it this year but when I had ESPN I used to watch all the postseason.

Would love to watch them in San Fran sometime!

Not that type of player

Ooh just found this thread.

Royals take a 2-1 lead then...

I'm in the Royals camp. Underdog and all that.

Last edited by Ravi; 25-10-14 at 09:36.
    "Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    Ooh just found this thread.

Royals take a 2-1 lead then...

I'm in the Royals camp. Underdog and all that.
    St Louis Cardinals for me!

5963_1380409455507758_22739622_n.jpg [/ATTACH] 7891_1380409102174460_215560423_n.jpg 1044069_1380407955507908_27657320_n.jpg 971459_1380408212174549_2036248361_n.jpg

I went to see Cadinals v Kansas City Royals last year at the St Louis Busch Stadium. Was a local Derby game, attendance was 86,000. The ticket cost me $16.

Cardinals won 6-4

Last edited by rockabilly; 25-10-14 at 11:44.

LA Dodgers v LA Angels 2005 for $6

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    LA Dodgers v LA Angels 2005 for $6
    They'd have to pay me more than that to watch glorified rounders.

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're procrastinating, get some work done!”

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    St Louis Cardinals for me!

5963_1380409455507758_22739622_n.jpg [/ATTACH] 7891_1380409102174460_215560423_n.jpg 1044069_1380407955507908_27657320_n.jpg 971459_1380408212174549_2036248361_n.jpg

I went to see Cadinals v Kansas City Royals last year at the St Louis Busch Stadium. Was a local Derby game, attendance was 86,000. The ticket cost me $16.

Cardinals won 6-4
    Ha! Cubs are my team.

Chicago Cubs v St. Louis Cardinals (0-1 )

Sunday, July 27, 2014, 2:20 pm, Wrigley Field
    Attendance: 35,256, Marquee-priced game $23

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post

Ha! Cubs are my team.

Chicago Cubs v St. Louis Cardinals (0-1 )

Sunday, July 27, 2014, 2:20 pm, Wrigley Field
    Attendance: 35,256, Marquee-priced game $23

Special stadium that. Would love to visit all of them. The Milwauke Brewers one with the guy on the slide when they hit the home run!

I'll dig out my pics of the Yankees Stadium sometime - the new one sadly but Frank Siantra junior sang and it cost about $16

Left Winger

Fenway Park, Boston - home of the Red Sox and father famous "green monster" is a fantastic old stadium.

"It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    Fenway Park, Boston - home of the Red Sox and father famous "green monster" is a fantastic old stadium.
    Definitely on the list! Criticise baseball all you like but these are some of the most characterful and colourful sports stadia on the planet!

I visited Wrigley Field, but didn't see a game unfortunately.

Fenway, I've run past at the Boston Marathon. Pretty difficult to get tickets there. Especially marathon weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho's Dragon View Post
    Definitely on the list! Criticise baseball all you like but these are some of the most characterful and colourful sports stadia on the planet!
    Yep.

Not that type of player

My favourite thing about Wrigley Field is The Wrigley Rooftops - the bleachers and seating on the buildings around the stadium. I've never seen anything else like it at another sports stadium.

2-2 btw

They used to have seats on the top of the TBI if I recall correctly. Seats would be full for the test match.