Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calderwood's nine lives...

Default Calderwood's nine lives...

I just wondered what the feeling was towards Calderwood now we are a few games into the season. I for one was a little two faced in that after the Bournemouth game last season, I thought there was no way he could continue as manager. Having said that he did steer us to promotion (be it lucky or not) and after previous managers his signings have been very astute. I cant think of a bad one yet, apart from James Henry who was a loanee anyway. For me he has a clean start from this season and from what he has done so far im pretty pleased, especially with the style we seem to be playing, and his comments from Wedneaday night that promotion is on the minds of club.

Reading various forums there still seems to be alot of folks who want him out.

Thoughts?

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Calderwood's nine lives...

a good start - we seem to be passin the ball around which is good - rather see that than the long ball stuff and negative tactics he's used in the past

agree - some good signings - we'll have to play football tho with earnie up front - looks a great signing

I like him. *I think, or hope rather, if we get a midtable position at the end of this season, or even finish in the lower people aren't calling for a change, because I think this club needs to continue building and getting better and Calderwood is helping us to do that and is a part of that himself as a fairly new and inexperienced manager.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfdog
    I just wondered what the feeling was towards Calderwood now we are a few games into the season.* I for one was a little two faced in that after the Bournemouth game last season, I thought there was no way he could continue as manager.* Having said that he did steer us to promotion (be it lucky or not) and after previous managers his signings have been very astute.* I cant think of a bad one yet, apart from James Henry who was a loanee anyway.* For me he has a clean start from this season and from what he has done so far im pretty pleased, especially with the style we seem to be playing, and his comments from Wedneaday night that promotion is on the minds of club.

Thoughts?
    Even though we got promoted, in the two dire seasons in League 1 under Calderwood, the levels of ineptitude he displayed was frightening.
    His tactical naivety and obliviousness to seemingly everything around him were a real concern.

However, that is the past and is not worth dwelling on to any great degree when looking at Calderwood.
    We look a different side this season (except in 45 minutes at Swansea) and we seem to be playing with a new found confidence, perhaps due to our being promoted or perhaps due to Calderwoods consistent shrewdness in the transfer market, an area where I think he has always excelled. *

I have been a very vocal criticiser of Calderwood, and I am still not convinced he is the man to really take this club forward, but he is goin a long way in establishing a good name for himself, getting the team playing good football (we were better than Watford!) in a confident, sometimes attacking manner.

This season is a big test for Calderwood, not only in proving the moaners wrong, but probably also proving to himself and the powers-that-be that they were right to stick with him.
    So far, he's going a long way in proving me (one of the moaners) wrong. *Long may it continue. *

I like him, i wouldnt want to see him sacked. His signings have all be good, out of our first team nowadays he has signed; Smith, Chambers, Wilson, Cohen, McCleary, Anderson, Davies, Garner, Martin, Cole, Moussi and brought McGugan, Thornhill through. I felt hypocritical as i was calling for his head at both Bournemouth and Doncaster away last season but i was just going with the majority, i think he will do a good job and have many more years left with us.

Calderwoods; Red & White Army!

Quote Originally Posted by Spring Heeled Jack
    Even though we got promoted, in the two dire seasons in League 1 under Calderwood, the levels of ineptitude he displayed was frightening.
    His tactical naivety and obliviousness to seemingly everything around him were a real concern.

However, that is the past and is not worth dwelling on to any great degree when looking at Calderwood.
    We look a different side this season (except in 45 minutes at Swansea) and we seem to be playing with a new found confidence, perhaps due to our being promoted or perhaps due to Calderwoods consistent shrewdness in the transfer market, an area where I think he has always excelled. *

I have been a very vocal criticiser of Calderwood, and I am still not convinced he is the man to really take this club forward, but he is goin a long way in establishing a good name for himself, getting the team playing good football (we were better than Watford!) in a confident, sometimes attacking manner.

This season is a big test for Calderwood, not only in proving the moaners wrong, but probably also proving to himself and the powers-that-be that they were right to stick with him.
    So far, he's going a long way in proving me (one of the moaners) wrong. *Long may it continue. *
    well said chris or has belle hacked your account?

Quote Originally Posted by Utrinque Paratus
    well said chris or has belle hacked your account?

Nah, it's me, SHJ.

I too thought his tactics were dumbfounding last year. *Bournemouth away saw pretty much every player played out of position and we just looked awful. *But maybe it was just the league and in the championship we could flourish against teams who will give us a bit more space. *But for me, its a clean start and I think this season is a very big test for him, especially considering he only has 12 months left on a contract.

Nah, it's me, SHJ.
    its actaully a nice change to see you being positive about forest before i met you i didnt like you simply due to your negativeness when i met you you were a nice lad now i think i want you to be my bitch and carry my children!

Quote Originally Posted by Utrinque Paratus
    its actaully a nice change to see you being positive about forest before i met you i didnt like you simply due to your negativeness when i met you you were a nice lad now i think i want you to be my bitch and carry my children!
    It would be my honour sir!

Rice IV

Much like SHJ, last season, I had no faith in Calderwood.

It seemed like we were attempting to win games by scoring one goal. If the opposition scored 2 we'd lose, if they scored 1, we'd draw and if they didn't score we'd win.

Scarily, we never seemed able to veer from that plan.

This season we seem to have a different team. The football is nice, it is attacking and it is joyous to watch. Every area on the pitch is strong, and Calderwood is now seeming to make attacking substitutions.

The pace of the game is a lot faster this season, and Calderwood has provided us the tools to compete.

I think he had a long term plan, but didn't tell us. He built from the back, which is why it wasn't exciting to watch last season.

It is, however, paying dividends this year. Our team is defensivley confident, we're used to not conceding/not conceding many, which I think is an important mind set to have this year.

At the minute, and I never though I'd say this, but I think Calderwood is the man to take us to the Premiership.

I do reserve the right to change that opinion on a whim, though. I am a Forest supporter, after all!

Talk to me, Goose.

Quote Originally Posted by richjcrouch
    Much like SHJ, last season, I had no faith in Calderwood.

It seemed like we were attempting to win games by scoring one goal. If the opposition scored 2 we'd lose, if they scored 1, we'd draw and if they didn't score we'd win.

Scarily, we never seemed able to veer from that plan.

This season we seem to have a different team. The football is nice, it is attacking and it is joyous to watch. Every area on the pitch is strong, and Calderwood is now seeming to make attacking substitutions.

The pace of the game is a lot faster this season, and Calderwood has provided us the tools to compete.

I think he had a long term plan, but didn't tell us. He built from the back, which is why it wasn't exciting to watch last season.

It is, however, paying dividends this year. Our team is defensivley confident, we're used to not conceding/not conceding many, which I think is an important mind set to have this year.

At the minute, and I never though I'd say this, but I think Calderwood is the man to take us to the Premiership.

I do reserve the right to change that opinion on a whim, though. I am a Forest supporter, after all!
    no your fucking not glen is the only real fan/supporter

What has shocked me about this year is the way we play in an attacking manager and then the fact that our ambitions for this year are very high.

It impresses me that Calderwood can look at his actions and pick out what he has done right and wrong and change it. A lot of managers get on their high horse and believe their tactics are right and their tactics work, even when they are failing.

Admittedly on one or two occassions I questioned his managerial ability but it seems pretty simple to realise he can't be doing a lot wrong when Megson can only get a similar squad to now and reach 3 points off relegation after half a season.

His record impresses me, his interviews impresses and I think under his managment the club has a very good future. I can't see many other managers getting us into the premiership aside from him.

Ale ape.

I couldn't have put it any better than Springy. He's corrected all the 'wrongs' so far.

I just wondered what the feeling was towards Calderwood now we are a few games into the season.* I for one was a little two faced in that after the Bournemouth game last season, I thought there was no way he could continue as manager.* Having said that he did steer us to promotion (be it lucky or not) and after previous managers his signings have been very astute.* I cant think of a bad one yet, apart from James Henry who was a loanee anyway.* For me he has a clean start from this season and from what he has done so far im pretty pleased, especially with the style we seem to be playing, and his comments from Wedneaday night that promotion is on the minds of club.

Thoughts?
    There will always be folks who still want him out , that will never change. Some people are stubborn that way.

While majority of CC's transfer have been astute , some of them didn't turned out that great *- Lockwood & lennon. Lockwood though did helped to kickstart bennett's season around last year. Lennon was dissapointing , was hoping that he'll bring his leadership qualities to bear but his legs are gone and with his personal problems , didn't turned out as good as one had envisioned.

winnits

Thoughts?
    You echo my thoughts really. I fully support him at the moment.

I feel like I've supported Calderwood the whole way through his tenure at Forest so far, had we failed to go up last season it may be different. After the Yeovil play-off game I was more than happy for him to stay on although it may have been for a want of a bit of continuity than his brilliance.

I'm enjoying us having the same manager for more than 8 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokell
    I feel like I've supported Calderwood the whole way through his tenure at Forest so far, had we failed to go up last season it may be different. After the Yeovil play-off game I was more than happy for him to stay on although it may have been for a want of a bit of continuity than his brilliance.

I'm enjoying us having the same manager for more than 8 seconds.
    I agree with all of that, although he should have been sacked had we not gone up last year.

I rememebr when were were in the Championship before that Forest seemed to be rarely highly thought off, and it seemed even the media were out to crucify us at all times, but the thing that impressess me about CC is his conduct. *

He seems to respect the game and certainly comes across as someone who would never indulge in a bung or something. *But his conduct in interviews impresses me, he only critices the refs when it is deserved, demands more from his players and seems to have alot of respect within the game, so much so, that the media seem to be in love with us at the minute. *I remember Kamara slating us the season the blades beat us, but he seems to think were great now. *

But unlike Colin W*nker and to a certain extent Jewell, we seem to have a manager who his a good ambassador for the club. *I just hope his tactics develop to compliment his other skillset which after the last 2 season must. *But 2 promotions and 4 finishes in the top 6 in 4 seasons isnt a bad record.

I too am in full support of him at the moment. He seems to be getting things right and his tactics (at home at least) seem to be working

Last Saturday we saw how his 4-3-3 actually works with Martin showing his class. I think that he still has a lot to learn - but he's young and will learn.

I'm glad to see him bollocking the players from the touchline too ... he certainly shows more passion than Megson and Kinnear did. He's always wanting more and his interviews with the media are much better than previous bosses. He's respectable and knows what its about. He doesn't want a big squad, he's good a much better bunch of lads now than before and I think that it won't be long before we can push for the prem, not this season mind.

He's always excelled well in the transfer market and I really believe that with a few of our attacking players back we could be a force going forward. I think that once we've settled, we might have a good away record this year as we could punish teams with our stong attack. It will be important too, because teams will eventually learn that you can't get away with playing us at football at the CG ...

So well done Colin, a good start ... lets keep it up

I've always thought that knee jerk sacking of manager after manager was a bad thing and that football teams take time to build.
    Last season when it looked like all was lost I wobbled a little and would have voted for someone new given the chance.
    Fortunately they showed more faith in the boardroom.

People often cite the example of Alex Ferguson, he was very close to getting the boot at Man u but they stuck by him and they've more or less dominated English football since.
    I'm not suggesting that Calderwood is going to do the same at Forest but stabilty is always going to be a good thing.
    Players will have more confidence that the man at the top is not going to change half way through the season and a new broom is not going to sweep them out.

I'm pretty pleased with the progress we're making a the minute, the football on wednesday was great and I thought we were the better footballers for the majority of the match.
    Last season we were in the third div and now we are holding our own against teams from the top flight that have spent a lot of money.
    It's positive and it's got to be down to Calderwood and the board so fair play to them.

I feel he is the right guy at this time and it is nice to finally feel some stability around the club. Its a pleasure to see and hear the more positive attitudes around the team and I think that CC has bought pretty shrewdly as well as bringing through the younger players.

I think he is learning all the time and privately would probably admit some selection howlers. However even the great Cloughie got it wrong occasionally. I am unsure if I see him as a premiership manager but I would also be very suprised if we reached the Prem within the next couple of years. If we did it would be too early I think and I would hate us to be another Direby and become a laughing stock. We have a wealth of young talent still to learn its trade and when they have matured we will be very strong.

Obviously if we arrived in the Prem 'early' I would be delighted but we would need considerable investment in the team.

For now though it is just a good time to be a Forest fan and that's good enough.For now.

Large Member

No-one is perfect and I think that the board have realised that stability is sometimes as important as having the best that money can buy. Colin is young, ambitious and has shown great ability to sign the right players for the club. He is still learning, but currently the side is playing good, attractive football and I am really happy with him.

Low point: At home to Yeovil

High point: At home to Yeovil

I've always liked him and always supported him. Not once have I ever suggested that he should be out on his ear. Last season people asked me on waht basis did I have faith that he was the man for the job, and my answer was always the same.

Two reasons:

1) I think the Forest job was amongst the hardest jobs in British football management when he came in. *

2) (And most importantly from my point of view) He was always disarmingly honest. When he took the job, he said he had to get promoted. When he failed he said "it's my fault." Contrast this attitude with the numerous excuses offered by his predecessors (poison in the dressing room, no money for transfers etc etc). I've always liked that about him. He impresses me everytime I hear him interviewed and I think now the reality is starting to match the rhetoric.

It took him the best part of two seasons, but he's brought the feel good factor back to the club and I don't think he's even close to being finished. I have no doubt he'll lead us back into the Premiership eventually and I actually believe that, one day, he'll be regarded as second only to the great man in terms of Forest managers. I think his spell at the City Ground will be both long and successful. He's young ambitious and improving. He clearly has an eye for a player and I believe one day he will be a true idol of the Forest faithful.

Samuel

I like CC at the moment, I must admit, I was one of them who wanted CC out last season.

But I think some credit has to be shown to Nigel Doughty for this (please don't kill me!), he stuck by CC after the Yeovil play-off, and has since put the money on the table for CC/Pleat to go out, research, learn and spend.