Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The honeymoon is over?

Default The honeymoon is over?

What a great buzz for the last couple of weeks!

Respectability once more. Heads held high and new Forest badge in the rear window of the motor as I traverse derby every day.

The first close season for many years with a positive vibe, full of anticipation and expectation.

But......

What does the future hold? Is our Nige the greatest thing since sliced bread?

For the close season, I'm willing to forget Nigel has taken Forest nowhere in 10 years. Forget the all time historic low and dire football served up along the way. Willing to forget a presesion of piss poor managers employed to tow the line and work with minimal budgets. Willing to forget he sold all the previous young talent and willing to forget the endless spin timely released to generate interest in a once proud club that he allowed to crumble and become a laughing stock.

But now the ball is firmly in your court Nigel. The next year, really will make or break you. Its time to put up or shut up young man.

Forest only escaped the third tier of English football with luck. Swansea & Leeds were yards better. Only a controversial points deduction allowed us to sneak out and back up through the trap door. But we will take that piece of luck, I think we were overdue a large slice.

Wasn't it great to see Nigel dancing round the players changing rooms, celebrating our glory that he had bank rolled. Perhaps, just for a moment there, he had another Platt rush of blood to his cheque book moment?

But what does the future hold for Forest and our Nige?

Take the euphoria and elation out for a moment and take an honest snap shot of the immediate future.

As the squad stands now, we are bottom 6.

We are going into arguably the most competitive league in Europe. Packed with strong teams who have tasted Prem football in recent years and still on the scent. The majority of the chasing pack have ambition! Colchester and Scunthorpe have gone, there are no easy games.

4/5 Forest players will be departing. One or two could be bigger names?

Its well documented we require some quality fire power up front. Fantastic that we are being linked with some house hold names. But will we sign any?? Best? 2.5mill? That farce along with the Scottish lad we bid for was a well drilled press release designed to appease the fans, with no serious intention of ever splashing the cash. Lets hope Nigel is being honest this time eh?

A season in the Championship is reckoned to be worth 9 million in additional revenue compared to Div 1. Season tickets have also increased 10%. Thats got to be worth another 2 million a season at this level with larger gates.

Nigel has to learn from his previous mistakes and now has an opportunity to prove his worth to the football club. We can not go back again, God forbid!

So over to you Nige, lets wipe the slate clean and you now have the opportunity to prove you are a man of honour and that you really do love Nottingham Forest.

U Reds!!!

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: The honeymoon is over?

I don't believe this is Kilburn for one second.

There is not enough negativity in this thread.

.k I m
    I m u mm

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Le Pop
    I don't believe this is Kilburn for one second.

There is not enough negativity in this thread.
    Give it time, or to be more precise, 11/12 weeks.

Weasel

How very gracious of you to forget all the horrible things Nigel has done! I'm sure he'll be thrilled to bits. Keith Haslam gets assaulted at Mansfield, but our chairman who is clearly guilty of similar crimes is let off the hook even by yourself. Whats the world coming too.

You're right, we were the 3rd best team in the league, and were lucky to go up. In many respects though we deserve it, we went through exactly what Leeds did and managed to stay out of administration, partially by selling our best talent when we needed to, so if you think about it that's come home to roost now and we've collected our reward by remaining above board behind the scenes.

Just out of interest is FOND still going or is the club now magically run differently off the field?

Quote Originally Posted by Stratty
    If you don't get a ST next season I will be very surprised.
    I have to say, I do love being right

2 years in a row, see you this time next year Kilburn when you bottle it in the summer again.

Good to have you back though.

oopsy daisy!

Quote Originally Posted by Kilburn Red
    What a great buzz for the last couple of weeks!

Respectability once more. Heads held high and new Forest badge in the rear window of the motor as I traverse derby every day.

The first close season for many years with a positive vibe, full of anticipation and expectation.

But......

What does the future hold? Is our Nige the greatest thing since sliced bread?*

For the close season, I'm willing to forget Nigel has taken Forest nowhere in 10 years. Forget the all time historic low and dire football served up along the way. Willing to forget a presesion of p**s poor managers employed to tow the line and work with minimal budgets. Willing to forget he sold all the previous young talent and willing to forget the endless spin timely released to generate interest in a once proud club that he allowed to crumble and become a laughing stock.

But now the ball is firmly in your court Nigel. The next year, really will make or break you. Its time to put up or shut up young man.

Forest only escaped the third tier of English football with luck. Swansea & Leeds were yards better. Only a controversial points deduction allowed us to sneak out and back up through the trap door. But we will take that piece of luck, I think we were overdue a large slice.

Wasn't it great to see Nigel dancing round the players changing rooms, celebrating our glory that he had bank rolled. Perhaps, just for a moment there, he had another Platt rush of blood to his cheque book moment?

Take the euphoria and elation out for a moment and take an honest snap shot of the immediate future.

As the squad stands now, we are bottom 6.

We are going into arguably the most competitive league in Europe. Packed with strong teams who have tasted Prem football in recent years and still on the scent. The majority of the chasing pack have ambition! Colchester and Sc**thorpe have gone, there are no easy games.

Its well documented we require some quality fire power up front. Fantastic that we are being linked with some house hold names. But will we sign any?? Best? 2.5mill? That farce along with the Scottish lad we bid for was a well drilled press release designed to appease the fans, with no serious intention of ever splashing the cash. Lets hope Nigel is being honest this time eh?

A season in the Championship is reckoned to be worth 9 million in additional revenue compared to Div 1. Season tickets have also increased 10%. Thats got to be worth another 2 million a season at this level with larger gates.

Nigel has to learn from his previous mistakes and now has an opportunity to prove his worth to the football club. We can not go back again, God forbid!

So over to you Nige, lets wipe the slate clean and you now have the opportunity to prove you are a man of honour and that you really do love Nottingham Forest.

U Reds!!!* *

I don't think you can get fairer than that.

Well said and well done sir!

We always have spin. Big names coming...

He really does need to back up his statements and get the players in.

Earnie would be excellent... But would we pay his wages?

Beattie is out of our league. Prem clubs are after him.

So come on Nige... Show us ur metal

Fair pre-season assumptions

I can only see the team managing a mid table assault and not much more. But that is with the current crop of players. League 1 is harder to get out of, but I am under no illusion that CCC is easier. I feel that Colins type of tactics are more suited to a higher level of football. Look at how many giant killings there are every season in the cups?

No, Colin is by no means a world class manager, but yes he can do a job in the CCC. I just hope people realise we are NOT going to be challenging for the playoffs or automatic promotion this (or is it still next?) season, and let him get on with the season.

Of course, by no means am I going to accept us struggling to stay up and it looking likely we are hoping for a finish similar to last season (or is it this season? im so confused) But as long as we remain mid table not a single fan can really complain too much about the end result.....

Man Utd were soo lucky winning the Premiership this year dontcha think? If they hadn't had Bennett in charge for their final game they would never have won the league.

oopsy daisy!

Quote Originally Posted by tommygaynor
    Man Utd were soo lucky winning the Premiership this year dontcha think?* If they hadn't had Bennett in charge for their final game they would never have won the league.
    Ah, so who would you prefer - Ferguson or Calderwood?

I'm just saying that no-one is going round saying Man U were lucky by winning the Premiership on goal difference but we were lucky getting automatic promotion by 2 clear points!!

tstatham

The wind changes very frequently around here doesn't it. So frequently that we often don't know where its coming from next...

so..

Kilburn/Jack et all

Time to post your colours to the mast. What would it take for you to say "Nigel, you have done well this summer, you do have Forests best interests in mind".

We need this setting out right now to stop the wind changing again without warning.

What will it take guys? 5mil spent, 10mil? What? 2 New strikers, 1 mid, 2 full backs?

Let us know what you consider a successful summer time for Forest (forget the next season, lets just get through to August knowing where you are coming from and what you expect).

Is that possible or will it not leave enough leeway for Doughty bashing?

Rice IV

I'm just saying that no-one is going round saying Man U were lucky by winning the Premiership on goal difference but we were lucky getting automatic promotion by 2 clear points!!
    Man Utd won the league by two clear points.

Talk to me, Goose.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilburn Red

There was nothing controversial about it - Leeds broke the rules and were made to pay for it!

As the squad stands now, we are bottom 6

Your credibility is shot - for months you have been saying that we were destined to miss out on promotion. Why should anyone give your predictions/statements/FACTS any credence?

Inside information? The club has said that this squad will be given a chance next season.

Its well documented we require some quality fire power up front. Fantastic that we are being linked with some house hold names. But will we sign any?? Best? 2.5mill? That farce along with the Scottish lad we bid for was a well drilled press release designed to appease the fans, with no serious intention of ever splashing the cash.

Are you seriously suggesting that the club don't WANT to sign players? The Best farce was entirely Coventry's doing

I love the argument that Forest never wanted to spend money.

That somehow these bids were all just a cover up.

The fact is - We dont want to WASTE money anymore. So we line up players we think will seriously add to the squad, draw up a maximum price we think they are worth and then NEGOTIATE up to that price.

These same people moaning about us not buying would be the same moaning if we overpaid for players.

We are a smart football club now. The money is there but we wont just piss it away like in the past.

Objective was promotion...Regardless of how people try to knock that, we achieved it. Indications are there that we will bring in players to make us competitive in this league. There is seriously nothing negative to be said at this point.

(For the record I think even if we only added an Earnshaw type player we would finish midtable, we are fantastic defensively, will be hard to beat and the thing we have lacked has been someone who can score the half chances.)

oopsy daisy!

Manchester United went into their last game in the box seat, with their destiny in their own hands. Yes, they were fortunate in that last game, especially with other results going their way.

Some of you need to accept that we got lucky on the last day. We had a great run in - CC and the squad ground out results and put immense pressure on a faltering group ahead and it paid off. Those that deny the luck element of the last day and are working on the premise that as we went up automatically everything is ok need to wonder if that 'last minute' approach is going to work every time.

Rice 13

Quote Originally Posted by Erik
    need to wonder if that 'last minute' approach is going to work every time*
    Seems to have worked for Leeds an awful lot this season.
    Although I do believe that they didnt take this as a tactic into games

oopsy daisy!

Quote Originally Posted by uredsuns

Fair point.
    Then again - it sort of balances out because they've got Ken Bates.

Rice IV

18 times this season they have won or drawn a game through a goal 85+ minutes.

Maybe it is testament to a 'never say die' attitude they seem to have.

How many teams have we seen settle for the scoreline with 10 minutes to go?

oopsy daisy!

Quote Originally Posted by richjcrouch
    I know of at least one that would happily settle for a 1-0 win after 10 minutes!

We played 42 games and were 2nd best in the league. Donny and Carlisle bottled it and as such were not as good as us. We held our nerve and got a result. We weren't lucky on the last day we were the better team. We thrashed Cheltenham when we played them home and away.

Leeds cheated and as such had a squad better than they should have been able to afford. If they hadn't been able to sign good players and were forced to sell Beckford etc they would have been relegated. 15 points is getting off very light for them.

We weren't lucky we were good enough. You don't get promoted by being lucky. I'm not saying we played champagne football and destroyed the league but over the season we did the job.

Our defence and keeper will be great in the CCC. If we add 3 quality players to our attacking line up we could do a Bristol City.

Rice 13

Quote Originally Posted by richjcrouch
    18 times this season they have won or drawn a game through a goal 85+ minutes.

Maybe it is testament to a 'never say die' attitude they seem to have.

Although it does seem like coincidence that once Poyet and Wise left there results all of a sudden took a turn for the worse. Although in the play offs they seem to have found that attitude again.

oopsy daisy!

So you are quite happy to be dependent on other results going your way?

That's ok.

I'm just suggesting that there is an alternative view.

I also happen to agree with you - over the 42 games we were better than Doncaster or Carlisle.

oopsy daisy!

Although in the play offs they seem to have found that attitude again.
    Something to do with the tribunal maybe?

Rice 13

Quote Originally Posted by andyred

Our defence and keeper will be great in the CCC.
    Got to disagree there, yes our defence was the best in the division but taking the step up to the championship our current defence will get found out very easily. If teams in this division had decent strikers we could very well have conceded twice as many goals as what we did.