Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOTTINGHAM

AKA Randy Bumgardener

Default NOTTINGHAM

Ok, as someone who hasn't lived in the city for years this grabbed my interest ! A film called 'Nottingham'. Looks interesting, and a different take on the Robin Hood Story !

Seeing as it's directed by Ridley Scott it certainly can't be dismissed as 'yet another robin hood film'.

Linky

It appears that Director Ridley Scott has begun to seriously ramp up pre-production on his next project, Nottingham. When word of this film hit the streets back in October of 2007, we were quick to realize that it has some serious potential, possibly rising above the so-so Kevin Costner vehicle Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves to bring us something more akin to a “Gladiator version of Robin Hood.” Back then there was one casting announcement to go along with the attachment of Scott to the film, in that Russell Crowe was signed on to play the Sheriff of Nottingham, a morally conflicted character, caught between a corrupt monarch and a criminal who has become an anarchist hero to the people. It was an interesting twist, somewhat removed from the diabolical nature of Alan Rickman’s sheriff, but interesting nonetheless.

Since then we have heard very little about the project, yet this past week has seen an explosion of news — some rumors and some truths — that have begun to bring the other denizens of Nottingham into focus. First was the announcement that Sienna Miller was in negotiations to play Maid Marion, a character who also has a different angle than in previous films — she sees the Sheriff as a “more noble lawman than as an evil king’s right-hand man and facing off with a more shadier Robin Hood in the Sherwood Forest.”

Later in the week the rumors began to really fly around the character of Robin Hood, as the production now seeks to find a hero to face off against the conflicted lawman to be played by Russell Crowe. The Daily Mail weighed in on Thursday, saying that The Dark Knight star Christian Bale is currently in talks for the role. The report stated that Ridley Scott is “exceedingly keen on casting him.” They also dropped a few more names into the Nottingham hat, claiming that Vanessa Redgrave, William Hurt and Atonement star Saoirse Ronan were also discussing roles.

Then a mere 3 days after the internet was flooded with “Bale to play Robin Hood” headlines, our friends at Latino Review threw a significant wrench into the situation, claiming that one of their more reliable sources has said that Control star Sam Riley was high on Russell Crowe’s list of co-stars.

Of course, while nothing is official this is all good for discussion. We have heard reports that the Christian Bale rumor is not true, but you never know — the fast and loose reporting around this production seems to be keeping the truth cloaked pretty well, so we are all just speculating at this point. What we know is that Crowe and Miller are in and that the production is actively seeking their Robin Hood. When we look at the two rumored participants for the role, I must say that either of them could work. Christian Bale is one of the few actors in Hollywood that could play just about any dramatic role. His immersion into his roles and dedication to the craft of acting makes him a great fit for the role. This is, of course, if Robin Hood is to be an absolute badass in the film, a very unwavering hero.

But should they be interested in a younger, more energetically irreverent version of Robin Hood, Sam Riley would be a great fit, as would be Paul Bettany. From what I gather about the tone of the film, is to be a dark, intense story of corruption, more along the lines of what Prince of Thieves was trying to do back in 1991. As I said before, think Gladiator meets Robin Hood.

And whether it is Bale, Riley or some other chap in the role of Robin Hood, I will say that Ridley Scott’s production is incredibly interesting and definitely headed in the right direction. I am trying to get my hands on the script though, because if there are no references to the Sheriff cutting out someone’s heart with a spoon, this movie is going down the toilet. Seriously.

What do you think of the casting of Nottingham? Would you rather see Christian Bale or Sam Riley in the role of Robin Hood?

Similar Threads:
    'The cross came in from Majewski, and Blackstock slid in, Gabriel Tamas attached to him in the manner in which a baby chimpanzee clings to its mother' Dexter Blackstock vs West Brom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: NOTTINGHAM

He can't make a worse job of Robin Hood than
    a. Kevin Costner
    b. Our latest mascot

It will never be as good as Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

AKA Randy Bumgardener

Quote Originally Posted by Stratty
    It will never be as good as Robin Hood: Men in Tights.
    Wasn't the the origonal story anyway

I like the idea of being from a different point of view ! I guess kind of like the dark night where the story is based much more on the joker.

If it's anything as iconic as Gladiator I'll be happy !!

To be honest i don't think Men In Tights followed the Robin Hood story at all, just a spoof of Prince of Thieves. Bloody funny film though.

AKA Randy Bumgardener

Quote Originally Posted by Stratty
    To be honest i don't think Men In Tights followed the Robin Hood story at all, just a spoof of Prince of Thieves. Bloody funny film though.
    WE'RE MEN, WE'RE MEN IN TIGHT tight TIGHTS''

Quote Originally Posted by Freiro Cornholio
    WE'RE MEN, WE'RE MEN IN TIGHT tight TIGHTS''*

"Unlike other Robin Hoods, I speak with an English accent"

Sienna Miller-lite!!!!!!!! Er no thanks. Rubbish actress.

Why not Paddy Constintine to play Robin Hood. The guy is from Nottingham and is one hell of an actor.

Victor Meldrew

Sounds good.
    Ridley Scott is an awesome Director; an auteur.

winnits

This movie casts the Sheriff as a 'good guy' doesn't it?

yam

Quote Originally Posted by FBS
    Sienna Miller-lite!!!!!!!! Er no thanks. Rubbish actress.

Why not Paddy Constintine to play Robin Hood. The guy is from Nottingham and is one hell of an actor.
    Paddy Considine was born in Burton on Trent. Still is a good actor either way.

http://www.paddyconsidine.co.uk/biography.htm

As long as in this film they realise that

You can't walk from Dover to Nottingham in half a day
    Hadrians wall does not run within a hundred miles of nottingham
    Nottinghamshire is not renowned for its waterfalls
    People from Nottingham don't say "Gawd bless ya Robbin 'ood" in loud cock-er-ney accents
    Nottingham Castle stands on a hill and isn't Alnwick Castle in Northumbria (which is what usually gets used).

they'll do better than Costner

Should be an interesting film by the sound of it. I like the idea of Bale playing the lead, he's usually been excellent (he even acted well in Reign of Fire which was shit) although Riley was solid in Control.

winnits

It was quite funny watching Prince of Thieves in Nottingham, when the vista opened up showing Nottingham Castle everyone burst out laughing.

In fairness, in Robin Hood's day Nottingham Castle was actually a castle, and was huge - but I suppose to us we all internalise the Duke of Newcastle's manor house that now stands upon the rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnits
    It was quite funny watching Prince of Thieves in Nottingham, when the vista opened up showing Nottingham Castle everyone burst out laughing.

In fairness, in Robin Hood's day Nottingham Castle was actually a castle, and was huge - but I suppose to us we all internalise the Duke of Newcastle's manor house that now stands upon the rock.
    It was one of the best fortified castles in the country with i believe five inner walls.

I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

Quote Originally Posted by alabamared
    It was one of the best fortified castles in the country with i believe five inner walls.

WAS being the key word.

Now it is basically an old grand house.

winnits

Yes, but a film about Robin Hood should represent what it was, what with it being based in the past and everything.

It is just a manor house now.

As long as Ridley gets the casting right (Which I think he will) then the film should be excellent.

AKA Randy Bumgardener

The story of the American GI's being posted to Nottingham for preparation of D-Day allways makes me laugh. They were based at Wollaton Hall. Apparently the first comment heard upon arrival was...............

''Gee, Nottingham Castle's incredible'' haha

It would be nice to actually film the movie in the City but no doubt the green shots will be in Ireland or New Zealand as seems to be the trend.

The set for Prince of Thieves used to be on show in Worksop. I went to see it once but I think it's gone now !

Surely this is the sort of thing the council seem to insist on failing on by continuing to ignore the city's tradition and playing on the legend. The few bits that are about are pathetic !

Robin Hood was a terrorist. We shouldn't be glorifying the actions of this criminal.

No wonder gun crime in our city is out of control, when this medieval Bin Laden is our most famous son.

Quote Originally Posted by Freiro Cornholio
    The story of the American GI's being posted to Nottingham for preparation of D-Day allways makes me laugh. They were based at Wollaton Hall. Apparently the first comment heard upon arrival was...............

''Gee, Nottingham Castle's incredible'' haha

It would be nice to actually film the movie in the City but no doubt the green shots will be in Ireland or New Zealand as seems to be the trend.

The set for Prince of Thieves used to be on show in Worksop. I went to see it once but I think it's gone now !

Surely this is the sort of thing the council seem to insist on failing on by continuing to ignore the city's tradition and playing on the legend. The few bits that are about are pathetic !
    Prince of Thieves actually used a French Castle. But think about it how would you film a major period piece around Nottingham?

Possibly the woodland work could be done but very little else.

Has a Robin Hood film or TV ever been filmed in Nottingham?

Quote Originally Posted by Only The Woan-ly
    Robin Hood was a terrorist. We shouldn't be glorifying the actions of this criminal.

No wonder gun crime in our city is out of control, when this medieval Bin Laden is our most famous son.*
    :P

winnits

No, you couldn't do it really; the architectural crimes visited upon our once fair city render it pretty non-compatible for that kind of thing.

Any 'city' type scenes would have to be pre-constructed sets, or perhaps somewhere like York which retains it's historical character wonderfully.

AKA Randy Bumgardener

Quote Originally Posted by alabamared
    Prince of Thieves actually used a French Castle. But think about it how would you film a major period piece around Nottingham?

Possibly the woodland work could be done but very little else.

Has a Robin Hood film or TV ever been filmed in Nottingham?
    I didn't explain properly. The set I meant was the woodland hideout. The tree houses and rope bridges. Including the huts of the people of Nottingham. Veyr impressive !

yam

Quote Originally Posted by Winnits

True but irrespective of its current configuration and architecture its always been on top of a lump of sandstone - unlike the movie versions which are normall on the flat and surrounded with a moat.

winnits

Depends on the extent of the slab though, I can't imagine it was much bigger in all directions, though... I guess without using CG (which might've been beyond them back then) there aren't that many locations that would've been comparable to what a Nottingham Castle of that era might've looked like..

...because of tyhis thread I have now downloaded Ribin Hood:Men in Tights (legally I might add before the government burst through the front door to have me executed).