Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default An Exclusive LTLF idea

But not to all the forums on the web because I'd be lying and making myself out to be some genuis when I'm clearly not .

An LTLF CD swap is the general idea,you know people burning their own CD's with a fair indactor of their musical taste and swapping it with another personalle,writing a review of the CD here upon listening.

There is many methods of sending and recieving files these days and many members on this forum meet up pre-match so there should'nt be obstacles in that regard.

Feedback appreciated and you can announce your interesting in participating in here if you wish

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

winnits

Default Re: An Exclusive LTLF idea

You could call it the LTLF 'Back to mine' scheme.

You get those compilations from high profile DJs or Artists called 'Back to Mine' which are basically mixtapes of the kind of music they feel represents them (aside from their own music, of course).

Good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Winnits
    You could call it the LTLF 'Back to mine' scheme.

You get those compilations from high profile DJs or Artists called 'Back to Mine' which are basically mixtapes of the kind of music they feel represents them (aside from their own music, of course).

Good idea!
    That would work well!Though they are a band,My Chemical Romance did something similar,though you can probably guess it weren't up to much

winnits

I've seen examples from bands, solo artists, etc

winnits

I think they probably would

You could get people to sign up and then do a 'draw' to have random pairings; that'd be pretty cool

Might be worth limiting to a certain number of tracks (say 15?).. maybe specify different artists per track to stop some poor sod getting an Opeth album from Chris...

Have I misunderstood this?

I list what CD's I have and people request copies?

Isn't that illegal? *

winnits

Quote Originally Posted by Tutts
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnits
    Yes.

I'd be up for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Tutts

I list what CD's I have and people request copies?

Isn't that illegal? *
    No you buy a box of blank CD's from your local Woolworths or whatever,you put tracks onto the CD generating your taste in music and you will only be giving it to one person only,the person of whom you will be doing the swap with.

And Al,thankfully my idea isn't let's swap our own personal CD's,so no one would be getting a copied Opeth CD off me

Pretty decent idea.

Though I'd be the most boring person to swap with as I'd just fill it with Stranglers/Cornwell stuff...not that it would be a bad thing musically (far from it)...it'd just be a tad predictable.

If im not mistaken, putting your fave songs onto a disc and sending them to someone else is illegal, as you dnt own the copyright to the songs, its different if you are in a band and write your own material and are willing to send them to people, pretty much like a demo cd, but to actually create a cdr of someones material and distribute it is against the law, pretty similar to P2P id think?

If this is what you wish to do then fair enough, but think of the consequences if you get caught.

I do download films, and music for myself and dont create discs for others frequently, however i have send DAN a cd that his daughter put down the drain, and i realise its wrong, but doing it regular could prove costly, although its a good idea ( and as the dragons den would say), I'm Out.

EDIT:
    Just to add, i understand the consequences of downloading films and suchlike, and what would happen if i got caught, but its my risk and i dont involve other people.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceman
    But it would perhaps introduce someone else to The Stranglers that may not have heard anything other than 'Golden Brown' before.
    That's the idea...I made my mate a Stranglers compilation CD and he was surprised how many songs he recognised yet had no clue the Stranglers did them "Peaches, Always the Sun, No More Heroes etc).

Having said that he never bothers listening to it anymore, there's no helping some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Von
    If im not mistaken, putting your fave songs onto a disc and sending them to someone else is illegal, as you dnt own the copyright to the songs, its different if you are in a band and write your own material and are willing to send them to people, pretty much like a demo cd, but to actually create a cdr of someones material and distribute it is against the law, pretty similar to P2P id think?

If this is what you wish to do then fair enough, but think of the consequences if you get caught.

I do download films, and music for myself and dont create discs for others frequently, however i have send DAN a cd that his daughter put down the drain, and i realise its wrong, but doing it regular could prove costly, although its a good idea ( and as the dragons den would say), I'm Out.
    As I said this has a been a feature on a couple of other forums I've been onto,and no disrespect intended much larger forums and there has been absolutely no issues there with CD Swapping and I very much doubt it would be an issue here.

winnits

It's only like a development on making mixtapes for friends.. not that young scamps on here will remember such a time

The only other way would be to link your fave tracks to people so they can download, that way you are only directing them to where they can be found, and not actually distributing them.

Dont get me wrong i think its a decent idea, but the risk of getting caught sways me away from the actual sending of discs.

winnits

PS Sorry to involve you in this Winnits I could have said Baronvon or anyone else but I just kind of chose you, you stalking maniac *:P
    I was feeling quite involved in the story!

The only other way would be to link your fave tracks to people so they can download, that way you are only directing them to where they can be found, and not actually distributing them.

Dont get me wrong i think its a decent idea, but the risk of getting caught sways me away from the actual sending of discs.
    There is also other methods remember,sending a CD package via post or exchanging in person which is very viable on this forum!

Is it not only illegal if you try to make money from the swap? If I download 15 songs from Napster which I have paid for and then burn them to disc and lend them to Winnits then I am sure I am still on the right side of the law, until Winnits hears the music and commits a henious crime and I get dragged into a filthy, no win legal fight resulting in either Winnits or I being incarcerated.

PS Sorry to involve you in this Winnits I could have said Baronvon or anyone else but I just kind of chose you, you stalking maniac *:P
    I dont know a great deal about that, but im pretty certain its illegal to distribute the said material, even if you paid for it to be downloaded off a site, is it ok to buy the cd from HMV or another store and then copy the disc, surely its the same thing isnt it?

Hey dont get me wrong, i like the idea, and am not disagreeing with it, im just highlighting a few concerns thats all

Also just to add...Winnits you own this site, if it can be read by anyone and they see that this sort of activity is being allowed and decide to grass you up, then they would close the site down or have it removed. you would need to create a thread that only registered members could access, and preferably with a front door key that you would have to enter the code into to gain access to said forum...would that be an option if you were gong to allow this, best to be safe than sorry as they say isnt it?

I dont know a great deal about that, but im pretty certain its illegal to distribute the said material, even if you paid for it to be downloaded off a site, is it ok to buy the cd from HMV or another store and then copy the disc, surely its the same thing isnt it?

Hey dont get me wrong, i like the idea, and am not disagreeing with it, im just highlighting a few concerns thats all
    I do think this is illegal, as basically limewire is illegal and that free downloads which is basically the same thing, the only benefit is it is almost untraceable in law.

It's technically illegal, but really no different to the olden days when young'uns would tape record off the radio (and try to stop it just before the DJ talked over it )

Some bands are against it, but an awful lot of bands, particularly new up and coming ones tend to encourage such practices, as its a way of getting there music out there to more people.

The arctic monkeys my well be one of the most famous examples... by the time there debut single/album came out, there were already huge on the basis that fans had passed round copies of there demos/put them on the internet etc.

Look at it this way, if someone sends me 15 tracks by different artists and theres one song on there that I really like, but hadn;t heard before, im going to then download a few more to see if I really like them, or whether it was just that one song... if I do like most of the stuff I hear, im likely to go out and buy there album/see there shows, something I may not have done if id not heard that original track.

Cajun Dance Party are one of my favorite bands.. a mate sent me one of there singles about 18 months ago. Ive since seen them live (and am seeing them again in a few weeks) and I also went out and brought there debut album the day it was released, all because of a hookey demo

winnits

We are fa-mi-leeee...

(That is likely to feature on Tutts' compilation anyway...)

So, if we all pretend to be brothers, uncles or even fathers 5depending on age) .then it is fine if we do not that 2 years hard labor with Winnits it is then.
    Bollox to that, i'm not becoming a Derby fan *

Found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixtape...ues_in_the_U.S.

Basically they are illegal, but i think if the music is 'inoffensive' it's ok. The meaning of Inoffensive is a tad obscure though as i can't see it meaning the dictionary definition of inoffensive. I interpret it to mean that it is done on a small scale and not a way of getting around paying for songs.

Quote Originally Posted by gamble
    Found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixtape...ues_in_the_U.S.

Basically they are illegal, but i think if the music is 'inoffensive' it's ok. The meaning of Inoffensive is a tad obscure though as i can't see it meaning the dictionary definition of inoffensive. I interpret it to mean that it is done on a small scale and not a way of getting around paying for songs.
    If the album/tracks are Copyright then you cannot copy or distribute them, its as simple as that...thats why they copyright the material.

Also a couple of years ago, (i think it was SONY) started to produce all there albums with a copy protection on them, im almost certain (off the top of my head) it was called CACTUS Copy Protection, this was embedded onto their discs to stop people ripping the discs to there pc to reburn them. However this didnt stop people creating programs to get around this problem, and they are out there in internet land.