Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where are they now? #2 Gareth Williams

Default Re: Where are they now? #2 Gareth Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Loughborough_red View Post
    Not usually one to reply to my own posts but I think that leaving a decade between posts makes this just about forgivable.

Gareth Williams was mentioned in the zoom chat between Dawson, Reid and Jenas and it occured to me that I hadn't thought about him in a long time which is a shame as he was a talented lad. Tarnished it a bit with his badge kissing exploits before jumping ship to Leicester but it was a shame the way his career ended. I put him on a par with Jenas and Reid at one point.

Anyone know what he's up to these days?
    He was a really talented player who made the game look easy. Always underrated because he just kept things ticking along, picking the ball up from defence and picking the right options. Thing that always struck me was that he always had time on the ball and never looked rushed. He'd have looked great at a ball playing Prem club, a Martinez type team, but like a dick chose long ball Leicester.
    I worked with a good mate of his who was a good laugh but pretty brainless. Birds of a feather and all that.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It's all about mid-table...

Me Brother sponsored his shirt in whatever season, think he did Chris Doig's shirt anorl.

Liked his smooth play but obviously went off him like everybody else.

Billy Davies long lost lovechild.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ray's Redlist View Post
    He was a really talented player who made the game look easy. Always underrated because he just kept things ticking along, picking the ball up from defence and picking the right options. Thing that always struck me was that he always had time on the ball and never looked rushed. He'd have looked great at a ball playing Prem club, a Martinez type team, but like a dick chose long ball Leicester.
    I worked with a good mate of his who was a good laugh but pretty brainless. Birds of a feather and all that.
    Great summary. Another career flushed down the shitter chasing false dreams.

Although that said back then we'd have sold our mam for 1p under Marthur, so not sure how much Williams wanted to move, and how much Marthur wanted to continue to sell our soul to pick up his bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos View Post
    Great summary. Another career flushed down the shitter chasing false dreams.

Although that said back then we'd have sold our mam for 1p under Marthur, so not sure how much Williams wanted to move, and how much Marthur wanted to continue to sell our soul to pick up his bonus.
    His career went down the shitter because of an injury. He was highly thought of at both Leicester and Watford.

Like it or not a lot of Forest players have felt they needed to move from the club in order to progress their own ambitions. Williams was probably one of the first of the new millenium, but there have been absolutely loads thereafter him. Dawson, Reid, Morgan, Commons, Burke, Lascelles, Harewood, Bamford, Freeman, Prutton, Jenas, Perch, Osborn to name but a few.

.k I m
    I m u mm

Billy Davies long lost lovechild.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    His career went down the shitter because of an injury. He was highly thought of at both Leicester and Watford.

Like it or not a lot of Forest players have felt they needed to move from the club in order to progress their own ambitions. Williams was probably one of the first of the new millenium, but there have been absolutely loads thereafter him. Dawson, Reid, Morgan, Commons, Burke, Lascelles, Harewood, Bamford, Freeman, Prutton, Jenas, Perch, Osborn to name but a few.
    A club he moved to chasing false dreams.

Had he stayed that injury may not have occured.

Karma mate.

Was never the same player after he joined MI6.

Ale ape.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos View Post
    I don't harbor the biterness that most seem to hold towards him. Must have been pretty demoralising being one of the players left on the team in those days, whilst the talents were sold off and replaced by journeymen. In hindsight, although I didn't see it at the time, I don't blame anyone for wanting out.

By most accounts he was a typical cerebrumly challenged footballer.

Agents pocket fodder, they love that they can control their every thought.

I always thought he was a bit overrated. And he kind of reminded me of the kid who worked in Alan Partridge's travel tavern.

Especially anonymous away from home. That Hart side was very exciting at home and lost 1-0 away every other week.

Ultimately the season ended in play off defeat at Sheff Utd. Biggest area where they had an edge over Forest? The two captains possibly? Michael Brown dragged Sheffield United through that semi-final.

If I was picking an all time XI to go get me a meek 1-0 away defeat every week, I'd start with Gareth Williams captain.

But to answer the question...

https://elite-union.pro/team.php

Was he captain? Never a Captain.

Sooner ev owd Cap off here !

Senior Doom Monger

Quote Originally Posted by Raymondo Ponte' View Post
    Was he captain? Never a Captain.

Sooner ev owd Cap off here !
    You rang?
    Talk to my agent!

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    I always thought he was a bit overrated. And he kind of reminded me of the kid who worked in Alan Partridge's travel tavern.

Especially anonymous away from home. That Hart side was very exciting at home and lost 1-0 away every other week.

Ultimately the season ended in play off defeat at Sheff Utd. Biggest area where they had an edge over Forest? The two captains possibly? Michael Brown dragged Sheffield United through that semi-final.

If I was picking an all time XI to go get me a meek 1-0 away defeat every week, I'd start with Gareth Williams captain.

But to answer the question...

https://elite-union.pro/team.php
    Well there we have it. Presumably he tells kids not to follow his example.

I agree, he wasn't a battler by any stretch of the imagination and he wasn't the same when Riccy Scimeca left. There was genuine talent there though. He'd need a Samba Sow type next to him to fit in our team but he'd have flourished under someone like Mark Warburton.

I can barely remember him, after 20 years of watching second division plodders they all become much of a muchness

Was excellent when he had someone next to him that could put his foot in.

Wish we had someone now in midfield with his range of passing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Yates View Post
    I can barely remember him, after 20 years of watching second division plodders they all become much of a muchness
    Easily confused with another average Gareth from around the same time - Gareth Taylor.

Somehow the former journeyman striker has worked his way up at Manchester City to Academy Manager. Pep must think he can learn a thing or two from the big man.

I always liked Andy Johnson from around the same time.

Even though he could get carried away at times, I enjoyed watching his enthusiasm as he attempted to tackle every man and their shadow in middle of the park.

Plus his long-range efforts and late runs into the box.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanRoy22 View Post
    I always liked Andy Johnson from around the same time.

Even though he could get carried away at times, I enjoyed watching his enthusiasm as he attempted to tackle every man and their shadow in middle of the park.

Plus his long-range efforts and late runs into the box.
    Enthusiastic is definitely one word to describe him...

I don't think I've heard anyone swear so much

Sounds like he was a big character in that dressing room that helped us gain promotion under Bassett. I did always think that.

Then Platt came in and seems like he put a stop to it all.

Platt put a stop to all of the fun, everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Yates View Post
    Too true, and the Motley Crew from the last decade I struggle to remember them the season after.

Never forget the volume of "wanker, wanker, wanker" hurled at him by A and B block when he was warming up as a sub for Leicester on his return to the CG. It was brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
    Never forget the volume of "wanker, wanker, wanker" hurled at him by A and B block when he was warming up as a sub for Leicester on his return to the CG. It was brilliant.
    Leicester had Scot Gemmill at around the same time.

Definitely winding down at that stage of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanRoy22 View Post
    Leicester had Scot Gemmill at around the same time.

Definitely winding down at that stage of his career.
    Forgotten about that. Great player Scot, chip off thee owd block.

Fine footballer. Always remember his late equaliser against Grimsby when we somehow found ourselves 2-1 down at home in the Paul Hart play-off season.

Quote Originally Posted by Anatoli View Post
    We got half a million for him. He's a knobjockey, but he's more likely to be a postman in future than a football player so all is good.
    Beats walking the streets