Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tax Man Calling

Banned

Default Tax Man Calling

A recent report highlighted the astonishing fact that over half the clubs in the top four divisions are significantly behind in payments to the taxman, so much so that the Football League is discussing ways to combat this problem.

About 46 clubs, including some in the Premiership owe £15m in tax that should have been paid on players salaries including National Insurance. Some of the debts stretch back nearly two years, forcing Revenue and Customs to try and reach re-payment schemes. Arrears could force a club into administration.

So by not paying the dues and demands when they fall for payment are clubs gaining a financial advantage over those who pay on time, thus deserving of severe punishment. ?

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Tax Man Calling

i think like with all taxes, if they are not paid then the taxman needs to do something about it. if we dont pay our taxes we get punished and so it should be the same for football clubs. however i'm not sure how you would punish them,, would this be classed as a financial irregularity?

Just make them pay up that'd be a fair enough punishment, if they owe 4 million (allot but meh) then that could mean 1 or 2 less players signing this season and could be punishment enough

oopsy daisy!

Quote Originally Posted by sedgred
    A recent report highlighted the astonishing fact that over half the clubs in the top four divisions are significantly behind in payments to the taxman, so much so that the Football League is discussing ways to combat this problem.

About 46 clubs, including some in the Premiership owe £15m in tax that should have been paid on players salaries including National Insurance. Some of the debts stretch back nearly two years, forcing Revenue and Customs to try and reach re-payment schemes. Arrears could force a club into administration.

So by not paying the dues and demands when they fall for payment are clubs gaining a financial advantage over those who pay on time, thus deserving of severe punishment. ?
    I haver to pay my taxes on time. So do my employers.

Why should a football club be different. How much did Leeds get away with in the end?

Prosecute the directors and bar them from such a position again.

Victor Meldrew

I think Leeds should have to pay all my taxes for me for the rest of my life.

Living the dream

Quote Originally Posted by Erik

Why should a football club be different. How much did Leeds get away with in the end?

Yes, a football club is a business, like any other. Thye have employees and customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik

Quite right. If it's getting to the stage where repayment schemes are talked about then you have to wonder how much trouble these clubs are in. The sad thing is, HM Customs are one of the few organisations with the power to do anything about this - if these clubs owe money to them, how many also owe money to local businesses, St John's Ambulance etc, and stall on paying them?

Rice IV

I wonder if any clubs have thought about setting up 'feeder clubs' in the Cayman Islands.

Talk to me, Goose.

Quote Originally Posted by richjcrouch
    I wonder if any clubs have thought about setting up 'feeder clubs' in the Cayman Islands.
    I thought the ofshore door had been closed by Gordon, if you don't think it has let me know.

I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

Rice IV

Not really.

They stopped carousel fraud with the reverse VAT stuff, but Cayman is still a tax haven.

Tax Haven's are still exploitable, just ask Vodafone.

The US are more bothered about Cayman in particular, see here and here

This one particular phrase sums it up The UK may not be interested in tax havens, but the US certainly is.

It's important to remember that there is a big difference between an OFC and a Tax haven.

Offshore financial centres are not the same as tax havens. OFCs are the commercial communities hosted by tax havens which exploit the structures that can be created using the tax haven’s legislation for the benefit of those resident elsewhere.

Tax havens are places that create legislation designed to assist persons - real or legal - to avoid the regulatory obligations imposed upon them in the place where they undertake the substance of their economic transactions

If done properly, it is still perfectly feasible, and profitable to use a tax haven. Many very large companies have registered head offices in tax havens around the world. I've never once heard an Irish accent where I work!

Obviously it is a deeply grey and contested area of the law, let alone morality.

Sometimes companies struggle to keep up with the ever changing legislation and regulation of such things, much like Cadbury Schweppes did a few years ago.

In a nutshell, if you want to set up a company in the Cayman Islands, you can. It's not easy, and will cost you to get it done properly, so you'd need to have big money going through it to make it worthwhile, and ensure that you pay the reverse VAT you would owe. Grand Cayman still has no taxes and no enforced audits, though. It's out of the UK's jurisdiction to attempt to impose these things on them.

Rice IV

Before Dadford steps in, there has been one very high profile individual take advantage of the Swiss Tax haven in the last year.

Living the dream

Before Dadford steps in, there has been one very high profile individual take advantage of the Swiss Tax haven in the last year.
    The same individual that called England "home" on Sunday.

winnits

Boots' head office is now officially in Switzerland..

Rice IV

Quote Originally Posted by Dadford
    The same individual that called England "home" on Sunday.
    He also called Hockenheim a 'home race'.

Living the dream

He also called Hockenheim a 'home race'.
    More passports than Jason Bourne, a fraudster.

Rice IV

If you look at the quotes from any driver, each race brings the same 'this race is special', 'this feels like a home race', 'this is the race of the year' stuff.

They need to get as much air time as they can, whilst wearing the sponsored clothes to keep said sponsors happy.

Lewis Hamilton being interviewed and saying what a great race something is, or that it feels like a home race gets more tv time than someone like Andy 'I got no personality' Murray. That's the only reason they say these things.

Plus, whilst McLaren is a British team using Mercedes engines built and engineered in Nothampton, they do still carry the German makers badge and name, so it is a home race of sorts for McLaren in Germany.

Pre race spotlights were pretty firmly shone onto the 5 Germans in the field, so it was inevitable that Hamilton would have to make statements about the connection with Germany.

It's all money in the bank, wherever your bank may be.

At the end of the day, he is clearly English, the National Anthem and the Union Flag were raised after his victory, why should people be down on him? It's the first time in God knows how many years Britain has produced someone who is likely to be the greatest person ever to compete in a certain sport.

I'm not sure I can think of another British person who has competed at anything that has been 'the best there ever has been' at said sport. Hamilton could be in that category if he carries on the way he is going. Don't knock him, support him.

It's not a sport.

Rice IV

Of course it's a sport, fool.

In that case, I take part in a sport whenever I drive the car to the supermarket.

Rice IV

I think it's a lot more physicaly demanding than that.

I think it's a lot more physicaly demanding than that.
    I agree - I also have to push the trolley around a supermarket, unload into the car, then unload the car and put away in various cupboards or fridge.

I sometimes find taking a shit physically demanding. Does that make it a sport?

I'm not sure I can think of another British person who has competed at anything that has been 'the best there ever has been' at said sport. Hamilton could be in that category if he carries on the way he is going. Don't knock him, support him.
    Phil Taylor. He's the Tiger Woods of the tungsten arras.

Britain also leads the world in teenage pregnancies. I'm more proud of that than I am Lewis Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by Only The Woan-ly

Britain also leads the world in teenage pregnancies. I'm more proud of that than I am Lewis Hamilton.
    Is that an easy sport to participate in?