Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The fluid midfield

Default The fluid midfield

The other week I gave a honest opinion about the players who played at Lincoln. I was lambasted when I said Boetang was poor in that game and would be a good person to clean McGugans boots. Now after I have seen him provide two very inept performances against Leicester and West Ham when he as clearly been the worst player on the pitch...............don't let me say I told you.

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: The fluid midfield

Boasting (pun non intended) aside, I agree. Looking forward to a fully functioning Moussi who doesn't get injured...

.k I m
    I m u mm

Boateng was decent in both games, he certainly thwarted numerous Leicester attacks in midfield before they even started. He reads the game well, wins the ball in midfield a lot and looks to play it forward. He's a hell of a lot better than Greening. Shame we can't find a player like Boateng who is 10 years younger.

Spot on, together with a left back and putting round pegs in round holes.......thats sounds familiar......wonder where I've heard that before

Greening, is not and will never be a centre midfielder......see post above.....he's a square peg. And Boetang........shite and will never be any better

Bongatron must be amongst the highest earners at the club; I can't see McClaren dropping him.

senior

thats a big if in it with moussi no what you mean thou carnt get anyworse can it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Wilkinson View Post
    Greening, is not and will never be a centre midfielder......
    Eh? What do you think his best position is? Don't say left-mid...

TheDude

this ageing midfield

Quote Originally Posted by BrollyArdron View Post
    Left wing

TheDude

Nailed to a cross somewhere in the middle east

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Nailed to a cross somewhere in the middle east
    Better than my reply of left wing

Yeah with all that pace he's got

Quote Originally Posted by adam09 View Post
    Yeah with all that pace he's got
    The best left winger I have had the pleasure of seeing at the City Ground never had no pace

Left wing
    He'll need a leg transplant, then.

The best left winger I have had the pleasure of seeing at the City Ground never had no pace
    Yeah, 30 years ago. Greening's not a wide man. He needs to be one of a three man central midfield or on the bench.

Left wing
    And he's far better than anyone we have on the right wing.

If only we based election results on Forest's team....

TheDude

He needs to be replaced along with that tugboat

LB, Winger and a CB......and a striker who can finish.....although Miller looked useful today

Greening is someone who can sit and play balls about, you have McGugan and Majewski who will flood forward with the ball and do something special,

Greening on the other hand does the basics right, he would just sit there and spray balls around, im still indecisive as to whether he can hack it defensively so I can kinda understand why Boateng is there as well so yeah,

Back to square one

TheDude

Greening's short passes are awful. I can think of at least two goals he's cost us.

Bongatron must be amongst the highest earners at the club; I can't see McClaren dropping him.
    £4k a week

Boateng was one of our better players today

TheDude

I can't make my mind up on him

The problem is, as many have said previously, that the two old defensive midfielders together doesn't work. They sit side by side and sometimes deep, one has the ball, it's square to the other when either should instead have a Cohen, McGugan or Raddy tearing forward onto a forward pass, beating the opposition DMs, etc. When Greening/Boateng aren't sat too deep, our centre halves who only hoof it take the ball over their heads, it gets to a heavily marked Miller (time and time again yesterday) and pings back onto space because there's no forward mid there to challenge for it, and the opposition surge forward. If one of our two old boys does get to it, he can only go square as that's where his near option is under pressure. At best then, it goes wide and backwards to a full back. Or Cohen.

I don't think they are rubbish individually, but they certainly don't work well together. And should never, ever be played that way if we don't have ball playing central defenders, which we don't, unless Lascelles turns out to be one, or we sign one.

Last year though, we had the problem of old legs there or Moussi. If we'd had Moussi and a couple of McKennas we'd maybe have had enough cover for a vital role in the side, so I don't begrudge McClaren getting these two in. There's no more point in playing all our fit DMs together than there is playing all our strikers at once. Though having said that with Wes and Chamber's balls forward that might have worked yesterday!

One wonders if there aren't major fitness issues with some players tat are keeping these two in the side together, McClaren might be making the best of a bad selection choice. If he is, it's not enough unfortunately.

/edit One solution might be, when the two of them are there, to have Findley sit deep for the speculative balls out of defence and pick up whatever Miller and the opposition players send back in our direction as opposed to being wherever he was for most of those balls yesterday.

Last edited by goatboy; 29-08-11 at 09:11.