Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: dexters interview in the post today

Default dexters interview in the post today

do hope all the people slagging off our owners will read his comments. sorry hasn't got the link, but basically he signed up for the next four years because of the vision of the owners.

there are obviously lots of different views about January and the window, and maybe I'm not correct in everything,but

we have cleared out the exec in charge during the last ten shambolic years, and the head scout while we bought so much dross

we have taken Camp, Findley, and Maloney off the wage list, because either they don't want to be here, or they are not worth their place

they arranged long term loans, and hopefully, sales of players who should have never been her in the first place, Miller, MCGoldrich, Derbyshire, Tudgay, greening... how much money have we wasted there

they have signed up long term, Cohen, rady, and dexter

bought in five new players

wouldn't overpay for an ok player (Burke), and an average full back (ward)

maybe screwed up with Boyd, but obviously the medical advise wasn't great

so was January really that bad... now they have two choices. bring in quality loans and go for the playoffs, or continue the clear out and massive spend in the summer.. I for one will give them time

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Billy Davies long lost lovechild.

Default Re: dexters interview in the post today

I don't think January was that bad, I just think the actions during Jan contradicted what we were led to believe. Will post again......

“And with the January transfer window approaching, we feel it’s the right time to make a change.

“We are looking to bring in an ambitious manager with Premier League experience.”

.......the reason we were given for SOD's sacking in the club's official statement.

I actually think not backing Mcleish with permanent signings is the right way to go as he might not be the man for us, but it does show a switch in tact from the club. A switch in tact which they did not communicate to us and which left a lot of us confused.

Dex isn't going to indulge in a relative non-sequitur when he just signed a four and a half year deal, is he? I reckon he sees himself as a key component of that long term vision.

It looks more like a vision problem than a vision, to be frank.

Come on youse reds.

Quote Originally Posted by PynchonForest View Post

It looks more like a vision problem than a vision, to be frank.

Thats what they said to Boyd.

Buh dum tish!

They shoulda told him to cut his hair.

Oops, I'd better not talk about hair again.

What the owners say their vision is, and what they actually do are 2 entirely different things.

Dexter might play for the club but he's in no better a position to know what they are planning than anyone else.

Is Dex on the bench today? Not in the starting XI.

Quote Originally Posted by DillyBavies View Post
    What the owners say their vision is, and what they actually do are 2 entirely different things.

Dexter might play for the club but he's in no better a position to know what they are planning than anyone else.
    I disagree, I think questioning their intentions is a bit unfair because for me I have no doubts that they want what's best for the club.

The decisions they have made you have to question whether or not they are the right calls I agree with that.

But in all fairness, we've still made signings this month, 5 signings is more than I can recall for many many years. The Boyd situation is not a great one but as he mentioned the loan market will be open for us to soon. We've had a habit of making use in that window.

I suppose what I'm saying is the Boyd situation (as bad as it was) is almost clouding the entire month. Although we haven't used it to great effect that's nothing new. As much of a disappointment that is, don't recall this level of stick aimed at ND.

I aimed a lot of stick at Doughty, I think he made nothing but bad calls.

I think this transfer window has been very poor, they say they want promotion then you'd expect some money to be spent on quality players but it hasn't happened.

Some great deals have been done by some clubs, I'd say they are serious about promotion, I don't think the owners can be otherwise they'd have done the same.

Banned

ND took a lot of stick every transfer window, sometimes justified sometimes not. If we were ambling along going nowhere fast then there doesn't seem a lot of point in making buys out of desperation but if you're in top six then it makes no sense not to. Either way, I think this was our most productive January window since 2009 no?

If only they'd signed Burke...

This is the problem, no signings, no support for the manager, no ambition or no sense.

Banned

If only they'd signed Burke...

This is the problem, no signings, no support for the manager, no ambition or no sense.

I don't think we should pay over £500k for a 29 year old 2nd Division winger who's got six months left on his contract. Wait 'til the summer and judge them on that. Get a plan in place and bring the right players in during the summer rather than panic buying now and spunking God knows what money we don't need to now.

I don't think you can measure it like that. We need wingers.

Even if he was 35 and cost £1.5 million, if it meant we were more likely to get promotion, or it would address an imbalance in the squad, then you shouldn't balk at it since the alternative is definite failure.

That's just hypothetical of course, but if age was a problem then there were plenty more people out there we could have gone for.

But we didn't.

£500K is not a lot for a player these days, in fact in footballing terms it's peanuts.

We should have gone all out to sign a LB, and 2 wingers, and probably a high quality striker - that's probably all we need.

And a better manager of course.

This is how I understand and see things from the limited amount of information I have gathered.

The Boyd affair isn't looking great on Forest's record. It looks bad. Doing due diligence is good, but Boyd probably can see long enough for a three year contract or so.

Paying over the odds for Chris Burke makes little sense. I am more disappointed there hasn't been more solid scouting and search in the lower leagues. There are always some other clubs picking up a gem or two.

Stephen Ward, well, no idea really. If he was on PL wages, it made little sense to pay them long-term, even if Harding needs replacing.
    On the whole, the owners seem a bit risk-averse, which is probably a good thing. We have a fairly decent, but unbalanced squad with hardly no width to speak of.
    McLeish's transfer targets have been a bit, well, dull.
    What I am really not happy about is how Frank Clark has been dealt with. It is fine to look forward, but frankly, I think the club would never have been famous in Norway if it weren't for Clough and his teams. Cutting the cord to the past just like that seems odd, considering how Al Hasawi has mentioned the glory years before and how he wants a return to the top flight and all.

I am on the fence, basically. Underwhelmed by McLeish, hoping to be proven wrong. The owners, well, there is the question of funds.

I like that they have tied down a few contracts, but not getting a single penny for Camp seems like poor business, no matter how much of a dressing room mope he was.
    The loanee Jara seems like an astute signing.
    Before I slate the owners for January, I want to see how things look in April, and I am still happy we signed a busload of players before the season. I do feel a bit skeptical about that change of personnel leading to Omar's exit and Fawaz become the Forest Führer single-handedly, and dismissing almost the entire staff seems rash. And finally, there is the sudden change of expectations. I sincerely doubt any club could go from almost relegated to promotion without some continuity and heavy investment. We don't have continuity, except McGugan (not really finding his way anymore), Cohen (injured almost 2/3 of last season) or Camp (lost in Swansea).

Banned

I don't think you can measure it like that. We need wingers.

Even if he was 35 and cost £1.5 million, if it meant we were more likely to get promotion, or it would address an imbalance in the squad, then you shouldn't balk at it since the alternative is definite failure.

That's just hypothetical of course, but if age was a problem then there were plenty more people out there we could have gone for.

But we didn't.

£500K is not a lot for a player these days, in fact in footballing terms it's peanuts.

We should have gone all out to sign a LB, and 2 wingers, and probably a high quality striker - that's probably all we need.

And a better manager of course.

Fair enough. I don't know anything about Burke to be honest, maybe he's the nuts so would be worth a punt. We desperately need wingers but it wouldn't be Forest if we had balance on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowntree View Post

Fair enough. I don't know anything about Burke to be honest, maybe he's the nuts so would be worth a punt. We desperately need wingers but it wouldn't be Forest if we had balance on the pitch.
    LoL that's true, when was the last time we had that?

We've been looking for a left back since Billy was manager.

Here's the article for anyone who hasn't read it

FOR Dexter Blackstock, it is all about the personal touch.

The striker admits he could have earned more money, had he waited until the summer and moved elsewhere on a free transfer.

But, instead, during a chat over dinner, he was persuaded to commit the best days of his career to Nottingham Forest.

While the financial details were ironed out later on, it was a conversation with owner Fawaz Al Hasawi that convinced Blackstock to commit the next four-and-a-half years to the Reds.

"It was not quite settled over dinner, but we did have discussions there," said Blackstock. "And it was important to talk face-to-face.

"It is about how the club is going to progress. It would not make sense to me to sign a long-term deal with a club, if their ambitions do not match up with mine.

"It was important that they match my ambition and, equally, that I match their ambition.

"There would have been options in the summer, there would have been interest from other clubs.

"You know how football works these days, out of contract players can generate a lot of interest.

"Everyone in life wants something for nothing, if they can get it.

"I could have waited, I could have looked to see if I could get more money.

"But, for me it was about stability – and I also believe in the Nottingham Forest project that was sold to me.

"The owners are here for the long term and I am backing the whole project they described to me.

"They offered me a long term deal to be part of it and I thought to myself 'why not?'."

Part of the owners' long term vision, very clearly, is to tie down key players to long contracts.

Chris Cohen was the first to commit, early in the campaign, he was followed by Blackstock and now Radi Majewski.

"It was not what I had asked for, it was something the club proposed," said Blackstock.

"I gave it some thought, because it is the main part of my career.

"I did weigh up whether to wait until the summer and see what my options were.

"But I thought it felt right to sign and move forward.

"It is great to sign a long term deal, I would not say it was sorted early – normally when players go into the last year of their contract it gets sorted in the summer.

"But Forest have adopted a different policy over the years and have often left it until the end of the contract before negotiating a new one.

"But it was a good time for both parties to come together and reach an agreement.

"I am only 26, so it is not as if I am 30 and it is taking me towards the end of my career.

"I am at a good age and I am happy at the club, so it made sense.

"I will be here for the main years of my career. So it was a massive decision to commit.

"But I firmly believe that, during that period of time, Forest will be a Premier League club."

Now Blackstock's own future is decided, the player hopes to see Forest ensure that this season can end on a positive note – starting at Birmingham today.

"It has been a weird season, in terms of consistency," said Blackstock. "We are sitting not far off the play-offs, but we have not had consistency all season. We can be brilliant one day and the opposite the next.

"In this league, it is so difficult to perform at the same level week in, week out.

"You are dealing with different teams, different styles, different atmospheres and different challenges every week. But, at the end of the season, the team who copes with that best; who finds that consistency will be at the top of the table.

"There is no secret to that. We can definitely still find that, but we have to start soon.

"We are going into February and it has to happen now, because the games are running out. We have to go now, it has to happen now."

But, if it does not happen for Blackstock and Forest this season, at least the striker should be around for another four attempts at winning promotion.

I like Dex I really do, I think he's a consummate professional, but if this is true:

"Part of the owners' long term vision, very clearly, is to tie down key players to long contracts."

And they see Dex as a key player, then we are sadly not going anywhere fast.

He simply isn't that good, and definitely isn't Premiership quality.

So if we need him for 4 1/2 years isn't that stating where we're going to be in 4 1/2 years from now?

I like Trains

I like Dex I really do, I think he's a consummate professional, but if this is true:

"Part of the owners' long term vision, very clearly, is to tie down key players to long contracts."

So if we need him for 4 1/2 years isn't that stating where we're going to be in 4 1/2 years from now?
    Not if they don't agree with your opinion of Dex.

I don't think the owners really know what they are doing. They just heard people on Twitter begging for him to get a new deal, and they
    just pandered to the supporters' wishes. Only we didn't want a contract that long!

"Shoulda played me today Alex"

It's all about mid-table...

Dex's personal security was his priority (which is right) and he has that now, he's more honest than most and will put a shift in, he'll miss more than he scores but that's Dex.

He'll be a huge asset this season if we are in danger of going down, he'll fight his nuts off.

Billy Davies long lost lovechild.

Nah, Dex is just hitting his prime. Two misses the other week doesn't mean owt in the grander scheme of things. Given the right manager Dex is top of the Champ level, and at his age he's still time to improve to step up to the Prem.

We also need to bare in mind the likelyhood of Sharp being here next year is getting slimmer by the day. We need to keep players who will stay at the club, as after the Boyd incident I don't think many will be mega-keen to sign for us.