Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 732 of 792 FirstFirst ... 232632682722730731732733734742782 ... LastLast
Results 18,276 to 18,300 of 19790

Thread: THE RANT THREAD

  1. #18276
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    79,469

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    Control.

    A simple power cut could turn society into a panicked mess.
    That’s why you have backup systems, and backups for the backups.

    And then more backups.

    „I believe in socialism because it seems more humanitarian, rather than every man for himself and 'I'm alright jack' and all those arsehole businessmen with all the loot. I made up my mind from viewing society from that angle. That's where I'm from and there's where I've made my decisions from. That's why I believe in socialism“

    — Joe Strummer

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #18277
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In a tophat.
    Posts
    13,853

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    That’s why you have backup systems, and backups for the backups.

    And then more backups.
    Can you have redundancy for a National Power Infrastructure?

    You can have it for some nodes on the network for essential maintenance, e.g. hospitals have approx 8 hours generation capacity for essential power needs. Even some mobile phone cells have emergency power, but these are the part of the network that gets reassigned to the emergency services.

    This is barely true out in the 'real economy'. The critical parts of any e-payment system - cards, apps, etc - would not be available.

    doyen of boomer energy

  4. #18278
    Senior Doom Monger
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Vale of Belvoir
    Posts
    18,360

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    That’s why you have backup systems, and backups for the backups.

    And then more backups.
    Why can't the bloody systems just be reliable?
    In the businesses I worked in over the years, only one department was immune to the price of failure: the IT Dept.


  5. #18279
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In a tophat.
    Posts
    13,853

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    Why can't the bloody systems just be reliable?
    In the businesses I worked in over the years, only one department was immune to the price of failure: the IT Dept.

    Weren't you an accountant Cap'n?

    The reason IT is immune is marginal costs are lower than the equivalent direct labour, even when it's failures are factored in.


  6. #18280
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    79,469

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    Why can't the bloody systems just be reliable?
    In the businesses I worked in over the years, only one department was immune to the price of failure: the IT Dept.
    This.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    Weren't you an accountant Cap'n?

    The reason IT is immune is marginal costs are lower than the equivalent direct labour, even when it's failures are factored in.
    And this.

    We spend a mind-boggling sum of money of redundant multiple power-supplies for our data centers and communications equipment. As well as redundant mains power, there are backup diesel generators too.

    We’re just building up (as a test project) a 5G mobile network, and the amount of backup power the Masts and cell towers have is crazy. Each has a second, redundant AC power connection plus a localised UPS battery backup, which can run it for up to ten hours.


  7. #18281
    Senior Doom Monger
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Vale of Belvoir
    Posts
    18,360

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    Weren't you an accountant Cap'n?

    The reason IT is immune is marginal costs are lower than the equivalent direct labour, even when it's failures are factored in.
    I was... the marginal costs argument may well be true, but like the iceberg, the fixed costs are 90% of the total mass.


  8. #18282
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,117

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    Bastard traffic, took me 3 hours to get to Sutton twatting Coldfield this morning, 45 mins late for a meeting I’d arranged & was supposed to be chairing

    I’m fucking knackered, I need some time off


  9. #18283
    Menior Sember
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Dystopian Future
    Posts
    24,848

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    Snapped my bloody HDMI cable! No RDR2 for Harvey this evening


  10. #18284
    Senior Curmudgeon
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    31,201

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Snapped my bloody HDMI cable! No RDR2 for Harvey this evening
    There you go pal.


  11. #18285
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    24,498

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    Could be worse, you could be in the kitchen and hear a bang, bang, bang... run in the lounge to find your 2 year old “fixing the tv”.

    Though it did work perfectly well, it’s 7 years old so I have an excuse to get a new one but I’m not a fan of surprise expenses.


  12. #18286
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,117

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    Quote Originally Posted by adam09 View Post
    Could be worse, you could be in the kitchen and hear a bang, bang, bang... run in the lounge to find your 2 year old “fixing the tv”.

    Though it did work perfectly well, it’s 7 years old so I have an excuse to get a new one but I’m not a fan of surprise expenses.
    Try your luck with your house insurance


  13. #18287
    Senior Curmudgeon
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    31,201

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Yates View Post
    Try your luck with your house insurance
    Take it out of his pocket money.


  14. #18288
    Warp Speed Chic
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    8,183

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    Send him dahn t'pit


  15. #18289
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Fterno, Lefkada
    Posts
    8,920

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    What sort of message does sentences like this send out. If I was that girls father I'd be livid.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...shire-48690595

    Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


  16. #18290
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    79,469

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    Quote Originally Posted by Lefkasman View Post
    What sort of message does sentences like this send out. If I was that girls father I'd be livid.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...shire-48690595

    Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
    Pathetic isn’t it?

    And folk wonder why there is such a surge of anti-Social behaviour in the UK.


  17. #18291
    Red til I'm dead
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,726

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    Quote Originally Posted by Lefkasman View Post
    What sort of message does sentences like this send out. If I was that girls father I'd be livid.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...shire-48690595

    Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
    If anyone did that to my kids I’d just kill them and do the time


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  18. #18292
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    23,945

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    Quote Originally Posted by Lefkasman View Post
    What sort of message does sentences like this send out. If I was that girls father I'd be livid.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...shire-48690595

    Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
    Everything about the article is depressing.

    The fact the gang filmed it on their phones whilst laughing makes you wonder how much protection to society CCTV actually offers.


  19. #18293
    Forum Tactician
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    B C UPPER
    Posts
    14,913

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    Quote Originally Posted by RealRed85 View Post
    If anyone did that to my kids I’d just kill them and do the time
    Seems to be worse with girls these days, my girls best mate got hospitalised having taken a random kicking a few years back. She still aint allowed out much by all accounts.

    I dont get told much in our house because they know what I'll do, but if I get wind of one of mine getting owt, I'll be round to visit the father.


  20. #18294
    Menior Sember
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Dystopian Future
    Posts
    24,848

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    Muslim friend of mine at work has organised an Eid celebration for today with food, games, lots of other stuff, including a raffle. Spent ages planning it, preparing food etc. Now someone is complaining about there being a raffle because they are also Muslim and it's against his religion, threatening to go to HR.

    Just no pleasing some people is there.


  21. #18295
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Fterno, Lefkada
    Posts
    8,920

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Muslim friend of mine at work has organised an Eid celebration for today with food, games, lots of other stuff, including a raffle. Spent ages planning it, preparing food etc. Now someone is complaining about there being a raffle because they are also Muslim and it's against his religion, threatening to go to HR.

    Just no pleasing some people is there.
    Gerrus a ticket before they stop selling them. More chance of me winning summat if there's less folk in with a shout.

    Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


  22. #18296
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,935

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    Had a water meter put in yesterday. I work from home and can watch them diging up the path outside house from 'office' window. Suddenly the broadband goes off, home phone too. I go outside, they already know what I'm gonna say.

    I their defense the line they had knocked off was a previous BT fix consisting of holding the 2 wires together, wrapping it in a complete roll of masking tape and burying it. They didn't bank on someone digging it back up again though.

    To top it off, they insisted that they had to fill the hole in again and tarmac after putting the meter in. Not leave the hole open for when BT come out sometime today to fix. So that'll get dug up again, a right mess.


  23. #18297
    It's all about mid-table...
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wetherspoons
    Posts
    16,673

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Pathetic isn’t it?

    And folk wonder why there is such a surge of anti-Social behaviour in the UK.
    Gelz ah woss than lads. No decent father figure is the scourge of the nation.


  24. #18298
    Red til I'm dead
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,726

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    Seems to be worse with girls these days, my girls best mate got hospitalised having taken a random kicking a few years back. She still aint allowed out much by all accounts.

    I dont get told much in our house because they know what I'll do, but if I get wind of one of mine getting owt, I'll be round to visit the father.
    You’d do well to find the father with most of these oxygen thieves.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  25. #18299
    Red til I'm dead
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,726

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    Everything about the article is depressing.

    The fact the gang filmed it on their phones whilst laughing makes you wonder how much protection to society CCTV actually offers.
    What’s most depressing is that the judge spared them custody to “avoid criminalising them unnecessarily”.

    First of all, “unnecessarily”? Really? You don’t think it’s necessary to criminalise criminals acting in a criminal way, whilst filming it and laughing? What about the next time these criminals commit a disgusting crime? Can you criminalise them then? What would you think if you were the parent of this poor girl and you heard that? The only unnecessary part of this sorry story is the assault.

    And second of all, they’re old enough to do this but get away with the consequences because of their age? Ridiculous. They’re old enough to vote, to drink, to fight in the armed forces, to drive, to buy a house but not old enough to take responsibility for their actions? Bollocks.

    Probably some left-wing guardian-reading nonce of a judge who thinks everyone deserves a second, third and fourth chance. Never grown up with this sort of scum, so he doesn’t know they are pondlife and always will be.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  26. #18300
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shakey Wakey/Leeds Border
    Posts
    16,907

    Default Re: THE RANT THREAD

    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Muslim friend of mine at work has organised an Eid celebration for today with food, games, lots of other stuff, including a raffle. Spent ages planning it, preparing food etc. Now someone is complaining about there being a raffle because they are also Muslim and it's against his religion, threatening to go to HR.

    Just no pleasing some people is there.
    Muslims are the most offended race I have ever known. Second only to Liverpudlians.

    Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •