Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: Labour could rule on ownership

Default Labour could rule on ownership

I've no time for Labour, or the Guardian who are the source Sky Sports are quoting, but this is interesting ...

Labour is considering giving football fans first refusal on the purchase of shares in their clubs when they are put up for sale, it has been reported.
    Clubs could even be required to hand over stakes of up to 25% to supporters' groups, the Guardian claimed.
    The move is apparently set to be included in Labour's general election manifesto as part of an attempt to increase the influence of supporters in football clubs.
    It comes amid increasing concern about the degree of foreign ownership of teams and the perceived low levels of commitment from shareholders with little affinity with the clubs.
    The Guardian reported that Downing Street was involved in the plans, which include introducing a window during which fans would have time to gather the support and resources for a takeover of clubs that were put up for sale.
    The Conservatives have dismissed the proposals as a 'gimmick' ahead of the general election, which is expected to be on 6th May.
    Shadow sports minister Hugh Robertson said there were easier ways of increasing supporter influence in clubs such as by insisting on all clubs having at least one director to represent supporters.
    Robertson said: "After 13 years of inactivity by the Government on this issue this has all the hallmarks of a pre-election gimmick. There are massive, massive implications for company law and insolvency law."
    The Government is also said to be looking at an overhaul of the governance of football.
    I thought "gimmick" before I got to the part where the Tories called it that, so even they get something right here too!

At least somebody somewhere is doing something about the mad state of football at the moment, even if they're just doing it to win votes, some good can still come of it I suppose.

Edit: Link - http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...061173,00.html

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Labour could rule on ownership

As long as they define which fans they mean, i.e. supporters groups, since for Man Utd and the like it could include some rich bloke from Iran whose been a die-hard fan since he saw them on tv in 2008.

Besides football needs more regulation, perhaps some sort of premiership cap on % income spent by clubs on wages. Although wouldn't be surprised to see pigs open an airline first.
    Hopefully the FA will sort itself out too....

Here, there & anywhere that will have me..

Hmmm.

Football clubs owned by supporters trusts?

Why didn't someone think of that before? It sounds like a plan that could never fail.

It's not as if true supporters would agree to sell their club to some faceless Swiss based Saudi consortium or anything....

The beast is stirring yet again!! :devil:

it has nothing to do with football or NFFC

Monk De Wally De Honk

Isn't Barcalona owned by the supporters?

I will guarantee that if a wealthy business consortium or foreign oligarch wanted a club the rules would be bent to ensure it happened, rather than the fans getting ownership.

Cab for hire anyone?

Resident foodie!

I think it's an interesting idea and one that could work, but it needs to be thought about in depth and have a serious set of guidelines applied.

realise i can be a labour fanboy, but people need to show they're keen for this. being cynical and calling it gimmicky suggests you don't want it to happen. i really want this to happen.

Banned

Thinks......just how much interference on the day to day running of the club a group holding 25% of the shares could create.

Example....what % of Forest fans think that appointing Davies was a good idea when he became Manager, how would that translate into support at Shareholder level.

25% of shares would demand a fairly big voice, On how many Issues ?, who would ensure that the representatives spoke for all the fans and just not their own ego to polish..............disaster written all over it.

winnits

I wouldn't trust a committee of our fans to run the club, to be honest!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Winnits View Post
    I wouldn't trust a committee of our fans to run the club, to be honest!!
    To widen that a little, I presume you don't think we all sing from the same song sheet on the forum

oopsy daisy!

It's a good idea. No football fan would really argue whole heartedly against it.
    As such, it's a great vote winner.
    Being cynical, that's about as far as it will go.

Of course. If this could be applied to even privately owned football clubs (like Chelsea and Forest) could the same principle not be applied to other organisations? I for one wouldn't mind the Government giving me a 25% stake in Shell.....

winnits

Quote Originally Posted by sedgred View Post
    To widen that a little, I presume you don't think we all sing from the same song sheet on the forum
    We rarely have an accord on one forum - couple that with the relationship (or lack thereof) with other forums, basically I conclude that Forest fans - as a collective - are a disagreeable, divisive bunch of people who would bring about an unmitigated disaster if ever put in a position of influence.

The infighting, the backstabbing and the bullshit would be obscene.. indeed, I experienced elements of that in the Supporters Club networks too before the internet really kicked in.

People moan about the transfer panel/committee - which comprises about five dudes... if a collective of fans represented by, hmm, a panel of people - who would need to canvas votes from other fans... how long would stuff take to happen then?

It would be a nightmare.

i don't think that is what is being proposed. look for the guardian article, that explains it all a lot better.