Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    AKA Randy Bumgardener
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    8,397

    Default Karadzic arrested !!

    The man who is widely reguarded as a modern day Hitler has been caught and arrested. The former Bosnian Serb President will face around 11 charges of war crimes and genocide

    Linky. I barely recognised his pic !!!

    Similar Threads:
    'The cross came in from Majewski, and Blackstock slid in, Gabriel Tamas attached to him in the manner in which a baby chimpanzee clings to its mother' Dexter Blackstock vs West Brom


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    17,613

    Default Re: Karadzic arrested !!

    Who will sit in his judgement...........................Blair ? Bush ? Mugabe ? Nato ?

    Depending on what side of the fence you are on, no better or worse than the leaders of the western powers who took the country to war in the Gulf and Afghanistan


  4. #3
    AKA Randy Bumgardener
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    8,397

    Default Re: Karadzic arrested !!

    Whatever the view, it will be interesting to see how this develops, probably in a similar vein to the Milosevic blueprint no doubt (if it had been completed).



  5. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    17,613

    Default Re: Karadzic arrested !!

    Question..............................

    what is the graver crime against humanity..................massacre of unarmed Muslims in Sarajevo
    Bombing then subsequent massacre of civilian population in Baghdad


  6. #5
    AKA Randy Bumgardener
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    8,397

    Default Re: Karadzic arrested !!

    Quote Originally Posted by sedgred
    Question..............................

    what is the graver crime against humanity..................massacre of unarmed Muslims in Sarajevo
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Bombing then subsequent massacre of civilian population in Baghdad
    You know I'm not going to comment on that Sedge. I have my opinions, as will your nephew, but there not for an internet forum !


  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    17,613

    Default Re: Karadzic arrested !!

    Not looking to start, both cases they end up dead.........................wondering what International Law says one is right, the other is wrong................yet our civilised world, will invite the great and the good to sit in judgement of him.

    But this is acceptable, because the massacre was just that a cold blooded act on behalf of the Serbs, yet the bombing of civilians was no less pre-meditated. But we must all sit up and applaud Mugabe for entering talks on power sharing, conveniently forgetting the thousands of murdered, beaten and disposed Zimbabweans. I wonder if he is responsible for more deaths than the Serbs ?
    As I said who sits in Judgement for these ?


  8. #7
    winnits
    Guest

    Default Re: Karadzic arrested !!

    History will judge them.

    Unfortunately history is written by the winners.


  9. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    17,613

    Default Re: Karadzic arrested !!

    Quote Originally Posted by Winnits
    History will judge them.

    Unfortunately history is written by the winners.
    On our way back to catch the ferry at Ouisterham ( Caen ) the other week, we called in at the new Pegasus Bridge Museum, a must if one is ever in the area. Eternal shame on you if do not know what I am talking about.

    Inside there was a young and very enthusiastic Englishman giving a lecture on the eastern flank. One of the points he raised about history written by the winner was the tiny number of defenders from the German garrison who actually made it into captivity, as a direct result of this action...........food for thought


  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Karadzic arrested !!

    Quote Originally Posted by sedgred
    Not looking to start, both cases they end up dead.........................wondering what International Law says one is right, the other is wrong................yet our civilised world, will invite the great and the good to sit in judgement of him.

    But this is acceptable, because the massacre was just that a cold blooded act on behalf of the Serbs, yet the bombing of civilians was no less pre-meditated. But we must all sit up and applaud Mugabe for entering talks on power sharing, conveniently forgetting the thousands of murdered, beaten and disposed Zimbabweans. I wonder if he is responsible for more deaths than the Serbs ?
    As I said who sits in Judgement for these ?
    In one case civilians were rounded up, executed & buried in order that their creed's influence in a region was put into decline. That was pre-meditated as the intention all along was to kill them.

    In the other case, civilians were killed because their leader parked hunking big chunks of military ordnance in built up areas rather than in the vast expanses outside the towns & cities. He put them there because he knew he would be defeated regardless of what he did & that it would make for bad headlines for the coalition governments whenever the inevitable happened & civilians were killed as collateral damage.

    Whatever the rights or wrongs are of the Iraqi invasion, it is plain that the intention was & is not to ethnically cleanse the region. If that were the intention then the whole of the Persian Gulf would have been made a cratered wasteland a long time ago.

    As for Zimbabwe, they had a perfectly well run & prosperous country. The indigenous people didn't like Imperialism & having food in their bellies so fought against it in order to run things for themselves. They got their wish & now they are reaping what was sewn.


  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7,454

    Default Re: Karadzic arrested !!

    Karadzic was little more than a town councillor who found himself in charge of a breakaway state.

    It's debateable how much involvement he actually had in the massacres at Srebrenica, though it's generally assumed that he had little to do with it. Mladic is the one they want, he's the monster.

    I feel that this is shaping up to be little more than a PR exercise for the self appointed "guardians of freedom."


  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    10,566

    Default Re: Karadzic arrested !!

    It's shaping up to be an exercise for Serbia to join the EU and help themselves to the handouts. Strange how the head of the security services was sacked last week, then this guy was found a couple of days later.


  13. #12
    Living the dream
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Fantasy Island
    Posts
    5,355

    Default Re: Karadzic arrested !!

    We will see who is the best at burying the dead.


  14. #13
    oopsy daisy!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    On a longship close by
    Posts
    15,401

    Default Re: Karadzic arrested !!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tango Man
    In the other case, civilians were killed because their leader parked hunking big chunks of military ordnance in built up areas rather than in the vast expanses outside the towns & cities.*
    Would these have been his 'weapons of mass destruction'?


  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Notts/Oxford
    Posts
    5,135

    Default Re: Karadzic arrested !!

    Fantastic. However there are more criminals yet to be found. When will Thom Karremans and Bernard Janvier be put on trial?


  16. #15
    Living the dream
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Fantasy Island
    Posts
    5,355

    Default Re: Karadzic arrested !!

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik
    Would these have been his 'weapons of mass destruction'?
    To the people he "ruled", yes.


  17. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Karadzic arrested !!

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik
    Would these have been his 'weapons of mass destruction'?
    Saddam shot himself in the foot on that issue. With hindsight we now know that he was messing the UN arms inspectors around simply to bluff the case that he still had the capability to produce WMDs.

    A lot of people conveniently forget that he had been a pain in the arse to the UN ever since the end of GW1. The reality was that he eventually pushed things too far at the wrong point in history & the UN did not have the balls to sanction his overthrow, hence why a few "rogue" countries did so.


  18. #17
    yam
    Guest

    Default Re: Karadzic arrested !!

    Quote Originally Posted by Only The Woan-ly
    Karadzic was little more than a town councillor who found himself in charge of a breakaway state.

    It's debateable how much involvement he actually had in the massacres at Srebrenica, though it's generally assumed that he had little to do with it. Mladic is the one they want, he's the monster.

    I feel that this is shaping up to be little more than a PR exercise for the self appointed "guardians of freedom."
    Does that reasoning not make Hitler innocent of the holocaust? He was the nazi leader and culpable in the same way that Karadzic was the serb leader and culpable for crime committed by his regime.


  19. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7,454

    Default Re: Karadzic arrested !!

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito
    Does that reasoning not make Hitler innocent of the holocaust?* He was the nazi leader and culpable in the same way that Karadzic was the serb leader and culpable for crime committed by his regime.
    Well, first and foremost, I wasn't seeking to excuse him.

    But no, it's not the same. Karadzic was a puppet, a local politician elevated to a seat of power to act as a mouthpiece for the military leaders that were really pulling the strings. He was complicit in the genocide, but not an arch-perpetrator. The US and EU really want Mladic, as he was the true monster, but he has continued to frustrate them.

    Thus, in his ongoing absence, the role that Karadzic played in the horror will be exaggerated so as to make it look like a more significant victory for the West. That was the point I was making.


  20. #19

    Default Re: Karadzic arrested !!

    Quote Originally Posted by sedgred
    Question..............................

    what is the graver crime against humanity..................massacre of unarmed Muslims in Sarajevo
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Bombing then subsequent massacre of civilian population in Baghdad
    How liberal of you. At least something good may possibly one day come of the Iraw situation.


  21. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    17,613

    Default Re: Karadzic arrested !!

    Quote Originally Posted by BennettGaidenSigma
    How liberal of you. At least something good may possibly one day come of the Iraw situation.
    One of the advatages of being a thick building trade operative, cannot understand the difference.............. someone somewhere gave the order in the full knowledge that it would cause massive civilian casualties, but one is right and one is wrong ?




  22. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Darkest Wiltshire
    Posts
    3,335

    Default Re: Karadzic arrested !!

    No, the point is that one knew that the outcome would be mass murder whilst the other was trying to avoid it.

    Obviously the Catholic Church struggles to tell the difference...

    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •