Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: I think this guy has hit the Nail right on the head

Default I think this guy has hit the Nail right on the head

Concerns raised on club ownership*

Manchester City is the latest club to be taken over by foreign investors
    The Football Association should have tighter regulations on foreign ownership of football clubs, according to culture secretary Andy Burnham.

Burnham plans to say there should be controls in order to prevent the game "losing touch with its core support".

"We need to ask urgently what we want for the future before something precious is lost," he will say.

"I want the FA to step up to the challenge and lead an in-depth look at regulating the finance of football."

There has been a host of foreign buy-outs in British football over recent years, with Manchester United, Liverpool, Aston Villa and Portsmouth all now in the hands of overseas owners.

And in the latest high-profile takeover, Arab company Abu Dhabi United Group bought a majority stake in Manchester City at the start of September.* 606: DEBATE
    Do you agree with Burnham's views?

In his speech in Westminster on Thursday, Burnham will express concern that a club's place in the community must be preserved.

"Professional football has its origins in the community and community organisations," he is due to say.

"Those origins built the fierce loyalty in clubs, with supporters seeing the clubs as expressions of their identity.

"That loyalty is actually what makes the clubs so marketable but in marketing them there is a real risk of eroding their place in the community."

Burnham says the 'fit and proper person test' for prospective club owners should be strengthened and insists it should be the FA, and not the Government, that should regulate the game.

"Regulation has to be led by the FA - it is not for the government to run football," he told the Guardian.

"We should not delude ourselves that there is interest solely because of the quality of the play. It is also because other countries have football clubs which are mutually owned by their supporters, democratic and not for sale."