Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: tennis innit

deleted

Default Re: tennis innit

Well that's 10 hours of my life I'll never get back.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Antonios Gubba View Post
    Well that's 10 hours of my life I'll never get back.

True, but in all my years, I thought, what was Pancho Gonzalaez match like...

but... this smashes them all.

Amazing stuff.

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

For deffnate!

By "relegation battle", do you mean 7th, 12th or 14th?

Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Flagman View Post
    For deffnate!
    lol

Absolutely.

This is history.

Swedish Meatball

Hilarious sporting stuff, but as much as I like tennis and appreciate the amount of skill it takes for them to play on at such length, I don't think it's a great spectacle.

It's two guys who have a game based on their serves with not a lot to go with it, just a slugfest. The amount of break/match points have been minimal, considering the amount of games played. Lots of sets are won to love/15, with little movement or interest.

The reliance on the serve is one of the main criticisms of the men's game and this is the best example of it.

To say it is unusual and statistically historic is correct, but entertaining? No.

The crowd want medals for sitting through what must have been hour after hour of tedium.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbus View Post
    The crowd want medals for sitting through what must have been hour after hour of tedium.
    The umpire more so! The crowd were able to leave if they wanted!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Brolin View Post
    Hilarious sporting stuff, but as much as I like tennis and appreciate the amount of skill it takes for them to play on at such length, I don't think it's a great spectacle.

It's two guys who have a game based on their serves with not a lot to go with it, just a slugfest. The amount of break/match points have been minimal, considering the amount of games played. Lots of sets are won to love/15, with little movement or interest.

The reliance on the serve is one of the main criticisms of the men's game and this is the best example of it.

To say it is unusual and statistically historic is correct, but entertaining? No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbus View Post
    You two are both fucking mental.

Seriously, sod off and play 5-a-side football or something where it doesn't come down to one person againt another.

For, (my hope to win the match) Mahut, to come back, time after time and serve to stay in the match is utterley incredible.

You have to have amazing mental strength to keep this going.

Every second has been a knife edge. Ever game a win for one of these guys who will now go down in history books.

Tedium? Sod off and watch Ghana.

Greatest sporting contest of all time? It's right up there.

I feel sorry for anybody actually at Wimbledon who watched from the very start today until the end and won't be there to see the finish tomorrow. lol

It's two guys who have a game based on their serves with not a lot to go with it, just a slugfest.
    Right, just watch the game Ade.

Mahut, Doesn't have a big serve.

He mixes up when he serve volleys, He hits some massive backhand returns.

This hasn't been a slogfest.

Swedish Meatball

Quote Originally Posted by Tutts View Post
    Right, just watch the game Ade.

Mahut, Doesn't have a big serve.

He mixes up when he serve volleys, He hits some massive backhand returns.

This hasn't been a slogfest.
    I've watched a bit of it, maybe an hour or so.

If Mahut doesn't have a particularly big serve then it doesn't say a lot for Isner that he can't break him in almost 60 attempts. Slagging off the players isn't my argument though, of course it requires brilliant concentration, fitness and ability, but it doesn't make it a good spectacle.

If there was a number of breaks and then breaks back then it would have been on a knife-edge. To my knowledge there hasn't been, it's been to serve all the way through.

This isn't among my favourite tennis matches and although I'm interested to see who wins it, I won't count it anywhere near that list. Compare it to the Nadal v Federer final at Wimbledon in 2008 - it's not in the same league.

This isn't among my favourite tennis matches and although I'm interested to see who wins it, I won't count it anywhere near that list. Compare it to the Nadal v Federer final at Wimbledon in 2008 - it's not in the same league.
    In terms of shot making?

Of course not. The 08 Final may never be bettered.

These two won't win the tournament.

In terms of making the right shot under pressure, these two are absolutely nailing it.

Any time one of them get's to 30-30 on their serve, they pull out the right play. It's incredible.

Shameful, that the completion will be 3rd match on court 18. #it should be third match on Centre to get the admiration.

If Mahut doesn't have a particularly big serve then it doesn't say a lot for Isner that he can't break him in almost 60 attempts. Slagging off the players isn't my argument though, of course it requires brilliant concentration, fitness and ability, but it doesn't make it a good spectacle.
    Mahut, is playing and serving, brilliantly. He's mixing it up. Making the other guy guess.

Seriously one of the greatest serving performances I've ever, ever seen.

It's far from the greatest, I'll grant you, but hugely amusing and entertaining, primarily from the viewpoint that both players are playing long, long after the "tired, knackered, shattered, exhausted, fucked and "have spent so much I've actually gone delusional" " barriers have been passed, and they can both smash returns into the proverbial postage stamp, and still the deftest of drop-shots...

Isner returned from a short break so completely mentally drained that he got 3/4 way to the base-line before he noticed he wasn't carrying his racquet....

Fantastic stuff!

I'd love to see the stats on things like how much weight each player lost, volume of fluid drunk, energy expended today, how long each slept for tonight!

A pity it had to stop, but if two players are SO evenly matched, what do you do?

Swedish Meatball

Yeah I agree that it should be on centre court for the finale, and obviously it is in the interest of the masses now. Are the schedulers worried they could block out another day?

Sorry mate, I still can't see it. They're two players who are well matches and have pulled off incredible feats of endurance and concentration, with obvious skill. Those are the ingredients it has towards a classic sporting contest.

The rest isn't there. It will be remembered for the score, not the play.

I'm glad you're enjoying it and that so many other people are, by the way. I'm not down on tennis, I like it a lot, but this hasn't gripped me.

I'm sure that the match has been an amazing feat of mental and physical endurance. That is not in doubt.

But entertaining?

A 6-6 set that goes all to serve then is won on tie-break is usually fairly dull to watch (yes I am aware there exceptions, but by and large, it will be dull) so I can't imagine what watching a 120 game set must be like.

Wasn't there some football on today?

I got a text about this game and we flicked between channels to keep up.

Apologies to all those i rang last night, but I was very..... very ...... drunk.

#FindElaine

no mate appreciated the call - got the Southbank to put it on one of their screens. We ended up with a bit of a crowd round the TV and other people were soon on their phones doing the same as you

Please donate to my #MPCC14 JustGiving page @ Justgiving.com/FindElaine

Rice IV

I realy enjoyed yesterday. England match followed by standing at the bar with Tennis on one screen, Germany on another, and Australia on the other. Was a sports orgy.

Talk to me, Goose.

#FindElaine

About to restart on BBC1.

60-60

65-65!

This is ridiculous lol

It's absolutely mental.

lol 67-67 another 40-love game. This is ridiculous.

I hope it goes on forever. Interesting looking court though - I've never seen that one before; the architecture is more interesting than the play! lol